Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
What Do I Buy -Budget $350-500 >

What Do I Buy -Budget $350-500

Like Tree2Likes

What Do I Buy -Budget $350-500

Old 12-26-2017, 01:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

I know you got a couple cars already but If anyone else is reading this looking for another answer I would highly recommend looking at the for sale section, I know you probably are stoked with that hobao as it is a great driving Rc but for what you spent if you got it in a hobby shop you probably could have gotten some superior components on here like a losi 4.0 kit second hand in good condition is a much more durable ride imo and they sell on here for as little as $200 all the time, n I also had the chance recently to buy a bnib os speed spec 3 for only $300. I know the kits come ready to go but in my experience I should have started this way after years of buying rtr n then other junk, I wish I would have invested every penny into quality kits and engines even my servos I got cheap ones that broke, came on here n got some second hand hitec 7955/7950 servos that have lasted forever while those cheap ones in the hobby shop broke fast, I spent 50$ on each of my hitecs that were way faster n stronger then the spectrums I got at the hobby shop that were much more. Even my engines Ive gotten 150$ os used engines that have lasted me major use, engines are important so don't buy one that looks old if u get a used one and stick to os because they are easiest to tune for a newb. A lot of times ppl have entire race set ups for sale n cheap from good racers, don't pass up those deals because if it looks maintained your probably going to get a much more quality rig then a new rtr.
Old 12-31-2017, 09:29 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Matt Piva
I know you got a couple cars already but If anyone else is reading this looking for another answer I would highly recommend looking at the for sale section, I know you probably are stoked with that hobao as it is a great driving Rc but for what you spent if you got it in a hobby shop you probably could have gotten some superior components on here like a losi 4.0 kit second hand in good condition is a much more durable ride imo and they sell on here for as little as $200 all the time, n I also had the chance recently to buy a bnib os speed spec 3 for only $300. I know the kits come ready to go but in my experience I should have started this way after years of buying rtr n then other junk, I wish I would have invested every penny into quality kits and engines even my servos I got cheap ones that broke, came on here n got some second hand hitec 7955/7950 servos that have lasted forever while those cheap ones in the hobby shop broke fast, I spent 50$ on each of my hitecs that were way faster n stronger then the spectrums I got at the hobby shop that were much more. Even my engines Ive gotten 150$ os used engines that have lasted me major use, engines are important so don't buy one that looks old if u get a used one and stick to os because they are easiest to tune for a newb. A lot of times ppl have entire race set ups for sale n cheap from good racers, don't pass up those deals because if it looks maintained your probably going to get a much more quality rig then a new rtr.
Actually think that is solid advice will be using what you said for the future no doubt with regards to used engines...arent you ever worried, I mean how do you know a good/bad used engine honest seller etc?
Old 12-31-2017, 09:54 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Budget

I would say best bet is to visit your local hobby shop and tracks. Chances are they have vehicles on consignment maybe even rtr. You can support your local track and lhs that way. Good luck bro
Old 01-01-2018, 05:18 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

id say get a newer used tekno vehicle. Great vehicles and great durability.
Old 01-04-2018, 04:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NitroB810
Actually think that is solid advice will be using what you said for the future no doubt with regards to used engines...arent you ever worried, I mean how do you know a good/bad used engine honest seller etc?
Itís a tad sketch. I have acquired a ninja bo2 and the os speed both for 150 and 175, thy worked for ever. However I bought a bo1a that in pics looked brand new so I asked why the guy was selling for 75$ n he said he didnít want it n he confirmed the engine tuned and ran great. Got the engine and inside and out looked brand new however the card was all sealed up n when I tried tarting it for 2 months I couldnít even get a spark, fortunately for me I had a spare carb n it started right up when I switched them. Now I have a new bo1a for 75$ that some guy thought was a dud. Sketchy but lucky. Iíve decided today I wonít buy engines from anyone that are used unless itís a reputable guy on here named f.
Old 01-04-2018, 05:43 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NitroB810
Yes always and you should be, people lie. But, if you do your research and understand the materials you can score amazing deals. When I bought my OS it was off some random eBay guy that had like 2 rep at the time. I just looked at the pictures and noticed the behavior of the seller. If you low ball them (which I always do, lol) and they accept your low ball offer, usually means they are selling junk that they just want gone. If people fight with you over 10-15 dollars increments, usually means they know what they have and realize it's worth. Always look for clues, if they send 2-3 pictures at limited angles, usually means they are hiding something that is broken or missing. Using this, when I bought my OS, I got it cheap and that thing came with a golden piston that starts on queue EVERY time. The thing is perfect and that's because I did my research and annoyed the seller constantly with questions that would seem dump or repetitive to most. If I ever even get the scent that they may be lying about anything, I pull out. Always, there are to many deals to be found elsewhere to take a hit trying to get the extra $25 off. Good luck.