What Do I Buy -Budget $350-500

Like Tree2Likes

What Do I Buy -Budget $350-500

Old 12-19-2017, 06:26 PM
Tech Adept

Questions?? What Do I Buy -Budget $350-500

Hey Guys,

New here and have a dilemma

I only bash around the garden and love jumps & dont race but debating on trying it out(so need something reliable and strong)
-----------------------------------------------------------------
What do you recommend with a budget of $350-450?

I am currently looking at Hobao Hyper ST RTR(opinions?) & eyeing up XTM XLB 1/7 scale
------------------------------------------------------------------
Please give me advice, I live in Ireland so choice is very limited and I preferrably need it before Monday.

If you really want to help further, please check out these two sites I am looking at both are local to me:

mcl direct dot com

www dot radiocontrolledshop dot ie

Thanks so much in advance any help much appreciated
Old 12-19-2017, 06:29 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Best advice since you are new and just want something to bash around with don't get a nitro. They have to be tuned far to much to make it worthwhile. Second thing is to invest in a decent charger. Id probably say get a traxxas slash rtr sell the pos charger and upgrade that to a decent one.
Old 12-19-2017, 06:41 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by faqcya
Best advice since you are new and just want something to bash around with don't get a nitro. They have to be tuned far to much to make it worthwhile. Second thing is to invest in a decent charger. Id probably say get a traxxas slash rtr sell the pos charger and upgrade that to a decent one.
Hmmm good point I did have a cheap nitro buggy before, which I was just getting the hang of before it broke, with that said I will have a look at brushed vehicles but I am veering toward Nitro. Could you recommend the Hyper ST?
Old 12-19-2017, 06:46 PM
Tech Adept

Hmm good point! However I did actually have a cheap nitro buggy before which broke after half a gallon just as I was getting the hang of it. With that said I will definitely look at brushless! I am still veering towards nitro though, could you recommend the Hyper ST ?
Old 12-19-2017, 10:55 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Good, a new Nitro brotha. I'd advise ignoring above statement and solely sticking to nitro/gas. You get a real engine, with real components that allow you to get your car to maximum performance. The whole point in tuning is so you can find that perfect mixture between rich and lean. Electric is convenient, but extremely boring and expensive. If you blow up an ESC, enjoy that $200 purchase. If you blow up a nitro engine, grab a new connecting rod for $20 and get back out there for the rest of the day and not have to worry if your next battery is charged enough to get you 15 minutes of run time. Blah, boring. So, on to your post.

Honestly, the hyper ST or the hyper 7 aren't bad RTR rigs. I actually want a hyper 7 myself, just waiting for a used one to pop up. But, if I were you, in your price range you can pick up a Losi 8ight RTR. It's the best bang for your buck in RTR kits. The buggy is very well made (based off the 3.0 TLR kit) and pretty damn durable. There are a few small things that commonly can break if jumping high and racing hard, but that's expected in RTR kits. Honestly, for the price you can't go wrong with Losi 8ight, I'd suggest looking into it. But, if you're really into the ST or Hyper 7, pull the trigger on one of them. Not bad RTR kits at all and very smooth looking. Personally, I'd advise steering clear of the XTM. You will have limited parts, limited upgrade and not a very good base platform to start with. Best of luck on your search for a RTR and remember you can always go used and maybe find a better setup that is RTR.
fatboy64 and Goof like this.
Old 12-20-2017, 04:30 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CBren32
Good, a new Nitro brotha. I'd advise ignoring above statement and solely sticking to nitro/gas. You get a real engine, with real components that allow you to get your car to maximum performance. The whole point in tuning is so you can find that perfect mixture between rich and lean. Electric is convenient, but extremely boring and expensive. If you blow up an ESC, enjoy that $200 purchase. If you blow up a nitro engine, grab a new connecting rod for $20 and get back out there for the rest of the day and not have to worry if your next battery is charged enough to get you 15 minutes of run time. Blah, boring. So, on to your post.

Honestly, the hyper ST or the hyper 7 aren't bad RTR rigs. I actually want a hyper 7 myself, just waiting for a used one to pop up. But, if I were you, in your price range you can pick up a Losi 8ight RTR. It's the best bang for your buck in RTR kits. The buggy is very well made (based off the 3.0 TLR kit) and pretty damn durable. There are a few small things that commonly can break if jumping high and racing hard, but that's expected in RTR kits. Honestly, for the price you can't go wrong with Losi 8ight, I'd suggest looking into it. But, if you're really into the ST or Hyper 7, pull the trigger on one of them. Not bad RTR kits at all and very smooth looking. Personally, I'd advise steering clear of the XTM. You will have limited parts, limited upgrade and not a very good base platform to start with. Best of luck on your search for a RTR and remember you can always go used and maybe find a better setup that is RTR.
I agree with CBren. I understand the thought process in steering people away from Nitro, but its not what we should do. Instead we should encourage people to get into Nitro, with the understanding it is more challenging. Why in the world would anyone want to just take the easy road all the time? Why go through life on cruise control. Jump into nitro, learn, get frustrated, learn some more, and feel the reward when you finally know how to get the thing tuned up.

Electric is convenient but Nitro is where its at!
Old 12-20-2017, 10:48 PM
Tech Initiate

Most 1/8 scale nitro truggies are pretty durable as long as you grab one from a reputable brand.
Old 12-21-2017, 02:00 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NitroB810
Hey Guys,

New here and have a dilemma

I only bash around the garden and love jumps & dont race but debating on trying it out(so need something reliable and strong)
-----------------------------------------------------------------
What do you recommend with a budget of $350-450?

I am currently looking at Hobao Hyper ST RTR(opinions?) & eyeing up XTM XLB 1/7 scale
------------------------------------------------------------------
Please give me advice, I live in Ireland so choice is very limited and I preferrably need it before Monday.

If you really want to help further, please check out these two sites I am looking at both are local to me:

mcl direct dot com

www dot radiocontrolledshop dot ie

Thanks so much in advance any help much appreciated
Check the link in my sig
Old 12-21-2017, 07:13 PM
Tech Adept

I ended up going for a:

Hobao Hyper ST 7.5 Pro nitro RTR ( excited to try)
&
Losi 8IGHT ROLLER brushless ( now to find a decent esc & motor...suggestions?)
Old 12-22-2017, 03:47 PM
Tech Adept

Awesomeness, Thanks guys for the replies.

I ended up getting.....

Hobao Hyper ST 7.5
aaaannnddd
Losi 8ight E -roller !
now to finish the losi to get them both going!
Can any of you recommend an esc,motor and battery for the Losi 8ight Roller???
Old 12-22-2017, 04:07 PM
Tech Initiate

Whats your budget for electronics ?
Old 12-22-2017, 05:12 PM
Tech Adept

$150-250 dollars?
Old 12-22-2017, 06:52 PM
Tech Rookie

$150-250 dollars?
I would recommend a used hobbywing xr8 esc along with a 1900kv motor, with a smc 5200 mah battery.
Old 12-23-2017, 05:08 AM
Tech Adept

Will I buy spare batteries, and also what charger is best?
Old 12-23-2017, 03:33 PM
Tech Rookie

Will I buy spare batteries, and also what charger is best?
It might be out of budget, but I would buy a spare battery. For the charger, I would get a used venom.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.