Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Looking to compete! mbx8 >

Looking to compete! mbx8

Looking to compete! mbx8

Old 04-07-2018, 08:08 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Looking to compete! mbx8

bare with me.... please

I have been playing with nitro rc cars for years. From when i was 12-13 till about 18 stopped for a long time then recently picked it back up with purchase of this jato 3.3. It seems through the years competition has dwindled and the 1/8 scale buggy/truggy are the only ones really competing locally now. So i want in and i want to build a MBX8 to play with. This is where the bare with me comes in. Ive never built a kit car from scratch. I cannot find any information on what engine to run, servos, remote, ect. in order to complete this vehicle.

Now before i get all the "dont do it if you've never done it on this platform" replies i feel im very capable in doing such. Ive been in the automotive performance industry for years i build incredible machines monday through friday that go out and break world records so when i want to play / compete with a rc car i want it to be something world class as well.

WHAT IM LOOKING FOR!

A simple yet detailed list of what i should buy to complete this platform!

Big Block Nitro Engine
Tuned Exhaust System
2 Channel Radio System
High Torque Steering & Brake Servo's (2)
Receiver Battery
Glow Driver
Starter Box & Batteries
Nitro Fuel & Fuel Bottle
Paint for Polycarbonate Body
Tires, Wheels & Glue
Charger for Receiver Pack & Starter Box Batteries

i do not need the best most expensive parts that are offered im a huge believer in bang for your buck

Im beyond interested in this project and look forward to a positive helpful response from the rctech community!

Thanks
Old 04-08-2018, 09:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

welcome to the racing world. There goes your free time and money lol.

As for what you're asking, its all preference. You will get 100 different opinions, I would suggest just doing a bit of research on what people are recommending. I would also check out your local hobby store first, but if they don't stock the stuff you need, check out Amain hobbies (amain.com)

1st most important thing, buy yourself a good quality set of tools, MIP. Nuff said. Hex drivers, nut drivers, etc.

Here goes, my recommendations, in no particular order:

Big Block Nitro Engine - REDS, OS Engines, Werks
Tuned Exhaust System - matching from engine manufacturer, manifold length and tuned pipe vary depending on what you need, more lower end or top end. Do your research on the pipes/manifolds once you nail down the engine manufacturer.
2 Channel Radio System - Futaba, Hitec, Spektrum, Airtronics
High Torque Steering & Brake Servo's (2) - Steering you want high speed and high torque, minimum 300oz. torque. Throttle/brake servo should be high speed. Go with both High Voltage metal gears.
Receiver Battery - 2000mah Lipo pack from amain for the Mugen :-)
Glow Driver - too many to choose from. Get a rechargeable one though.
Starter Box & Batteries - Protek Surestart, Mugen, etc. Get a 4s lipo to power them. Make sure you get dual 775 motors in those starter boxes ;-)
Nitro Fuel & Fuel Bottle - VP Racing, Bryons, NitroPro. Percentage will be based upon engine, usually 20% - 30% range. stick with 8-10% oil in those for racing.
Paint for Polycarbonate Body - Visit your local hobby shop, Tamiya or whatever they have in the spraycan or you can have someone professionally paint it for you for a price.
Tires, Wheels & Glue - CA glue for tires/wheels. Wheels just go with whatever tires you end up with, Pro-Line, JConcepts, etc. Tires will be based on what the fast guys use at your local track. Ask and go buy. Exact type/compound.
Charger for Receiver Pack & Starter Box Batteries - Hitec, Protek, etc.

Hope this helps!
Old 04-15-2018, 03:01 PM
Tech Addict

Welcome to rc racing

Here is the equipment I use and like, so it is not the only ones, but just my preference. There are many other good products out there that I haven't tried.

I don't run the new mbx8, but it is a good car. I run the MP9 TKI4.

Engine 3.5cc: Reds Corsa Lunga
Pipe and Manifold: X-ONE 2104 Smooth Pipe and Manifold set
Radio: M12s with an rx-471 receiver (mt-44 and M12s-rs are both also good. There is a new M17 remote coming out soon too. Don't use an antenna-less receiver. Futaba 7px and 4px are good as well but I don't have them.)
Servos Throttle/Steering: Sanwa PGS-xr/PGS-xb
Reciever Battery: Protek lipo
Glow starter: Kyosho Spark Booster 2.0
Starter Box: Kyosho Multi-starter 2.0 Batteries: Protek Lipo
Fuel: Prime Racing 25% Bottle: Kyosho
Paint: Faskolor for airbrush (Tamiya is a good can paint)
Tires: Proline Wheels: Proline or Kyosho Glue: AKA
Charger: ICharger 406Duo (not necessary but I also race electric too. I have a Hitec X2 for smaller stuff)

Good Luck Racing! You should go to your local track to find what people are running. Make sure the fuel is easy to get because it is hard to get shipped.
Old 04-15-2018, 05:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I cant really argue with any of the suggestions given by these guys (except maybe a Icharger 406 for receiver packs?) I am gonna comment on the motor/pipe setup. First, cant go wrong with the mugen starter box for a mugen...And one of the most horrible parts of nitro IMO is breaking in a new motor. Ok I'll just say it. If I were jumping in right now, I'd get Fusionx3l/c engine with the recommended pipe and header. And I'd gladly pay the 35 for partial break in or my choice, the $65 all broke in by a pro option. That engine is more than good enough for a starter engine and with that buggy it could get you on the podium. Yes, you could go to the 5L/C which is more powerful yet for not much more, but for a newer driver it could also get out of control pretty quick too. You need to get used to a buggy and learn all the tricks of tuning it, so you dont need the baddest thing on the planet which will not let you concentrate on driving. The motors are very good, easy to tune and strong enough to haul the mail so to speak. Houston knows his chit when it comes to nitro. Take this with a grain of salt as its just one guys opinion, but I'd pretty much guarantee you'll be happy. Talk to the guy and see what ya think.
Old 04-15-2018, 06:57 PM
Tech Addict

Adam Drake Pro Break-In is good! I only use an Icharger for my car because often I am racing electric and those batteries take forever to charge. I would stay to well know engines (os, reds, etc...) Reds offers replacement parts for basically everything in the engine.
Old 04-16-2018, 07:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Yeah, I'e heard nothing but great things about Drakes break in service. And Fusion are nova rosi based engines with custom features I believe.
But it was just my opinion...that and .50 will get ya a cup of coffee.