Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree59Likes

RCGP - Nitro Buggy, World Series

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2019, 02:55 PM
Suspended

I've been watching RCGP and attempting to watch silver state but silver state quality is so bad, the commentator is definitely there for the $$, the on screen timing isnt working half the time, marshalls just dont care and some not even marshaling after their race causing delays. Live RC has gone from bad to worse even a kid with his FB live on his phone could do better.(thanks j concepts lol)

RCGP has just showed how a race format should be and how it should be run. Entertaining qualy and multiple mains.. Like-real race teams.. Control tyres for the rc2 class is fantastic(unless your in pro class) tyres should have always been control.
the only thing silver state had over rcgp (and it has over other races) is how the track ends up... like proper offroad.
captain america and BenPetz like this.
Old 05-05-2019, 06:23 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Every race was better than the last!!
Old 05-06-2019, 02:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 105 (100%+)

Originally Posted by iplaygames
I've been watching RCGP and attempting to watch silver state but silver state quality is so bad, the commentator is definitely there for the $$, the on screen timing isnt working half the time, marshalls just dont care and some not even marshaling after their race causing delays. Live RC has gone from bad to worse even a kid with his FB live on his phone could do better.(thanks j concepts lol)

RCGP has just showed how a race format should be and how it should be run. Entertaining qualy and multiple mains.. Like-real race teams.. Control tyres for the rc2 class is fantastic(unless your in pro class) tyres should have always been control.
the only thing silver state had over rcgp (and it has over other races) is how the track ends up... like proper offroad.
jimmy Babcock is one of the best announcers in the business. Not sure what you meant by “ he is only there for the money”? He doesn’t do it for free
token and MaricopaAgent like this.
Old 05-06-2019, 03:36 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by hairymuffin

jimmy Babcock is one of the best announcers in the business. Not sure what you meant by “ he is only there for the money”? He doesn’t do it for free
Comapred to that aussie bloke and Nick Damon... hes a bit behind, Nick calls everything. Try go listening to Real car Racing or any other sport really.. the commentators are 110% all the time and are actually worth listening to, even in the last few mins of silverstate Jimmy upped a little but nothing like the others who really get excited(which is what its all about)
Old 05-06-2019, 04:34 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hairymuffin

he may be a good race director, but not an announcer. He misses so much stuff and lacks enthusiasm.
dodgeguy and MX304 like this.
Old 05-10-2019, 08:36 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

In fairness, Jimmy is coordinating an event, commentating races is only part of it. Especially during the mains, where he's managing pre/post race tech, pinging the track crew for water breaks, etc. while races are going on. And it's 12hrs a day for consecutive days. Maybe only golf commentators at large events with all day coverage even come close to that, except that Jim Nantz doesn't have to tell people where to stand or players how many holes are left or when it's their turn to play at the Masters. I thought the announcing was great at SS, but they're not going for a TV broadcast feel, you'd need a dedicated, separate team for that (like RCGP, where they did an awesome job).
Old 05-12-2019, 11:20 AM
Tech Elite

Jimmy is the man. He is a race director, not a play by play analyst. You listened to what all the racers listened to. I think your post was unfair, that you did not hear or read the comments of LiveRC. They did not have their whole race crew there. Maybe RCGP will be cool IF all the worlds manufactures get on board. Right now, its not cost effective for many companies. I would rather see our top pros club racings and mingling with the rest of us. This is NOT F1. This is a community and family hobby. Whats in it for the companies out side of spending $10s of thousands to send drivers all around the world. Hell IFMAR Worlds are already expensive for many companies. At Silver State it was amazing to see how many international racers flew in for that race including like the whole ownership of a European team. To me, that say alot. I do hope RCGP takes off. I believe our industry needs a change and IFMAR and other bodies are unwilling to make those changes. Maybe RCGP will light a fire under their butts. Ive watched RCGP and it looks and feels like any other European races.
MX304 likes this.
Old 08-07-2019, 02:02 PM
Tech Master

The idea behind RCGP makes sense, and I understand the approach... It’s funny that in the 3 months or so that I’ve been watching RC related videos on YouTube, it was only about 2 weeks ago that the “What is RCGP” video showed up in my feed.

when I saw it, I wondered why Nitro buggy was chosen as the class; after all, 1/8th scale On Road has always been considered the “Formula 1” of RC - but then I saw Details of the backing, and it makes sense.

So I like the idea, but I’m kind of mixed on the representation. I’d have to say that hands down, off road racing is more popular than on road, and by extension, it makes sense that Nitro off road would provide a more flexible platform in terms of providing viewer value toward the experience.

On the other hand, I would argue that Nitro On Road has that mystique - like Formula 1, not many people are talented enough to perform on a World stage, so watching people that can is part of the appeal of F1... Not to take anything away from the top level drivers in the Nitro buggy class, of course - but when you ask people who know anything about RC racing what the “Formula 1 equivalent” is, they will point to 1/8th scale on road.

Of course the flip-flop once again on this is that they are trying to encourage anyone to give it a try, and Formula 1 isn’t exactly begging people to hop into a Formula 3 car and give it a go... So, I’m not sure where I’m going with this, but I hope the industry as a whole can embrace this and make a push together to get involved in the effort as a collective. The current model hasn’t been effective for 30 years, and the industry will collapse if they can’t adopt some kind of eSports approach to it all. Heck, if DRL was at least able to get off the ground and on TV, I can’t see why a concerted effort to establish a Pro RC racing league can’t.
Old 08-07-2019, 03:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hearing JQ talking about taking someone out on purpose was... not great!
Old 08-07-2019, 04:15 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by frewster
Hearing JQ talking about taking someone out on purpose was... not great!
others have said it also just less direct. there was some shotty driving going on but when you leave the door open and turn down on someone on purpose thats your fault not someone elses mr ronnefalk
Old 08-07-2019, 04:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

there's also the fact ronnenfalk is a potential race winner JQ is not, not that that means anything when two guys are battling on track though.
I havnt seen the event in question nor do I give a crap one way or the other(both guys can kinda be dickheads in their own way anyways)
Old 08-13-2019, 10:04 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by TurnNBurn
Heck, if DRL was at least able to get off the ground and on TV, I can’t see why a concerted effort to establish a Pro RC racing league can’t.
DRL has millions invested into it. My son got in to drone racing, it cost him less than $300 to get a set up and race. There is no On or Off road that you can start racing for $300 or has the finance backing. Like F1, 1/8 On Road RC racing is ridiculously expensive.
Old 08-13-2019, 12:17 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by token
DRL has millions invested into it. My son got in to drone racing, it cost him less than $300 to get a set up and race. There is no On or Off road that you can start racing for $300 or has the finance backing. Like F1, 1/8 On Road RC racing is ridiculously expensive.
Admittedly, I was enthused about drones after watching a few broadcasts. Imagine my surprise when I discovered that you can’t buy anything close to what the competitors race in the series (with them all being spec drones designed/built in house and maintained by DRL staff). So that’s the big difference here - while you can’t buy what the DRL pilots race in their series, you CAN buy (save for probably a few prototype parts) exactly what the RCGP drivers are running.

That being said, I think that DRL is wasting a huge opportunity to potentially feed their market by providing at least some semblance of what they race, even if it means partnering with a partner manufacturer. To that degree, I understand the potential exposure that HB, JQ, and Sworkz are buying into with their investments.
Old 10-13-2019, 09:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Who's watching this weekend?
Old 10-13-2019, 10:03 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by frewster
Who's watching this weekend?
I’ve watched all weekend. I think it’s been great!
frewster likes this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.