Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Is nitro really gone? >

Is nitro really gone?

Like Tree6Likes

Is nitro really gone?

Old 04-01-2018, 04:34 PM
Tech Adept

Default Is nitro really gone?

Just kind of thinking out loud. For obvious reason I can see why some people like nitro and why others don't or should I say why it seems less popular. It's been awhile since I even had a chance to run my SCT's and when I do I'm limited to schools and parks or parking lots. Not much fun in that? Called a couple hobby shops that have tracks and they don't even have a class for SCT's that run nitro. Makes me want to switch, but just can't bring myself to do it. If I ever wanted to get out of the hobby I know for sure I would take a hit on the trucks I have. Not sure if I really want to do that.
Old 04-01-2018, 05:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

Nitro short course is nonexistent in my area. If your going to run nitro it would be 1/8 buggy and truggy. Electric short course is more popular everywhere.
Old 04-01-2018, 07:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mikesd1980 View Post
Nitro short course is nonexistent in my area. If your going to run nitro it would be 1/8 buggy and truggy. Electric short course is more popular everywhere.
hit the nail on the head.

Heck, even nitro buggy was excluded from my lhs winter point series due to not enough people wanting to participate. Maybe the "cold". I'm going to attempt to join the spring/summer series and see if theres enough nitro participation.

But yet there's always plenty of nitro guys on non race days
Old 04-02-2018, 03:36 PM
Tech Elite

Nitro buggy is our biggest class. No lack of nitro. Shortcourse is for novice only. Electric buggy is 2nd then Nitro Truggy. We get 150 nitro entries easily at bigger races
token likes this.
Old 04-02-2018, 07:00 PM
Tech Initiate

For me i got my nitro start with a 2wd nitro stadium truck i am sure like most of us OLD guys lol. I just got back in the hobby a few weeks ago. I have had a few nitro short course trucks and i found a exceed nitro rally monster. Its 4wd but i rather a 2wd i love short course trucks tbh. I have a few nitro ones and a few electrics ones and i rather nitro.

Times have changed , this hobby has seen many changes over the years. I know 2wd buggy's are king.. Whats really dead is nitro stadium trucks, i think when companies went with electric rtr's that killed nitro stadium trucks.

I think electric vs nitro comes down to cost and the tuning issues u can run in to..
I think it really stinks, i love nitro's and id love to see more people play with any type/scale nitro rc
petersen114 likes this.
Old 04-02-2018, 10:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 127 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 1mtx1 View Post
For me i got my nitro start with a 2wd nitro stadium truck i am sure like most of us OLD guys lol. I just got back in the hobby a few weeks ago. I have had a few nitro short course trucks and i found a exceed nitro rally monster. Its 4wd but i rather a 2wd i love short course trucks tbh. I have a few nitro ones and a few electrics ones and i rather nitro.

Times have changed , this hobby has seen many changes over the years. I know 2wd buggy's are king.. Whats really dead is nitro stadium trucks, i think when companies went with electric rtr's that killed nitro stadium trucks.

I think electric vs nitro comes down to cost and the tuning issues u can run in to..
I think it really stinks, i love nitro's and id love to see more people play with any type/scale nitro rc
For sure. I started on an RC10GT in the late 90ís. Locally (Colorado) it seems like Nitro was big, then came brushless and lipo ( huge short course truck growth). Those that stuck with the hobby moved to 1/8 e-buggy. Now there are more a few more 1/8 nitro racers.

I think what draws people to nitro are the 15+ minute races and unpredictability of a winner (flame outs, running out of fuel, pit strategy etc).

It has really been cool to see the hobby progress and change over the years. Nitro and electric will always have their place.
token likes this.
Old 04-03-2018, 04:08 PM
Tech Elite

Nitro will be huge in CO this summer. I dont think Ive ever seen a nitro SCT class. Every once in a while I would hear a nitro SCT run with electrics, but not a class by it self.
Old 04-03-2018, 04:22 PM
LCG
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I love to run my 1/8 scale nitro but have never had or seen any interest in sct nitro in Northern CA
Old 04-03-2018, 07:53 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by token View Post
Nitro will be huge in CO this summer. I dont think Ive ever seen a nitro SCT class. Every once in a while I would hear a nitro SCT run with electrics, but not a class by it self.
You goin to redneck? It will be my first nitro race.
Old 04-04-2018, 08:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 127 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Skinny_j View Post
Wish I could. You will have a great time. One of the best races in CO for sure. Have fun!
Old 04-04-2018, 11:54 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by 8ight-t_sbs View Post
Wish I could. You will have a great time. One of the best races in CO for sure. Have fun!
I hear they have special fuel guns there
Old 04-04-2018, 04:29 PM
Tech Regular

like most of us my first hobby grade rc was a nitro stadium truck. I loved and hated that truck. I have 1/10 elecric cars and really enjoy racing them but wanted to get into the 1/8 action. There are a couple guys i race with locally that also got into 1/8 and said i should go electric because its easier and usually is the bigger class. The initial price to get into it was similar between nitro and electric 1/8. I dont have a local 1/8 track so going into it i knew i would have to travel to race 4 to 6 hours to the closest tracks. I debated in my head alot about which way to go. I decided to go nitro for a few reasons. First there is just something about nitro the smell, sound, tuning options, run times etc. Second was i wanted to challenge myself not just plug in a battery and pull the trigger. For me i think it all comes down to personal preference. If u want a challenge and/or enjoy working and tuning your cars nitro is the way to go. If u just want to go to the track and drive maby electric is better for you.

On a side note where/ when is this redneck race u guys are talking about. Sounds like it might be worth a trip.
Old 04-04-2018, 05:52 PM
Tech Regular

Rifle colorado. Not this weekend but next. I've hear about nothing but good times about that race
Old 04-05-2018, 12:43 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Skinny_j View Post
Yes Sir - will be there Friday morning.
Old 04-05-2018, 12:57 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Sodakota View Post
like most of us my first hobby grade rc was a nitro stadium truck. I loved and hated that truck. I have 1/10 elecric cars and really enjoy racing them but wanted to get into the 1/8 action. There are a couple guys i race with locally that also got into 1/8 and said i should go electric because its easier and usually is the bigger class. The initial price to get into it was similar between nitro and electric 1/8. I dont have a local 1/8 track so going into it i knew i would have to travel to race 4 to 6 hours to the closest tracks. I debated in my head alot about which way to go. I decided to go nitro for a few reasons. First there is just something about nitro the smell, sound, tuning options, run times etc. Second was i wanted to challenge myself not just plug in a battery and pull the trigger. For me i think it all comes down to personal preference. If u want a challenge and/or enjoy working and tuning your cars nitro is the way to go. If u just want to go to the track and drive maby electric is better for you.

On a side note where/ when is this redneck race u guys are talking about. Sounds like it might be worth a trip.
April 13-15 Rifle Colorado. Its just a fun race.
Attached Thumbnails Is nitro really gone?-28070364_1770281459682904_2831493044111260757_o-1-.jpg  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.