Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Evoking1230
  • 1 Post By Matt Piva
  • 1 Post By ozziii

What shock oil and diff fluid weights?

Old 01-15-2018, 09:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 145 (99%+)
Default What shock oil and diff fluid weights?

What weight of shock oil and diff fluid do you normally have with you at the track?
Old 01-15-2018, 03:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

All of them. :-)
2fst4u67 likes this.
Old 01-15-2018, 11:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by highvoltage View Post
What weight of shock oil and diff fluid do you normally have with you at the track?
20-45 covers all the weights u will ever use. I use 27-30-32-35-37-40 a lot
token likes this.
Old 01-19-2018, 11:09 PM
Tech Initiate

50k front and rear, 100k center. 30-45 suits me fine.
Old 01-20-2018, 02:00 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TheNitroGuru View Post
Really? Usually / Commonly one runs a heavier fluid in the front than the rear, not the same...
Old 01-21-2018, 02:28 AM
Tech Fanatic

In what car and on what surface are you running those diff oils in?
Old 01-21-2018, 08:22 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by NitroVein View Post
In what car and on what surface are you running those diff oils in?
Probably be something like a monster truck, my old Revo 3.3 had 50k & 30k from what I can remember, that was standard.

As for my 1/8 nitro buggy oils, depends what works, but from 3k to 10k I have for diffs & take it all. Currently using 8/6/3 but will change to 10/8/4 so oils I would take would be 10/8k front. 8/7/6k center, 4/3k rear, need to get some 12k for front.
Then with shocks it depends on what works with pistons, normally 350/400, it works nearly everywhere, being hot I might go 400/450 so wouldn't need all my oils at the track, probably just take 350-400-450, I wouldn't need any others, in cold weather I might take 300.
Old 01-21-2018, 11:07 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by ozziii View Post
Probably be something like a monster truck, my old Revo 3.3 had 50k & 30k from what I can remember, that was standard.
I thought so too, but then I wondered who runs that kind of a car at the track.
Old 01-22-2018, 02:01 AM
Tech Initiate

That is in my Truggy, but I do not race anymore, so that's the reason for such a high diff ratio. Sorry I didn't mention that.
Old 01-22-2018, 09:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

That is in my Truggy, but I do not race anymore, so that's the reason for such a high diff ratio. Sorry I didn't mention that.
I think a very common diff set up is from front to rear 7/10/5 for truck and 5/7/3 buggy. U donít need anything over 15k in your truggy center imo. And in buggy u donít need to go below 1k/2k in rear imo. Itís almost best to stick to a normal front and center oils and tune on the rear.
Old 01-22-2018, 12:51 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Matt Piva View Post
I think a very common diff set up is from front to rear 7/10/5 for truck and 5/7/3 buggy. U don’t need anything over 15k in your truggy center imo. And in buggy u don’t need to go below 1k/2k in rear imo. It’s almost best to stick to a normal front and center oils and tune on the rear.
Eh, that's not really true. If you have a modded engine or even some stock .28-32's you will absolutely get tire spin, lose traction and in turn that decreases speed and performance. I have a TNS 28 and 32, both need high diff counts or the tire spins is immense. I should have mentioned originally that is indeed not for racing, if you're just setting up a track rig for sure you shouldn't need anything over 15k as long as you have proper treads on your rig. But, let's not get it wrong, 50k front and rear are very beneficial for serious engines that can't get enough traction. Should have clarified that, my mistake.

Edit: Also just realized the original post asked about track oils, so I guess what I have said here is irrelevant to what you're seeking. I apologize, but going to leave this up in case hobbyists like myself just enjoy the bashing element nowadays and have segregated from the race scene. Sorry about that.
Old 01-24-2018, 07:57 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Matt Piva View Post
I think a very common diff set up is from front to rear 7/10/5 for truck and 5/7/3 buggy. U donít need anything over 15k in your truggy center imo. And in buggy u donít need to go below 1k/2k in rear imo. Itís almost best to stick to a normal front and center oils and tune on the rear.
Eh, that's not really true. If you have a modded engine or even some stock .28-32's you will absolutely get tire spin, lose traction and in turn that decreases speed and performance. I have a TNS 28 and 32, both need high diff counts or the tire spins is immense. I should have mentioned originally that is indeed not for racing, if you're just setting up a track rig for sure you shouldn't need anything over 15k as long as you have proper treads on your rig. But, let's not get it wrong, 50k front and rear are very beneficial for serious engines that can't get enough traction. Should have clarified that, my mistake.

Edit: Also just realized the original post asked about track oils, so I guess what I have said here is irrelevant to what you're seeking. I apologize, but going to leave this up in case hobbyists like myself just enjoy the bashing element nowadays and have segregated from the race scene. Sorry about that.
All brands are different, & even different models of the same brand can need different oils.
5/5/3 & 7/5/3 was standard for my JQ Yellow Edition & worked well, a little thicker in some situations still worked well but it was good nearly everywhere. But the next model, the White Edition, even with the same gearing, could use slightly thicker oils in the same places as the Yellow & still perform.
But now the JQ Black Edition, oils can be thicker & it performs better.
It has different gearing though, less low down torque & more high end. Standard oils are 10/6/3 but people are using 12k & more front, 10-15k centre & sometimes more, & rear is standard with 3k still but people are changing to 4 & 5k with good performance, I currently run 8/6/3 for loose tracks, but but going to 10/8/4 very soon. The Black Edition likes thicker oils partly due to the higher gearing.
What works in one brand doesn't always work in another & in some cases can cause the performance to drop. Oils should be used to suit a track surface, style, driving style, gearing & they also have an impact on steering, acceleration, grip through corners & other performance area's. best bet is to start with a factory starting set up & tune to suit yourself, the track & conditions.
Evoking1230 likes this.