Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Changing gearing ratio question >

Changing gearing ratio question

Changing gearing ratio question

Old 06-15-2018, 02:38 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Changing gearing ratio question

Hello, I've been searching for about 3-4 hours and didn't find the exact answer to my question so here it is . I know everything about gearing ratios and pitch/module and I wanted to know how to reduce gearing. What i don't get is...if I get, say, a smaller pinion or larger spurgear...how will I know that it fits in the same shaft distance? I mean...should I change both? so for a smaller pinion I match a bigger spurgear ? or can I just get a smaller pinion and adjust that distance to match? And if so is there a limiting factor in that adjustment? I hope you understand what I am asking to know and it's not too dumb Thanks in advance
Old 06-15-2018, 09:13 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

If it's a nitro car it should accept most available gears with the movement in the slot for the engine mount
I have an MP9 and can use like 3 spurs and a 13 or 14 pinion
If you're a newbie, your issue is likely not the gearing, more the tuning or something else if you're down on power
Old 06-15-2018, 02:09 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Adamska27 View Post
If it's a nitro car it should accept most available gears with the movement in the slot for the engine mount
I have an MP9 and can use like 3 spurs and a 13 or 14 pinion
If you're a newbie, your issue is likely not the gearing, more the tuning or something else if you're down on power
Nice, so there is a way to adjust the distance...Well it's not that I am a complete newbie..I have been running it for 2-3 years and pretty much know how to tune it. I just got bored and want to start modding it and learning from it For example I am think of adding longer springs/shocks and bigger tires so I increase its height and stuff like that. I have a kyosho mfr (2 speeds so I don't know if I am able to mess with gearing ) btw, but I don't seem to find anything relevant in forums..maybe it's not a common car . Thanks anyway.