Losi 8ight and 8ight T RTR >

Losi 8ight and 8ight T RTR

Like Tree2Likes

Losi 8ight and 8ight T RTR

Old 07-29-2018, 04:55 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Losi 8ight and 8ight T RTR

Alright fellas, I've been out of the game for about 12 years now. However, I'm looking to get back into it in a limited fashion. My wife has also expressed interest in it. Therefore I HAVE to buy her a car.

I still have a room full of rc equipment in storage, but most of that is outdated. My current thought process is to buy two RTR kits. I loved racing buggies in the day and my wife said she likes the truggies. I have yet to find a better price on a standard kit than the losi 8ight and 8ight T kits.

Here are my questions:
1. Is there any commonality between parts on the two?
2. Besides the radio systems, what should be upgraded first?
3. Are these solid kits or will they just be a test of my patience?
4. Do most hobby shops stock parts for these?

Thanks in advance!

Ethan
Old 07-29-2018, 07:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Welcome back,

I was in the same boat as you and wanted to come back, competitive and a little bit of alone time/bashing but hopefully on a budget. Losi then released these. These RTR's are very capable out of the box and more so with just a few key upgrades. Check out my thread:

Losi 8IGHT Nitro 1/8 4WD RTR Buggy - v.2016/17

To answer your questions:

-Yes, they are pretty much a cheaper version of the race kits. They are similar to the 3.0 line of buggy/truggy. They share a lot of the same parts. Just some parts are made with lesser quality to keep costs down like the diffs, shocks, shock towers, etc.
-Check out the thread. The radio aint bad. I would only upgrade the steering servo with that of one with high torque, more than 300oz/in. Change out the throttle servo, but its not a priority. I would then go with the shocks and shock towers off the 3.0/4.0.
-I have not broken anything on the buggy except the rear ring and pinion, which seems to be a common issue. Check the thread as well. I have only replaced a bent hinge pin or 2. Thats it!
Check your local hobby shop to see if they stock TLR 3.0/4.0 parts. You should be good. If not, Amainhobbies.com or absolutehobbyz.com are the go to right now.
Old 07-30-2018, 06:47 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Evoking1230 View Post
Welcome back,

I was in the same boat as you and wanted to come back, competitive and a little bit of alone time/bashing but hopefully on a budget. Losi then released these. These RTR's are very capable out of the box and more so with just a few key upgrades. Check out my thread:

Losi 8IGHT Nitro 1/8 4WD RTR Buggy - v.2016/17

To answer your questions:

-Yes, they are pretty much a cheaper version of the race kits. They are similar to the 3.0 line of buggy/truggy. They share a lot of the same parts. Just some parts are made with lesser quality to keep costs down like the diffs, shocks, shock towers, etc.
-Check out the thread. The radio aint bad. I would only upgrade the steering servo with that of one with high torque, more than 300oz/in. Change out the throttle servo, but its not a priority. I would then go with the shocks and shock towers off the 3.0/4.0.
-I have not broken anything on the buggy except the rear ring and pinion, which seems to be a common issue. Check the thread as well. I have only replaced a bent hinge pin or 2. Thats it!
Check your local hobby shop to see if they stock TLR 3.0/4.0 parts. You should be good. If not, Amainhobbies.com or absolutehobbyz.com are the go to right now.
Excellent write up! That's exactly what I'm looking for. My wife and I are thinking about a potential relocation to South Carolina, so I will be checking out the tracks and hobby shops in the Charleston and Greenville area to see what they stock. If they stock a lot of Losi stuff, then I'm sold! Again, thanks for doing the write up. It really helped.

Old 08-01-2018, 01:54 PM
Tech Master

You're welcome!

Anytime :-D
Old 08-16-2018, 02:39 AM
Tech Apprentice

that was great
Old 08-16-2018, 03:16 AM
Tech Initiate

I'm not sure if this is relevant to you as you are going with the Nitro version, but I'm not very happy with the 8ight E RTR, there are quite a few that aren't happy with it due to the plastic shocks "sagging", they are also 15mm and not 16mm like the TLR ones. It all depends if you will race or bash with them, but for racing I've been struggling to get ride height. I would replace the shocks with proper TLR aluminium bodied shocks, will also require new springs.
Old 08-16-2018, 07:00 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by nickcza View Post
I'm not sure if this is relevant to you as you are going with the Nitro version, but I'm not very happy with the 8ight E RTR, there are quite a few that aren't happy with it due to the plastic shocks "sagging", they are also 15mm and not 16mm like the TLR ones. It all depends if you will race or bash with them, but for racing I've been struggling to get ride height. I would replace the shocks with proper TLR aluminium bodied shocks, will also require new springs.
Surprisingly, mine didn't have that issue.

