Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
TLR 8ight 4.0 Electronics >

TLR 8ight 4.0 Electronics

TLR 8ight 4.0 Electronics

Old 06-26-2018, 06:38 PM
Tech Rookie

Default TLR 8ight 4.0 Electronics

Hi guys,

I don't post here often but I am currently working on my first build of a 1/8th scale nitro buggy, I have had a few RTRs in the past but this is my first top to bottom build. I am getting close to finishing the roller and I started thinking about how to power the receiver and servos and realized I have not idea what to look for here. I am looking to use one my Futaba receivers (R603FF), let me know if this might not work for this. From what I can tell I just need a battery and a switch. I am looking for a bit of help on what to look for in these. My previous RTRs ran all this on NiMHs but I am wondering if Lipos are used today. My biggest concern is voltage I don't want to blow the switch or my receiver, the material about the receiver recommends 6V NiCd battery does it matter if it is NiCd or lipo as long as the Voltage is good? Sorry I am rambling a bit. Any advice on this would be appreciated I don't really ahve a hobby shop or track to go to I have to drive about 3-5 hours to get to any of the tracks I race at and have to order everything so I want to get it right.
Old 06-27-2018, 04:29 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

All I know for sure it that in order to use a lipo you need high voltage servos.. if not you need a bec to adjust the voltage... The recover is fine I would say.
Old 06-27-2018, 07:33 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

2-cell LiPo receiver packs are getting more common, but require high voltage servos or a voltage regulator. Other options are 5-cell NiMH packs or 2-cell LiFePO4 packs. LiFePO4 packs are probably the best because they are 3.3v/cell nominal (6.6v for 2S), so no regulator is needed AND theyíre far more stable and fire safe as compared to LiPo. You can run them damn near dead and still recharge them too. I am switching to LiFE packs for everything as I can afford to do because it is a better technology IMO.
Old 06-27-2018, 09:21 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by ChelseaFCFA View Post
Hi guys,

I don't post here often but I am currently working on my first build of a 1/8th scale nitro buggy, I have had a few RTRs in the past but this is my first top to bottom build. I am getting close to finishing the roller and I started thinking about how to power the receiver and servos and realized I have not idea what to look for here. I am looking to use one my Futaba receivers (R603FF), let me know if this might not work for this. From what I can tell I just need a battery and a switch. I am looking for a bit of help on what to look for in these. My previous RTRs ran all this on NiMHs but I am wondering if Lipos are used today. My biggest concern is voltage I don't want to blow the switch or my receiver, the material about the receiver recommends 6V NiCd battery does it matter if it is NiCd or lipo as long as the Voltage is good? Sorry I am rambling a bit. Any advice on this would be appreciated I don't really ahve a hobby shop or track to go to I have to drive about 3-5 hours to get to any of the tracks I race at and have to order everything so I want to get it right.
I was once scared of lipos but I've been running them for that lat 5 or so years and never had one issue. The only thing to keep in mind to not store them fully charged. I also just use a standard spekturn switch.

I'd suggest

7.4V 2000mAh 2S 5C LiPo Receiver Pack: 1/8
DYN1419

S6390BL Ultra Torque High Speed Brushless HV Servo x2
SPMSS6390BL

8IGHT/8IGHT-T 3.0/4.0 Starter Box
TLR99059

Old 06-27-2018, 09:53 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks to all that posted, this will certainly help me make some decisions on where to go on this.
Old 06-27-2018, 10:02 AM
Tech Rookie

[QUOTE=token;15252532]I was once scared of lipos but I've been running them for that lat 5 or so years and never had one issue. The only thing to keep in mind to not store them fully charged. I also just use a standard spekturn switch.

When using the Lipo batteries do you have to have something between the receiver and the switch, so the receiver does not get burned up, assuming I use a HV servo?