Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Pooch692000
  • 1 Post By Cardiak
  • 1 Post By Evoking1230

Losi 8t kit vs rtr

Old 12-24-2017, 04:54 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Losi 8t kit vs rtr

What are the main upgrades the kit has that the rtr does not have( other than the stated no motor, esc, tx/rx, servos and battery for power). Trying to see if it makes sense to buy the rtr and upgrade as i go . Was going to compare parts list, but figured iwould reach out to see if anyone here did this already. Rtr is $399 vs $499 for kit. Seems to me that best buhnis to buy kit. Not going to sanctioned racing and dont need top of the line electronics, motor/exhaust so help me make a decision
CBren32 likes this.
Old 12-24-2017, 05:52 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Pooch692000 View Post
What are the main upgrades the kit has that the rtr does not have( other than the stated no motor, esc, tx/rx, servos and battery for power). Trying to see if it makes sense to buy the rtr and upgrade as i go . Was going to compare parts list, but figured iwould reach out to see if anyone here did this already. Rtr is $399 vs $499 for kit. Seems to me that best buhnis to buy kit. Not going to sanctioned racing and dont need top of the line electronics, motor/exhaust so help me make a decision
You will spend more in the long run replacing parts on the RTR. Buy the kit.
CBren32 likes this.
Old 12-24-2017, 10:12 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Pooch692000 View Post
I agree, the kit is always the best bet. BUT, this Losi 8 RTR is probably the most capable RTR out there in my opinion. Out of the box, it's still a damn good rig and if you're new to the hobby without much experience, save yourself some headaches and go for the RTR. If you break in that Dynamite correctly, that thing can be a true work horse. Obviously you won't be close to these TNS 28-8 or anything near that, but you'll be running all day on that Dynamite if everything seats flush and you take the time to do the proper break in. Good luck and honestly you can't go wrong with the RTR or the kit, it's just what you plan to do with it. Also, if you don't plan on doing any sanctioned racing, don't tune out the possibility of used. If you look, you can find well maintained in good condition TLR 3.0's with a decent engine for the price of a new RTR 4.0 (which is fully based off the 3.0 kit). Once again, best of luck on your quest for a new rig, hope you find what you're looking for.
Old 12-26-2017, 02:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cardiak View Post
You will spend more in the long run replacing parts on the RTR. Buy the kit.
I have to disagree with you, partially.

I have the RTR nitro buggy, converted it to pretty much a 3.0.

I do race, and bash occasionally with it and haven't broken anything yet *knocks on wood* and I have cased some jumps pretty bad and done a few cartwheels that I couldn't stand to look at until the end and came out like a champ. Now that its "cold" here in Texas, that may change but the reliability has been stout up until now. The body has more cracks in it then anything else!

Now here is where I agree with you...
Yes I have spent quite a bit on the upgrades. Key upgrades such as 16mm aluminum shocks, e3.0 F/R shock towers, adjustable turnbuckles and adjustable F/R hinge pin braces. But if you notice, they're all for tuning purposes, nothing for show. Im about to spend a bit more on a new pipe and maybe finally get those fancy Losi Lock nuts for the wheels and probably a 3.0 wing for the "adjustability" but then I'll be done.

The RTR is very capable on the track. Basic knowledge of what changes do what to the car and what you need to get around the course better and lots of drive time is what will help the most

And yes, Im still using the Dynamite engine. No plans to upgrade it.

I'll slap in a REDS in a 8IGHT-T 4.0 when funds allow

And the OP did say he doesn't plan on racing in sanctioned events, maybe even not racing at all??!!?? so the RTR would definitely be a better choice.

Feel free to check out my thread on the Losi RTR or PM me if you have any questions. Happy to help!
CBren32 likes this.

Last edited by Evoking1230; 12-26-2017 at 02:24 PM.