I know the shock springs are softer than the stuff found on the race kits but not so soft that it would sag. Was yours because maybe not enough oil in the shocks?
Old 08-16-2018, 09:26 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by empaint3 View Post
Excellent write up! That's exactly what I'm looking for. My wife and I are thinking about a potential relocation to South Carolina, so I will be checking out the tracks and hobby shops in the Charleston and Greenville area to see what they stock. If they stock a lot of Losi stuff, then I'm sold! Again, thanks for doing the write up. It really helped.
in myrtle beach South Carolina
Outside track 1/8 scale. Badlands Rc supercross. Look it up on Facebook good track.
Also on Facebook look up
beach rc 1/10 only track and hobby shop.
They stock Losi TLR parts there. Great shop and great track
Old 08-16-2018, 11:08 PM
Tech Initiate

Surprisingly, mine didn't have that issue.

I know the shock springs are softer than the stuff found on the race kits but not so soft that it would sag. Was yours because maybe not enough oil in the shocks?
I will double check, and put in all new shock oil and get back to you. But surely oil shouldn't affect ride height while the buggy is stationary...

Old 08-17-2018, 12:10 AM
Tech Initiate

If you look at the photos & videos on the Losi website and compare the pictures of the Kit and the RTR versions (both electric and nitro versions)
you will see that the RTR version the shock collars are all the way down on the front with no extra thread available to increase ride height. With the kit version the collar is in the middle of the thread leaving a lot more adjustment to increase ride height. Assuming the cars in the pictures & videos are setup correctly, this in itself appears to show a sagging issue with the 15mm plastic shocks.

Last edited by nickcza; 08-17-2018 at 02:38 AM.
Old 08-18-2018, 02:14 PM
Tech Master

I will double check, and put in all new shock oil and get back to you. But surely oil shouldn't affect ride height while the buggy is stationary...
I had a shock bleed out all its oil in the right rear during an hour long main(leaked out through the top as I forgot to crank it down) and after pulling it off the track, the right rear was at a lot lower height than the rest of the shocks. Had very little oil in it.

Now I'm not saying this is your case but why would you want to increase ride height? This RTR is geared more towards entry-level racing and the occasional bashing. If I remember correctly, the ride height on the plastic shocks installed was what it is for a standard setup 27F/29R.

Sadly, this is not one of those RTR's that can raise ride height to go over rocks/rough terrain. Otherwise, it functions just as it was designed. An entry level RTR racing buggy. :-)
Old 08-18-2018, 10:28 PM
Tech Initiate

I had a shock bleed out all its oil in the right rear during an hour long main(leaked out through the top as I forgot to crank it down) and after pulling it off the track, the right rear was at a lot lower height than the rest of the shocks. Had very little oil in it.

Now I'm not saying this is your case but why would you want to increase ride height? This RTR is geared more towards entry-level racing and the occasional bashing. If I remember correctly, the ride height on the plastic shocks installed was what it is for a standard setup 27F/29R.

Sadly, this is not one of those RTR's that can raise ride height to go over rocks/rough terrain. Otherwise, it functions just as it was designed. An entry level RTR racing buggy. :-)
I checked the oil in the shocks, and they were fine, full to the top. The Hobby Shop sold me the RTR for racing, and the front ride height is sitting at 23mm with the collars as far down as possible. Our track is quite bumpy and the experienced guys were telling me to increase my ride height, and I can't ... I agree, this RTR is better for bashing, I should have gotten a second hand race kit version instead. I really like the car otherwise, very well built, it's just the shocks that are frustrating me.
Old 08-19-2018, 07:04 PM
Tech Master

I checked the oil in the shocks, and they were fine, full to the top. The Hobby Shop sold me the RTR for racing, and the front ride height is sitting at 23mm with the collars as far down as possible. Our track is quite bumpy and the experienced guys were telling me to increase my ride height, and I can't ... I agree, this RTR is better for bashing, I should have gotten a second hand race kit version instead. I really like the car otherwise, very well built, it's just the shocks that are frustrating me.
something is definitely up. My RTR was at 27mm front.

How are you measuring your ride height?

Post pics of your front end?
Old 08-20-2018, 10:16 AM
Tech Elite

What is your droop set at? Make sure the screws going into the front hubs are not to tight. With the shocks off, make sure the arms raise and fall freely. Shocks are a BIG upgrade for that car.
Old 08-20-2018, 07:17 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by token View Post
What is your droop set at? Make sure the screws going into the front hubs are not to tight. With the shocks off, make sure the arms raise and fall freely. Shocks are a BIG upgrade for that car.
Agreed. Car was pretty decent for a RTR. Added the TLR 16mm shocks and it came to life!

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service