Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
This piston sleeve worn? >

This piston sleeve worn?

This piston sleeve worn?

Old 12-10-2017, 06:27 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default This piston sleeve worn?

Hey guys, so taking apart my 3.3 and noticed my piston doesn't have free moving. Seems to get getting stuck going near the top of the crank shaft. I can't seem to figure out the issue other than it may be my sleeve but it doesn't look worn out so not sure. Here's some pictures, all help appreciated.

Old 12-10-2017, 06:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

you can usually tell when it needs to be replaced because you may have erratic running, may not even start but the tell tale sign is when you move the flywheel with your finger and the piston reaches the top of the stroke, it should have a good tight pinch, to the point its feels like its stuck but then comes back down. If its reaching the top and then coming back down with little to no resistance, your piston and sleeve is worn.
Old 12-10-2017, 07:01 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Awesome, yeah so mine feels like it's almost getting stuck, to the point I have to put a little muscle for it to go complete 360 degree turn.

Also, this sleeve is one mother f'er to get out and put back into the crank. I mean like very very hard even with lubrication.

Last edited by CBren32; 01-09-2018 at 01:29 PM.
Old 12-10-2017, 07:05 PM
Tech Master

Yup, should be good.
Old 12-10-2017, 07:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I would agree. Ensure the piston and cylinder is oiled when turning it over without the head on it and glow plug installed. The Traxxas 2.5 and 3.3 have cast pistons - don’t turn these engines over with the cylinder dry/void of oil.
Old 12-10-2017, 07:38 PM
Tech Apprentice

you have ruined that sleeve and piston by prying with tools around the top,bottom and inside the ports.
the piston also has a huge gouge on the one side i can see,
In the future,if you want to take the engine apart, leave the flywheel on the crankshaft and stick a zip tye or something softer than metal inside the exhaust port, then use your hands to spin the flywheel against the ziptie to allow your sleeve to come up so you can grab it. looking at the damage you have done to that sleeve, your better off starting over i would guess. That sleeve and piston looks ruined.
Old 12-10-2017, 07:41 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by SlowLST2
I would agree. Ensure the piston and cylinder is oiled when turning it over without the head on it and glow plug installed. The Traxxas 2.5 and 3.3 have cast pistons - don’t turn these engines over with the cylinder dry/void of oil.
Okay, sounds good. I was very confused because when taking off the engine the flywheel would spin the piston freely without that hard turn. Going to put the sleeve and piston back together. Didn't know that was the case, thanks so much.
Old 12-10-2017, 07:43 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by mxking1712
you have ruined that sleeve and piston by prying with tools around the top,bottom and inside the ports.
In the future,if you want to take the engine apart, leave the flywheel on the crankshaft and stick a zip tye or something softer than metal inside the exhaust port, then use your hands to spin the flywheel against the ziptie to allow your sleeve to come up so you can grab it. looking at the damage you have done to that sleeve, your better off starting over i would guess. That sleeve and piston looks ruined.
Yeah the damn thing pissed me off with how hard it was to get out jeez. I just said f and went for it. Oh well, not to pricey.
Old 12-10-2017, 07:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mxking1712
Good catch on the tool marks. Doubtful it’s ruined, but it sure doesn’t look pretty. Advice on hard liners to remove - USE HEAT and some solvent like acetone!! Soak the case in acetone for 10 minutes, drain, and heat up good and warm. The liner should slide right out. These engines’ liners’ have a slip fit. When clean and free of varnish, they should slide it easily.
Old 12-10-2017, 07:58 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by SlowLST2
Good catch on the tool marks. Doubtful it’s ruined, but it sure doesn’t look pretty. Advice on hard liners to remove - USE HEAT and some solvent like acetone!! Soak the case in acetone for 10 minutes, drain, and heat up good and warm. The liner should slide right out. These engines’ liners’ have a slip fit. When clean and free of varnish, they should slide it easily.
Okay, thanks for the tip. Nail polish remover should work all the same I would think. But, I honestly think the sleeve is fine I am rubbing my finger and it's not all that bad going to go soak the case now. Thanks.
Old 12-11-2017, 06:50 AM
Tech Apprentice

Late to the party here, but yea you need a new piston and sleeve, when I removed my piston sleeve I first used a zip-tie between the piston and exhaust port, next I used a cheap heat gun from Harbor Freight to heat the case really well, then I used to pliers (very carefully not to warp the sleeve) to pull it out, It caused a tiny bit of scratching but nothing major.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:02 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

As stated, your best bet is a new PSR. Considering how cheap they are, its better safe than sorry. These Motors are complex little machines, and the better condition they are in, the better they run. All those nick's etc. on your sleeve even on the bottom of the skirt, if the brass yields there / chips / breaks, you will need a new motor altogether.
Attached Thumbnails This piston sleeve worn?-sleeve.jpg  
Old 12-11-2017, 09:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 1/8 IC Fan
As stated, your best bet is a new PSR. Considering how cheap they are, its better safe than sorry. These Motors are complex little machines, and the better condition they are in, the better they run. All those nick's etc. on your sleeve even on the bottom of the skirt, if the brass yields there / chips / breaks, you will need a new motor altogether.
As joe dirt once said
That sheet will buff out.
Old 12-11-2017, 09:19 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Haha, thanks for all the help guys. Thought it was a goner when trying to take it out, couldn't get it out so decided to hulk smash it. Oh well, not the end of the world. I'll just replace the sleeve, but I honestly think the piston should be fine. Still falls on it own weight, so nothing built up. There was a very minor scratch, but other then that doesn't look worn in the least. Thanks.
Old 12-11-2017, 11:48 AM
Tech Master

Piston and sleeve come together as they are made for one another. I wouldn't put a used piston in a new sleeve. Asking for more trouble than you got yourself into :-P

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.