Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Matt Piva
  • 1 Post By kaptain crash

O'Donnell Z01T resurrection!

Old 03-24-2018, 05:18 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default O'Donnell Z01T resurrection!

Hey guys! I have an O'Donnell Z01T that I am looking to get back up and running. It is stock, but one of the rear shock shafts is broken (which is actually why it has sat for almost ten years, LOL). I know these truggies have been discontinued and finding pars is ridiculous. Do any of you guys know what off brand or "aftermarket" shocks may bolt right on? I'd like to get this running as there is some neighborly RC competition that thinks they are fast and need to be proven otherwise.

P.S. Are sealed bottles of nitro still good after 8 years?
Old 03-24-2018, 08:10 PM
Super Moderator

Location: a very small town in wisconsin that is in the middle of absolutely no where
Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

what is overall length and then compressed length? i have some odonnell parts left over from when i was running for steve. these shocks are off the z01t-sg prototype truggy i ran for a year before odonnell gave up fighting with tower hobbies on things. send me a pm. jeremy
Old 03-25-2018, 10:18 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I think that fuel is probably a really bad idea to try and run however a couple years ago I pulled my stuff out after 3 years of sitting and the fuel still worked fine. I tested it in an old engine so that I didn’t risk any good stuff. I just wouldn’t risk it after 8 years, even 3 years is to old and I switched fuel immediately to avoid an unbalance which could cause rods to blow.

With your shock issue just like j.whiting said, if u can’t find someone here that has one just check shock lengths and buy some off eBay. I would say some losi 2.0 truck shocks would be close, if not even the 3.0/4.0 buggy shocks are quite a big longer and could fit correctly. Plus I believe O’Donnell made the 3.0 so maybe they are the same. U have a truck but I wouldn’t be surprised to hear today’s buggy shock lengths being close to truggy lenght back in the day. I remember having a Tamiya truggy and the shocks were shorter then all my buggy shocks by a lot, that shows where the developement has gone today. Best shocks would be some Kyosho shocks but they are a bit costly.
J.Whiting and Devilbrad like this.
Old 03-25-2018, 11:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Matt Piva View Post
I think that fuel is probably a really bad idea to try and run however a couple years ago I pulled my stuff out after 3 years of sitting and the fuel still worked fine. I tested it in an old engine so that I didn’t risk any good stuff. I just wouldn’t risk it after 8 years, even 3 years is to old and I switched fuel immediately to avoid an unbalance which could cause rods to blow.

With your shock issue just like j.whiting said, if u can’t find someone here that has one just check shock lengths and buy some off eBay. I would say some losi 2.0 truck shocks would be close, if not even the 3.0/4.0 buggy shocks are quite a big longer and could fit correctly. Plus I believe O’Donnell made the 3.0 so maybe they are the same. U have a truck but I wouldn’t be surprised to hear today’s buggy shock lengths being close to truggy lenght back in the day. I remember having a Tamiya truggy and the shocks were shorter then all my buggy shocks by a lot, that shows where the developement has gone today. Best shocks would be some Kyosho shocks but they are a bit costly.

The losi 3.0 truggy shocks would be your best bet. They use the taper at the bottom of the spring like the O'donnell spring, that way you can use your springs. I have 2 back z01t shocks and some springs you can have...just pay shipping.
Devilbrad likes this.