R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   1/8 track (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/1013090-1-8-track.html)

snoborder73 03-13-2018 05:50 PM

1/8 track

HI! I have been searching on here and seen some pretty good responses! past and present. Please re-direct me if wrong with forum.
Question: There is some land opportunity I have to build an rc dirt track. the land has motorsports already on it!---drag racing,crotch rocket racing course,road racing course,dirt oval racing. The land is leased by the city. what would I need to do to build a 1/8 race track? The operator of the sports park specify they already have insurance. Would I need rc insurance? Also,is there any possibility of the city funding a drivers stand,pit lane,pipeing,etc... to do so? I just don't have thousands of dollars to start up a rc track. Who to chat with for help with? There is a pretty big community of racers here and surrounding cities to race.Thanks!

Gavel 03-13-2018 06:22 PM

Pretty much every question you asked is specific to your location.

In Australia we can apply for sporting grants based on number of members/kids/disability accessibility etc but it could be drastically different to where you are.

As a minimum youd need dirt for the track, a drivers stand, and a flat area with access to power/water for pitting.

Look into local buisnesses too. For something as simple as a banner on your drivers stand you may be able to get free hire on earthmoving equiptment etc etc.

IOP_Racer 03-13-2018 06:36 PM

I imagine that with enough effort and the right connections the city will pay for most of the expenses. Here in Florida tracks have had everything from drivers stands to nearly the whole facility paid for by the city.

the wrench 03-13-2018 09:55 PM

if you set up a not for profit "club" tax incorporation, you can collect membership dues to pay for equipment and be tax exempt, im not sure how liability works under someone elses "commercial" property insurance, or the issues with r/c car racing falling under "motorsport" insurance, if you use the land owners incorporation, they get hit with added costs if incidents go down, from injury, to whatever building codes, adl access, noise that you would have to fill, plus if theres any income recorded, he may get the tax hit depending on his corporation setup... not too familiar with colorado laws, but thats some stuff ive looked into

sebtarta 03-14-2018 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by IOP_Racer (Post 15182253)
I imagine that with enough effort and the right connections the city will pay for most of the expenses. Here in Florida tracks have had everything from drivers stands to nearly the whole facility paid for by the city.

If this is the case, we need to get together and open a 1/8th track in Orlando. Currently Orlando, FL has nothing :(

BHutch 03-14-2018 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by sebtarta (Post 15182524)
If this is the case, we need to get together and open a 1/8th track in Orlando. Currently Orlando, FL has nothing :(

AMEN BROTHER!!!

rjmakk 03-15-2018 06:45 AM

Are you in Colorado?

token 03-15-2018 10:25 AM

Generally, cities will not put any money in to your project. You will need a few thousand dollars to get everything needed. Hell just the timing system is like 3-4 grand. Driver stand, keep in mind handicap accessible for alot of cities. You have ALOT of knowledgeable track builders and racers locally. ijs My business plan was like $15k to build a RACE track. That was just to get started.

snoborder73 03-15-2018 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by rjmakk (Post 15183454)
Are you in Colorado?

yes colorado

snoborder73 03-15-2018 06:06 PM

'

rjmakk 03-19-2018 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by snoborder73 (Post 15184071)
yes colorado

which part? we got a good crew of 8th scale racers in ABQ

snoborder73 03-19-2018 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by rjmakk (Post 15186919)
which part? we got a good crew of 8th scale racers in ABQ

pueblo.why?

Matt Piva 03-19-2018 06:38 PM

If this is truth I will be working on the city of Menifee or perris here in California to build a track for the kids around town who need a positive recreation, if anyone is interested in helping me figure this out message me I am always down for this

sebtarta 03-20-2018 10:20 AM

IOP are you up to work with me and try and open a 1/8th track here in Orlando or in the outskirts of it? Maybe some more people want to join?

rjmakk 03-20-2018 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by snoborder73 (Post 15187460)
pueblo.why?

Oh ok, Just wondering how close it would be to us. We have a race series called border wars and there's an event in CO Springs, ABQ, Amarillo, & El Paso.