Like Tree15Likes

VRP pistons

Old 08-13-2018, 12:45 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default VRP pistons

I have to ask if they are worth the money? The game changers at 29.00 bucks for two? Anyone have any experience with them please letís discuss🤙🏻
Old 08-13-2018, 01:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

i use the vx3s in my SOAR cars, i get allot of comments on how well my cars react on rough surfaces. even had ty tessmann say my car looked really good through a certain section at a race earlier this year.
ive never run the game changers as i cant get them at a discount and i tend to be cheap haha
mattythegreat likes this.
Old 08-13-2018, 01:39 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by HaulinBass View Post
i use the vx3s in my SOAR cars, i get allot of comments on how well my cars react on rough surfaces. even had ty tessmann say my car looked really good through a certain section at a race earlier this year.
ive never run the game changers as i cant get them at a discount and i tend to be cheap haha
can you explain what hole and size they using let me know about your track you race on too a bit please
Old 08-13-2018, 02:06 PM
Tech Elite

i use 1.5x5 in buggy and 1.2x8 front and 1.3x8 rears in truggy. my local track is big rough and low girp. the ty comments were from an indoor race with a similar layout to a neo race on a mix of sand,dirt and horse poop a fairly smooth track with a section that was like going down stairs(this is the spot ty said my car looked really good)
Old 08-13-2018, 02:08 PM
Tech Regular

i use 1.5x5 in buggy and 1.2x8 front and 1.3x8 rears in truggy. my local track is big rough and low girp. the ty comments were from an indoor race with a similar layout to a neo race on a mix of sand,dirt and horse poop a fairly smooth track with a section that was like going down stairs(this is the spot ty said my car looked really good)
Same pistons for both tracks?
Old 08-13-2018, 02:56 PM
Tech Elite

yes it was fairly cold at the indoor race so i actually went a little thinner on oil there. at home i run 35front and27.5 rear if its colder and 37.5 and 32.5 when its hot. I tend not to change pistons once i find something i like and change my oils and springs to suit the track and get the car running how i like.
Old 08-13-2018, 06:30 PM
Tech Regular

yes it was fairly cold at the indoor race so i actually went a little thinner on oil there. at home i run 35front and27.5 rear if its colder and 37.5 and 32.5 when its hot. I tend not to change pistons once i find something i like and change my oils and springs to suit the track and get the car running how i like.
great info thank you.
Old 08-13-2018, 08:12 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I switched to VRP V3’s with the exact same hole/size combination as stock and it felt like the car was slightly more planted/glued to the track. I didn’t notice much else but I do believe they are worth the money.
Old 08-14-2018, 05:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Well worth the money. We haven’t got to really test the Gamechangers though. XV3’s are awesome though.
Old 08-14-2018, 12:00 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Been running Gamechangers for almost 2 years now. You can go over to the VRP thread and read the reports on what we are doing. Long story short I’ve sold about 30 sets locally to various skill level drivers, and all drivers have improved in a very short amount of time.
Old 08-14-2018, 12:02 PM
Tech Addict

I’ve also personally setup pistons for tekno, losi, Mugen, and AE cars. They do take a bit of time to get correct oil packages figured out. But after that I don’t change anything from track to track. Big or small, smooth or rough. The pistons do the work for you.
RandyJones likes this.
Old 08-14-2018, 12:48 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Jwilliams5 View Post
Iíve also personally setup pistons for tekno, losi, Mugen, and AE cars. They do take a bit of time to get correct oil packages figured out. But after that I donít change anything from track to track. Big or small, smooth or rough. The pistons do the work for you.
Help me get started then.. I have a losi 8ight T 4.0 and a Mugen MbX8.. I raced back in the day like ten years ago when the first 8ight came to scene... Our town is getting a huge track real soon not sure the dirt or layout they plan to have but I do know the track is gonna be huge... My guess is they are gonna get some kind of treated dirt, still waiting for it to finish up.
Old 08-14-2018, 01:24 PM
Tech Addict

Well I have found that the 8 hole pistons aren’t really necessary on the east coast as we don’t have tracks that are totally blown out. I generally use the 6 hole pistons on either buggy or truggy. The buggy using medium pack or light pack if your car is dropped to the minimum weight limit. The truggy I would use a high pack piston to cope with the extra weight. I personally prefer to order the standard 1.3mm piston setups in whichever pack would suit each car. Then drill the 4 exposed holes to 1.5-1.6mm. As this lightens the feel of the piston allowing you to use a bit thicker oil. The working theory behind this is the thicker fluid will actuate the CFV or Carbon Flex Valve at a much more consistent rate than the thinner fluids. I like to refer to the CFV as “speed sensitive dampening”. When you say it like this, it’s suddenly a bit easier to wrap your head around the “how”, and “why” these pistons are working. My MBX7R ran 1.3/1.6 6 hole MP pistons, and my MBX7TR ran 1.3/1.6 6 hole HP pistons. Both with standard rebound valves. The hard rebound valves excell on smooth tracks. Depending on track temps I usually run 35/30 front/rear. If you need anything more specific feel free to ask away! I am here to help with the VRP pistons in any way possible. Or anything else for that matter.
Old 08-14-2018, 01:32 PM
Tech Addict

Although I am currently running a EB48.4 Buggy, I still love the feel of the 1./1.6 6 hole HP pistons. Running 35/30 ae brand oils. We have a local track with huge jumps and rhythm sections as well as local tracks with large to smaller jumps that are either bumpy or butter smooth. The shock package excels on this very wide spectrum of tracks with no changes needed. Subtle setup changes of course, but the shock package week in, week out, track to track is the same.
Old 08-14-2018, 01:50 PM
Tech Regular

Newbie question time, what’s the PACK your talking about?

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service