Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Nitro Noise level >

Nitro Noise level

Nitro Noise level

Old 12-13-2017, 08:50 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Nitro Noise level

I live in Toronto and I知 still thinking about getting a traxxas nitro slayer, but I知 worried about the Noise level and complaining neighbors

Is the noise level really be that big of an issue
Old 12-13-2017, 08:54 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I am not sure how loud the nitro slayer is, but I was at my apartment complex the other day and somebody in the next door neighborhood was running an rc in the street and it was so quiet I could hardly tell what it was. All depends on the pipe I think.
Old 12-13-2017, 09:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Depends on engine and pipe.

Wife hates it when I mess around in the backyard with a 1/8 nitro buggy. Annnnd now I cant do it anymore, yet my neighbors are loud as heck :-/
Old 12-14-2017, 05:11 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

My 1/10th scale stuff is pretty quiet. The 1/8th scale stuff is pretty loud by comparison. I wouldn’t worry too much about a Traxxas being too loud.
Old 12-14-2017, 08:25 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by IOP_Racer View Post
I am not sure how loud the nitro slayer is, but I was at my apartment complex the other day and somebody in the next door neighborhood was running an rc in the street and it was so quiet I could hardly tell what it was. All depends on the pipe I think.
Do you think installing some sound deadening within the body of the truck and around the muffler would help?
Old 12-14-2017, 08:52 AM
Tech Champion

The traxxas engine is not that loud compared with several 1/8 models with .21 engines.

It is not the loudness that will irritate people but the higher revs, it is different than the motorcicles and cars they are used to be.
If you think you want to lower the noise afterwards you can always order this Hipex pipe:
MA120028 - PIPE HIPEX 12 2673 LOW NOISE
Old 12-14-2017, 11:45 AM
Tech Elite

I suggest you check out the local laws, some places have noise ordinances laws. Depending on where you run it, some places cause the noise to echo making it louder.
Old 12-15-2017, 08:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OV99 View Post
I live in Toronto and I知 still thinking about getting a traxxas nitro slayer, but I知 worried about the Noise level and complaining neighbors

Is the noise level really be that big of an issue
Everyone thinks all the noise is due to the exhaust system but there is a lot of noise created on the intake side of the engine.

The on-road nitro guys frequently have to run an "Ins Box" on the air cleaner to cut down on noise. I don't know of anyone running on on an off road vehicle but they reduce engine noise a LOT!

https://www.amainhobbies.com/novaros...-black/p704126
Old 12-15-2017, 08:51 AM
Tech Fanatic

Most of the time, the most annoying noise is indeed from the exhaust. Yes there is intake noise too, but the most perceptible noise is exhaust. One thing that will tone down the exhaust note and make it less sharp is to use very little or no nitromethane in your fuel. I run all sort of engines - some designed for 5% Nitro or less. These engines have a very different exhaust note when run on 0% Nitro than even just 5%. Nitromethane makes the exhaust note sharper and more crackly. The caveat to not using Nitro in your fuel is to change the compression ratio a bunch to make up for the lower power fuel. If you could get the compression ratio up to about 13-13.5:1, it will run almost as well power-wise as it would on 5-10% Nitro. However that would require changes to the combustion chamber/cylinder head as well as machining the top of the liner a little bit. Upping the CR AND keeping the squish clearance in check is a tricky affair. It can be done, but probably is way too overkill for this situation.
Old 12-15-2017, 09:08 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by SlowLST2 View Post
Most of the time, the most annoying noise is indeed from the exhaust. Yes there is intake noise too, but the most perceptible noise is exhaust. One thing that will tone down the exhaust note and make it less sharp is to use very little or no nitromethane in your fuel. I run all sort of engines - some designed for 5% Nitro or less. These engines have a very different exhaust note when run on 0% Nitro than even just 5%. Nitromethane makes the exhaust note sharper and more crackly. The caveat to not using Nitro in your fuel is to change the compression ratio a bunch to make up for the lower power fuel. If you could get the compression ratio up to about 13-13.5:1, it will run almost as well power-wise as it would on 5-10% Nitro. However that would require changes to the combustion chamber/cylinder head as well as machining the top of the liner a little bit. Upping the CR AND keeping the squish clearance in check is a tricky affair. It can be done, but probably is way too overkill for this situation.

Thanks everyone for the advice
Old 12-15-2017, 08:18 PM
Tech Elite

in my humble opinion, stick to electric : nitro are indeed very loud and there is also the smell of burned nitro.
i understand the excitement of loud engine and the smell. but depending on the shape of the landscape, i think a nitro motor can be heard 500 meters around.

i prefer electric : instant power, not much noise, no dirt, no smell ( except burnt electronic sometimes !! )
Old 12-15-2017, 09:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by werner sline View Post
in my humble opinion, stick to electric : nitro are indeed very loud and there is also the smell of burned nitro.
i understand the excitement of loud engine and the smell. but depending on the shape of the landscape, i think a nitro motor can be heard 500 meters around.

i prefer electric : instant power, not much noise, no dirt, no smell ( except burnt electronic sometimes !! )
Yea...definitely.

Just ran my nitro buggy for a few minutes out in the backyard. Good lord it was loud. To the point where it was bothering me
Old 12-18-2017, 12:26 PM
Tech Elite

Nitro loud and dirty. Are you kidding me. LOL! Electric is like watching TV with the sound off. Boring. Racing it is OK but nothing else.
Old 12-18-2017, 12:43 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Chris Reilly View Post
Nitro loud and dirty. Are you kidding me. LOL! Electric is like watching TV with the sound off. Boring. Racing it is OK but nothing else.
Facts. Nitro/gas is the only way, enjoy those ticking e-words in your back yard, while I rip my "loud" nitro down the street. I mean seriously, it's a toy car. Just respect the time of day and the amount of people around you. I'll only really drive my RC's in my backyard if it's on like a Tuesday around 11 a.m. At that time I know most people are at work and their kids at school, so is never a problem when I do that. If I want to rip my Nitro and it's 4 p.m on a Monday, I'll just head to a open parking lot. I mean seriously, if you have a hard time finding a spot to drive a 1/16-1/8 scale nitro, I won't understand. I have about 10 spots I can go to within 10 miles and I just live in a normal suburb area. You're fine man, people realize it's a toy car. They won't throw a fit and if they do, just stop and leave. All good my brotha, just stay away from those e-words unless you want to wake your neighbors up with your burned down house from charging those damn LiPo's in your kitchen. Screw that.
Old 12-19-2017, 02:50 PM
Tech Apprentice

No one has complained to me running my trimmer, mower, and blower on a Saturday afternoon. The pitch is not the same, but they are all just as loud. Just respect the neighbors, some may find entertainment themselves. If you can only run it at 8AM or 9PM, go to a park. It helps to keep it off their lawn....that's when people can actually do something besides complain.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright ゥ 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.