Like Tree1Likes

Which Truggy?

Old 02-25-2018, 10:40 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default Which Truggy?

I'm trying to decide which truggy to buy for a backyard basher. I currently have an old RC8T that has served me well. The problem is that I kept going bigger and bigger on the engine and currently run an LRP .30X. For me this engine is awesome, easy to tune and TONS of torque. Problem is the spider gears in the diffs can't handle it. I can ruin a good set of spiders in the rear diff in just a few tanks of fuel. I've tried shimming them many different ways with the same end result every time. The metal that those spiders are made from is just too soft. If I drop a .21 back in it they last much longer.
I've narrowed my choice to the Tekno NT 48.3 or the Losi 8ight T 4.0. Since I don't race I don't really care which one is capable of the fastest lap times. I just want rock solid diff gears that can handle my LRP .30X. I've read a lot of good stuff about the diffs in both of these trucks. I would just go ahead and buy the Tekno but it's $150 more than the Losi. I don't wanna buy the Losi to save the $150 and then regret it.
If compared side by side are the Tekno and Losi drivetrains equally as strong? Or does one stand above the other?
Old 02-25-2018, 11:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

TEKNO
Old 02-25-2018, 12:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by THE PHILLY JYNX View Post
TEKNO
Thanks for the response Philly! I definitely respect your opinion. I've been running your BuKu clutch for many years. It's the only clutch I found that could harness the power of my .30X.
Old 03-01-2018, 10:55 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have broken spur gears and front out-drives on my NT48.3 - also powered by an LRP .30x

The clutch does need more regular maintenance ( I run all four al. shoes as well w green and gold springs).

I cannot say if the breakages are systemic or just one off things. I had plenty of spares so it was not a big problem...

I like my D8TE better - more durable and far easier to wrench on. Especially center diff area - and the diffs themselves are more durable from what I have noticed - again with a big power motor - RB TM928...

For racing I use a D817t, avid stiffeners with a Rex .25...
Old 03-01-2018, 11:17 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by turndownwhip View Post
I have broken spur gears and front out-drives on my NT48.3 - also powered by an LRP .30x

The clutch does need more regular maintenance ( I run all four al. shoes as well w green and gold springs).

I cannot say if the breakages are systemic or just one off things. I had plenty of spares so it was not a big problem...

I like my D8TE better - more durable and far easier to wrench on. Especially center diff area - and the diffs themselves are more durable from what I have noticed - again with a big power motor - RB TM928...

For racing I use a D817t, avid stiffeners with a Rex .25...
How have your diffs held up on the Tekno with the .30X? Glad someone else finally responded to my thread lol! I was beginning to think that maybe I should have asked this question in the MT section since I wasn't getting much response here.
What type of tires are you running? I know if I run track tires on my current RC8T the diffs last a lot longer because I'm usually running in grass or loose dirt and they just break loose. Then I put the Pro line Badlands on and it hooks up much better but starts eating diffs!
Old 03-01-2018, 11:49 AM
Tech Regular

I only run on a track...just use the truck as practice...not a race rig. I run 10 - 10 - 5 nothing special. track is medium/large (40sec laps on ave.) It gets very bumpy and has a lot of acceleration holes out of the corners. Because of the power of the LRP. I geared up to a 14 on the bell ( I think...anyways one larger than stock). Diffs are fine - meaning I never subject them to bashing or full on race scenario...have a 8 minute run. Put her down and drive buggy for a 8 minute run..then shoot the shit with the boys. Like I said...I race a D817T
Old 03-01-2018, 11:49 AM
Tech Regular

Oh sorry! AKA Impact...
Old 03-01-2018, 12:18 PM
Tech Addict

So Tekno diffs aren't good for bashing or high powered engines? Anyone know how strong the Mugen diffs are in comparison to the HB and Tekno diffs.
Old 03-01-2018, 07:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by turndownwhip View Post
I only run on a track...just use the truck as practice...not a race rig. I run 10 - 10 - 5 nothing special. track is medium/large (40sec laps on ave.) It gets very bumpy and has a lot of acceleration holes out of the corners. Because of the power of the LRP. I geared up to a 14 on the bell ( I think...anyways one larger than stock). Diffs are fine - meaning I never subject them to bashing or full on race scenario...have a 8 minute run. Put her down and drive buggy for a 8 minute run..then shoot the shit with the boys. Like I said...I race a D817T
Cool, thanks for the info! I would love to run on a track someday. I just don't live all that close to one. For now my yard is what I got which is grass and loose soil in the corn field next to me lol! My driveway is gravel so I try to stay out of that even though it is fun. I've always wanted the Tekno truggy. I just had a guy at my LHS telling me that he thought the newest Losi truggy had strong diffs and would work just as well for $150 less than the Tekno.
Old 03-01-2018, 10:37 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Cardiak View Post
So Tekno diffs aren't good for bashing or high powered engines? Anyone know how strong the Mugen diffs are in comparison to the HB and Tekno diffs.
I never said that. I have never toasted the diff. Only the front outrive on LHS and a spur gear. The diff gears themselved have held up.
Old 03-02-2018, 03:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 127 (100%+)

Yeah the tekno diffs gears are solid. I did have essesive wear on the outdrives tho it was the first gen on the original nt48. No spur breakage for me as well....ran a modified nova .25 and a modified o.s..25
Old 03-02-2018, 04:16 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Neesh View Post
Yeah the tekno diffs gears are solid. I did have essesive wear on the outdrives tho it was the first gen on the original nt48. No spur breakage for me as well....ran a modified nova .25 and a modified o.s..25
Nice! It's looking like the Tekno should work out well for me. It's interesting that you didn't have any spur troubles on your first gen NT48 but Turndownwhip had an issue on his .3. I really don't think I'm all that hard on my stuff. I just don't think my old RC8T was ever intended to handle the type of power that the .30X has. After all a .30 sized engine does have roughly 50% more displacement than a .21!
Old 03-02-2018, 04:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 127 (100%+)

Forgot to mention that I run the m2c chassis so no spur issues
Old 03-02-2018, 09:57 AM
Tech Regular

Default M2C

Originally Posted by Neesh View Post
Forgot to mention that I run the m2c chassis so no spur issues
Me too...the gear itself look suspect...like thevheat treating made it too brittle...
Old 03-02-2018, 10:01 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Micah78 View Post
Nice! It's looking like the Tekno should work out well for me. It's interesting that you didn't have any spur troubles on your first gen NT48 but Turndownwhip had an issue on his .3. I really don't think I'm all that hard on my stuff. I just don't think my old RC8T was ever intended to handle the type of power that the .30X has. After all a .30 sized engine does have roughly 50% more displacement than a .21!
Gear that tiger up! Double checked. I do run a 14 and still got a ton of low end pull...top speed pretty good too...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.