good loctite anywhere? >

good loctite anywhere?

Like Tree1Likes

good loctite anywhere?

Old 06-10-2018, 06:36 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default good loctite anywhere?

Anyone know what brand loctite Tekno kits uses? permatex/loctite blues are so watered down it seems where the little tube of the blue stuff that comes with a tekno kit is so dark blue and thick and always seems to never fail. Is there a brand that I can get that from?
Old 06-11-2018, 06:51 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Not sure on the brand, but I don't use the kit thread locker. I use the permatex blue gel loctite and it has worked great for me. Permatex® Medium Strength Threadlocker BLUE Gel

I'm not a big fan of the liquid thread lock because it seems to separate in the tube after it had been opened. I had gotten into the habit of shaking it before use. You should be able to find the kit thread lock on ebay from the kit dismantlers, but you might have to buy all the kit fluids to get it.

Another option would be to contact Tekno directly, I don't know if they tell you who makes it, but they might sell you some tubes directly.
Old 06-11-2018, 07:51 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

In my full-size sprint car days, I would use a bit of Permatex high heat (the orange stuff) on the threads of bolts for the kingpins, spindles, and other fasteners which did not already use a locknut.

In RC racing, I got tired of rounding out set screws and other fasteners while using medium or high strength loctite. While the high heat silicone is a bit messier to clean up, what you are really trying to accomplish is to keep fasteners from vibrating loose. I use a small amount this for the setscrew in the pipe, engine mounts, and many other metal to metal locations on my Nitro and eBuggy which do not depend on a locknut. I have not had a problem.
Old 06-11-2018, 01:10 PM
Tech Regular

thanks for the input. So far permatex blue or loctite 242 blue just seem watered down compared to the kits loctite. I have had motor mounts come loose fairly often also the center nut holding the clutch has came looser. I was also thinking maybe not enough time to dry but I need to change out the clutch bearing often
Old 06-11-2018, 01:31 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robracing View Post
In my full-size sprint car days, I would use a bit of Permatex high heat (the orange stuff) on the threads of bolts for the kingpins, spindles, and other fasteners which did not already use a locknut.

In RC racing, I got tired of rounding out set screws and other fasteners while using medium or high strength loctite. While the high heat silicone is a bit messier to clean up, what you are really trying to accomplish is to keep fasteners from vibrating loose. I use a small amount this for the setscrew in the pipe, engine mounts, and many other metal to metal locations on my Nitro and eBuggy which do not depend on a locknut. I have not had a problem.
And to clarify my above post, I do use Red loctite for the clutch nut. Too much going on there to try anything different.

Old 06-11-2018, 03:56 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

An old trick I was taught especially for nitro is to use a mix of 50% blue and 50% red threadlock in high stress areas and areas where you won’t be disassembling a lot. It keeps the screw locked in but can still be broken loose without heat
Old 06-11-2018, 04:03 PM
ASA
Tech Adept

Wurth blue Loctite......I have been a motorcycle mechanic for 20 odd years and this stuff is really good!....use on my rc stuff and had nothing come loose but is still easy enough to crack off the screws when I need to.
Old 06-11-2018, 04:25 PM
Tech Master

Good Loctite. thers a lot see.. I lol that double talk I use it I never use it always on every rc screw even nylocs,
Old 06-11-2018, 04:27 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by ASA View Post
Wurth blue Loctite......I have been a motorcycle mechanic for 20 odd years and this stuff is really good!....use on my rc stuff and had nothing come loose but is still easy enough to crack off the screws when I need to.
that looks just like the kit loctite. The deep blue color and it looks really thick. Thanks for the tip on that.
Old 06-11-2018, 04:27 PM
Tech Master

Thumbs down

…….……………………………………...sotrry double post some 331 error

Last edited by the rc guy; 06-11-2018 at 04:30 PM. Reason: double post got a weird errror that why theres 2
Old 06-11-2018, 04:30 PM
Tech Regular

609 pretty good stuff? so far that Wurth seems like a great choice
Old 06-11-2018, 09:45 PM
Tech Regular

Harbor freight you can get loctite cheap it's like 2 bucks
Old 06-12-2018, 04:11 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I use blue Locktite 242. I use it on certain screws - clutch retaining screw, engine mount, and that’s it. I don’t use it on anything else typically. Works fine.

The “watered down” stuff will wick down the screw giving you a little better hold in some cases.
Chris Reilly likes this.
Old 06-12-2018, 08:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

this stuff is much better use it daily on job has body and don't slop all over https://www.wurthusa.com/search/?text=thread+locker
Old 06-12-2018, 01:32 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by SlowLST2 View Post
I use blue Locktite 242. I use it on certain screws - clutch retaining screw, engine mount, and that’s it. I don’t use it on anything else typically. Works fine.

The “watered down” stuff will wick down the screw giving you a little better hold in some cases.
Yeah I use blue 242 as well and have had a few motor mounts come loose. I try to let it dry for 15 mins or so but I change my clutch bearings for the mains.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service