Emulsion shocks

Like Tree3Likes

Emulsion shocks

Old 04-28-2018, 01:09 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Emulsion shocks

Hi,
i have the feeling that emulsion shocks work perfect
for max a half gal. Then the shocks feel inconsistant. Have other racer this feeling top?

Holymoly
Old 04-28-2018, 03:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Are you bleeding them routinely? I check mine after a few runs and before the main. If they get to much air inside they will feel inconsistent.
Old 04-28-2018, 06:04 AM
Tech Rookie

Thought they work with oil air mix?

Holymoly
Old 04-28-2018, 06:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

They do but it is a balance between the two. Too much or too little can cause either a dead spot or too much rebound. Air slowly Works its way in in a little oil slowly Works its way out. When you take the shock Off remove the spring and pump the shock about 20 times or so. If the Piston pops immediately out then you have too much Rebound in too much air. if you have a dead spot still after pumping shock up then you have to little oil.
Old 04-28-2018, 11:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I was just thinking about switching to emulsion with the TLR shocks. Do they really offer any advantage over bladder or its just more consistent?
Old 04-28-2018, 09:08 PM
Tech Master

In my experience, emulsion handles bumps WAY better. And any flat landings, it takes out alot of the pop you might get.
Evoking1230 and token like this.
Old 04-29-2018, 07:54 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Gavel View Post
In my experience, emulsion handles bumps WAY better. And any flat landings, it takes out alot of the pop you might get.
thanks.

Liking what im reading so far. :-)
Old 04-30-2018, 08:55 AM
Tech Adept

Do you think it has to do with rebound? I have a hard time getting zero rebound on a bladder.
Old 04-30-2018, 01:09 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by snowninja View Post
Do you think it has to do with rebound? I have a hard time getting zero rebound on a bladder.
i agree with this... Was thinking of switching too.
Old 04-30-2018, 04:29 PM
Tech Elite

Make sure there are no air bubbles in the oil prior to installing the cap. You will need to bleed the shock a few times. I bleed mine when I build them, then before qualifiers and again before the main.
Old 04-30-2018, 06:34 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by token View Post
Make sure there are no air bubbles in the oil prior to installing the cap. You will need to bleed the shock a few times. I bleed mine when I build them, then before qualifiers and again before the main.

you talking bladder or emulsion?
Old 04-30-2018, 07:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The cool thing about emulsion shocks is the amount of shock actuation influences the amount of air churned into the oil, and thus affects the viscosity of the oil. So if you're driving on rough terrain they will soften-up, and if you're driving on smooth terrain they will firm-up.

Unfortunately, I've never actually gotten this to work very well in practice. The base viscosity of the oil affects how easily air is churned into the oil on rough terrain, and how easily air escapes from the oil on smooth terrain, so you have to pick your oil viscosity based on how much "lag" you want between the terrain changing and the oil viscosity changing. Then you have to change your shock pistons (or modify them, if you don't have enough pre-made pistons to choose from) to actually get the amount of damping you want with the viscosity of oil you selected.

When it comes down to it, since track layouts generally don't change in the middle of a race day, you don't really need the oil viscosity to self-adjust based on terrain changes, because there aren't any terrain changes for you to worry about. It's a lot easier to use bladders, take your time to get every last little bubble out of the shocks during assembly, and get perfectly consistent shock performance in the narrow range of conditions present on any given track.
Old 04-30-2018, 07:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Depends on the effect you're going for. Air bubbles don't just dynamically thin-out the oil, they also transform the oil into an elastic fluid, so it can stretch and compress instead of being forced to pass through the holes in the piston. This gives much softer damping on sharp impacts. That may be what you want, but I've never encountered a situation where I wanted one of my RCs to bottom-out more often.
Old 05-01-2018, 03:06 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by mattythegreat View Post

you talking bladder or emulsion?
Emulsion
Old 05-02-2018, 08:17 AM
Tech Rookie

Hi think emulsion shocks have 2 advantages!
1. easier to create zero rebound
2. no double bouncing after landings

But thats it.

Holymoly

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.