• 1 Post By cHAmpa
  • 1 Post By snowninja
  • 1 Post By ryan391
  • 2 Post By turndownwhip

Buggy Characteristics

Old 06-05-2018, 08:51 AM
Tech Regular

Default Buggy Characteristics

I am sure people open thread ofter thread after thread of "which is better". I do not want to be that guy but I am really having a hard time figuring out differences in driving characteristics between the buggy kits. I have been away for awhile and I currently have a losi 2.0 rtr with a few king headz upgrades. I found this buggy a handful in which I made more tame with some setup changes. This was back when I was dealing with very loose conditions. Now my local track is more of a packed blue groove with mid to high tractions and a few pretty large jumps. It seems the local hobbyshop supports Mugen, Xray and Tekno mostly but I am not going to limit myself to those.

My question for owners and racers is what are you observations on the different kits and how they handle. I remember back in the day Kyosho, RC8 and D8 were the easy going ones and losi and xray were wild and a bit hard to control. (aggressive)

Keep in mind I am not racer (I would like to be but not yet) the intention of this kit would be race only not so much bashing.

I would be open to any kit at this point
Xray, Mugen, Tekno, Jq Black, Kyosho Soar Seiki, ....... you get the point.
Old 06-05-2018, 10:51 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Tcaputo View Post
I am sure people open thread ofter thread after thread of "which is better". I do not want to be that guy but I am really having a hard time figuring out differences in driving characteristics between the buggy kits. I have been away for awhile and I currently have a losi 2.0 rtr with a few king headz upgrades. I found this buggy a handful in which I made more tame with some setup changes. This was back when I was dealing with very loose conditions. Now my local track is more of a packed blue groove with mid to high tractions and a few pretty large jumps. It seems the local hobbyshop supports Mugen, Xray and Tekno mostly but I am not going to limit myself to those.

My question for owners and racers is what are you observations on the different kits and how they handle. I remember back in the day Kyosho, RC8 and D8 were the easy going ones and losi and xray were wild and a bit hard to control. (aggressive)

Keep in mind I am not racer (I would like to be but not yet) the intention of this kit would be race only not so much bashing.

your local hobby shop has 3 good brands it carrys, pick one of them assuming they are fair pricing etc, you will have parts localy etc and wont need to wait for stuff if you need it bad.
Tcaputo likes this.
Old 06-05-2018, 10:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Are you running at Thornhill?
Old 06-05-2018, 12:59 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by symmetricon View Post
Are you running at Thornhill?
Yes that is my local track I just moved to this area so I have not run there yet. I have just checked out during the lonestar challange.
Old 06-05-2018, 11:31 PM
Tech Initiate

D817 is a really nice car, very durable and it handles very well, it hasnt won back to back worlds for nothing. Coming from an sworkz the d8 felt very aggressive on the steering, it was easy to get used to though and you can make it more docile with the right setup
Tcaputo and stanleyw808 like this.
Old 06-06-2018, 05:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Yes that is my local track I just moved to this area so I have not run there yet. I have just checked out during the lonestar challange.
Xray would be a good choice as there is a lot of setup and parts support there. Since the Tessman's have joined the team the setups and support has gotten very good. The car is quite responsive, I'd say more on the aggressive side. With the proper setup, the harder you drive the car the better it is. It definitely is more aggressive than a kyosho. The car is also very responsive to setup changes.
Tcaputo likes this.
Old 06-06-2018, 07:07 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Opinions vary, everyone will push the car they are running. You do want to choose a car with great support at the local track. Xray is currently run by the owner of Thornhill and many who help run the track. Associated is also very strong as well as Mugen and Tekno. I came from TLR which was kind of twitchy to set up, but solid once hooked up, I've heard the same about Tekno, but I've never owned one and there are a lot of fast Tekno's at Thornhill. I think pillow ball vs. c-hub, pillow ball cars are easier to setup and a bit more stable imo.

I've been hearing a lot of great things about the Associated RC8B3.1 cars, which are very similar to Mugen, who just released their new MBX8 line.

I just made the switch from TLR and I was down to Xray and Mugen for my next car. I ended up choosing Mugen in the end because there was good support at the track, online support with Adam Drake, ease of setup and durability. Absolutely love Mugen and wish I had started out with this car.

Personally, I was wary of Xray because they have so many updates to their car, I figured I would be dumping money trying to keep up having to have the latest upgrade. I believe they release a new car every year, great marketing.. almost too good. But they do have strong support at Thornhill and are very fast.

Also make sure you join the Facebook page Texas RC Racers.. you can search that group for a lot of reviews on cars from local guys, folks who have asked the same questions you are.
Tcaputo likes this.
Old 06-06-2018, 11:20 AM
Tech Adept

i had all the teknos - eb48.2/3/4 and while they drove good and jumped very well i found if i over drove them they would get twitchy, blow corners, and rear would get loose. i tried many setup changes but it never found "home" with me. yes, some of that may have been continued setup issues but at the same time may have just been the nature of the design and fit of my driving style. i recently drove a 16 xray during a weekend race and sold my eb48.4 right after and bought the 18 xray.. its an awesome car, feels settled, has amazing turn in, and likes to be pushed. my lap times are shorter and more consistent. out of the major platforms the hb, ae, xray, and mugen all "look" similar to me though i'm sure many nuances.. tlr would be somewhere in the middle and tekno on the other end for look (narrow chassis)..

good luck!
Tcaputo likes this.
Old 06-09-2018, 05:24 AM
Tech Adept

I am not an expert but I went with AE because I was interested in parts support. Unfortunately the shops in my area don't support anything 1/8 scale really well so I find myself ordering off the internet more times than not. One thing I did find that has helped out tremendously is that the AE is a copy of the Mugen. Many of the parts are interchangeable. So if you are looking for part it opens your opportunity to find what you are looking for a lot easier.

Most of the good racers at my track drive Mugen. I went with AE to save a $. I am not sure of the true differences, but it is good for me.
Tcaputo likes this.
Old 06-10-2018, 06:33 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

For me:

1.HB
2.Mugen
3.AE/XRay

I am a bit annoyed at HB parts availability at times but EBay helps in this regard.
Tcaputo and stanleyw808 like this.