Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
.21 vs .28 Engines in 2018 >

.21 vs .28 Engines in 2018

.21 vs .28 Engines in 2018

Old 08-12-2018, 10:00 AM
Tech Initiate

Questions?? .21 vs .28 Engines in 2018

Hi there,

I am someone who's been away from the hobby since 2011, and away from nitro since around 2008. I am thinking about getting back into it, and rebuilding/restoring my Associated SC8e and converting it to nitro, because I frankly got bored of electric quickly after the brushless/lipo explosion in the late 00s, and despite the amount of cool trucks like the Axial Yeti or the Traxxas Desert Truck, electric just doesn't interest me anymore. I've been looking around at engines, and noticed that the range of .28 and above engines seem to be the exact same engines that were on sale a decade ago without any development, whereas obviously there has been a constant development of .21 engines due to the 1/8 racing scene. In the old days, I had the mentality of 'no replacement for displacement', though I am wondering how true that really is anymore.

What is both the power and reliability like of any given modern race spec .21 in comparison to your average .28+ engine? My max budget is around $350-$400, and I am a basher who typically plays on large open grassy fields with, and moist dirt with lots of bumps and jumps.

Guidance is greatly appreciated. ​​​​​​​Thanks.
Old 08-13-2018, 01:35 PM
Tech Elite

Bash, go a head with the .28. Racing you want a better usable power band and better fuel consumption, thats why a .21 more popular than .28.
Old 08-13-2018, 01:44 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Buy a Nova 28-8 and get it modded. Pair it with a 9886 pipe and 41032 header.
Old 08-14-2018, 06:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

If your looking for power, go for a .28 or larger. The.21ís keep getting remade/refined, but itís only relevant for racing. The racing scene requires power, but more importantly, fuel mileage and a usable power band. Since Nitro isnít really all that popular anymore compared to electric, thatís why thereís really no development in the larger displacement engines since you were last in the hobby. Just get one of the larger displacement engines and let it rip!!
Old 08-17-2018, 09:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 126 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Micah78 View Post
If your looking for power, go for a .28 or larger. The.21ís keep getting remade/refined, but itís only relevant for racing. The racing scene requires power, but more importantly, fuel mileage and a usable power band. Since Nitro isnít really all that popular anymore compared to electric, thatís why thereís really no development in the larger displacement engines since you were last in the hobby. Just get one of the larger displacement engines and let it rip!!
+1. Most .25+ engines just donít get the fuel mileage of a .21. An example is when I ran an OS .28xz for a while. My average run times where right around 8:45 compared to the numerous .21ís ( Reds, OS, and Nova) I have run and been able to average 10:30.

Yes, go have fun with a big nitro engine. Loved my OS .28xz years back.
Old 08-17-2018, 10:02 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'm still wondering how a Reds Corsa Lunga compares to a .28 in terms of power.