R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Truggy? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/1023640-truggy.html)

CBren32 08-11-2018 07:24 PM

Truggy?

Looking for a new Truggy Kit. I am looking at a lot of the brands, but mostly Serpent, Kyosho, and TLR. Serpent, because I can get very cheap parts where I am. Kyosho, because...well it's a Kyosho. TLR because this is the kit I've been looking to get for a while, the quality of Losi kit and the plastics are top quality, as well as the TLR Truggy, is a very nice do it all RC.

Just looking for suggestions for what people consider the best Truggy kits out there? I am open to many options, just going to put a .28 on there and have it as a basher. Only want kits, and don't really have a budget just looking for top of the line!

Things that I look for in the kit:
  • Easy to work on
  • Big block engine access
  • Many mods/upgrades options from different companies (Would like lots of options for different parts)
  • Versatile (Racing/bashing)
  • Parts access
Please post below or PM me! Thank you guys so much!

Cardiak 08-11-2018 07:59 PM

My next kit is for sure the Tekno truggy. Lifetime 50% warranty and the most durable kit. I like that my Mugen has tons of aftermarket support, super high quality, and that it would be bulletproof if it weren't for the supposedly weak lower front arms which can be swapped to Sworkz or AE. If I had known what I know now back when I made my purchase, I'm 99% sure I would have gotten the Tekno.

CBren32 08-11-2018 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Cardiak (Post 15277866)
My next kit is for sure the Tekno truggy. Lifetime 50% warranty and the most durable kit. I like that my Mugen has tons of aftermarket support, super high quality, and that it would be bulletproof if it weren't for the supposedly weak lower front arms which can be swapped to Sworkz or AE. If I had known what I know now back when I made my purchase, I'm 99% sure I would have gotten the Tekno.

Yeah, I hear ya' on Tekno. Very high quality and that 50% off insurance that you have on your parts is absolutely amazing. I need to look more into the Truggy. I almost got the buggy before my Mugen, but didn't. Thanks for that insight man, appreciate it.

destroyer 210 08-12-2018 06:32 AM

The serpents a great truggy but old and parts are getting harder to find. I keep hearing word of a new serpent, but I also like the tekno and xray.

savage24x 08-12-2018 02:32 PM

I run the serpent and it consistently keeps up with the rest of the competition. If you check out the truggy thread, most people claim how it's the most stable and how well the steering is.

exheliguy 08-12-2018 03:26 PM

I'm a kyosho guy and the truggy as great as it is after buying all the proper aluminum parts is great. But impossible to find a truggy now. If I had to start over I'd get " in this order" X-ray, Tekno or Mugen.

CBren32 08-12-2018 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by destroyer 210 (Post 15278053)
The serpents a great truggy but old and parts are getting harder to find. I keep hearing word of a new serpent, but I also like the tekno and xray.

I actually have a way to get a decent inventory of Serpent parts, that's the main reason I wanted Serpent. I've also read the thread as listed above and saw those same conclusions. If people are saying the Serpent is still top of the line and keeps up with the newer platforms, I see no reason to not get it? Are Serpents fairly easy to work on and do they have good aftermarket support? Those are my concerns right now. Thanks for all the help, fellas.

savage24x 08-13-2018 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by CBren32 (Post 15278361)
I actually have a way to get a decent inventory of Serpent parts, that's the main reason I wanted Serpent. I've also read the thread as listed above and saw those same conclusions. If people are saying the Serpent is still top of the line and keeps up with the newer platforms, I see no reason to not get it? Are Serpents fairly easy to work on and do they have good aftermarket support? Those are my concerns right now. Thanks for all the help, fellas.

They aren't the best to work on (radio tray), and don't have a large aftermarket supply... They don't have a large pro-driver lineup either, only Billy Easton and Cody King for the pro classes in US. They make an amazing product that drives better than any other truggy I've driven and don't have much media attention, which is what I think their downfall is. The platform is 7 years old with a rumor of a new truggy on the horizon.

CBren32 08-13-2018 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by savage24x (Post 15278674)
They aren't the best to work on (radio tray), and don't have a large aftermarket supply... They don't have a large pro-driver lineup either, only Billy Easton and Cody King for the pro classes in US. They make an amazing product that drives better than any other truggy I've driven and don't have much media attention, which is what I think their downfall is. The platform is 7 years old with a rumor of a new truggy on the horizon.

Yeah, I heard some noise about a new rig, but not in the waiting season right now. All the points seem very good, thank you. I think it's between Tekno, Serpent and Kyosho...maybe Xray too, know very little about their brand though so not sure about their parts support, aftermarket supplies, ease of build/maintainmence, durability, etc. Of course I'd like to pay the same price for a platform that has been updated within a few recent years, but if the Serpent really is up there hand and hand with all the top companies right now I see no reason to pass on it.

token 08-13-2018 01:30 PM

I've driven them all, and I'll stick with my TLR 8ight-T 4.0

CBren32 08-13-2018 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by token (Post 15278949)

Any specific reasons why..?

Cardiak 08-13-2018 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by token (Post 15278949)

From what I hear, TLR kits aren't even on par with Xray, Serpent, Mugen, Kyosho or Tekno as far as quality goes.

Cardiak 08-13-2018 03:42 PM

CBren32 08-13-2018 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Cardiak (Post 15279063)
From what I hear, TLR kits aren't even on par with Xray, Serpent, Mugen, Kyosh or Tekno as far as quality goes.

That's exactly what I've known it to be as well, but who knows. I'm still in between lol, I keep going back and forth. I need to see what the aftermarket support looks like for the Tekno's. From what I know Kyosho and Mugen have very good aftermarket support, which is a big aspect of what I am looking for. But, I never really considered Mugen due to not hearing good things about their Truggy, but who knows.

CBren32 08-13-2018 08:46 PM

Well, pulled the trigger and decided to get the Serpent truggy. Cheap, quality and I have good support on parts. I ended up finding the Team Edition for $630, which I couldn't go wrong with.