Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Traxxas 3.3 reliability upgrades >

Traxxas 3.3 reliability upgrades

Traxxas 3.3 reliability upgrades

Old 12-09-2017, 12:52 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Traxxas 3.3 reliability upgrades

I am thinking about buying a nitro slash, however Iíve heard bad things about the TRX 3.3 is there any upgrades you would recommend to improve performance/reliability

Also I donít want to spend to much cash and I definitely donít want to swap the motor

Any advice is appreciated
Old 12-09-2017, 02:30 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Decent engine, not the worst. Can be reliable with the proper maintainmence and breaking in. Everything needs to seat flush with these engines. I'd say go for it if you like SCT, but IMHO the Revo 3.3 is the s%@$. Other then that, a lot of people (including myself) hate the ez-start system with traxxas, so I just go for pull start, like a $10 piece. Good luck, don't be disappointed with either rigs, they are both decent for the money.
Old 12-09-2017, 07:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

My best advice for the Traxxas 3.3 Engine...

1. Use a good fuel. Traxxas fuel is not good fuel. Too much oil. Use a fuel with no more than 12% oil for regular running. Extra oil for the first two quarts isn’t a bad idea.

2. Break it in warm. Preheat it for the first few tanks, and lean the needles so it gets warm. Do not follow traxxas’s break-in settings and instructions. They are too slow and too rich. Get the engine warmed up to 200F+ from the get-go and keep it warm throughout break-in. They are tight engines and are hard on conrods it run too cold initially.

3. Put a good pipe on it. The 2-chamber resonator isn’t bad.

4. Use a good quality medium heat plug. Hot plugs will cause issues.
Old 12-09-2017, 07:57 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks for the advice

Iíd heard about the crankshaft and front end bearings on TRX 3.3 failing, is this true?, if so is there any brand of replacement bearing that you recommend?
Old 12-09-2017, 08:05 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OV99 View Post
Thanks for the advice

Iíd heard about the crankshaft and front end bearings on TRX 3.3 failing, is this true?, if so is there any brand of replacement bearing that you recommend?
My current 3.3 engines of which I have two of; one with over 8 gallons and the other 5 gallons. Original everything except I just replaced bearings in both engines. Iíd say your claims are BS. Use a good fuel with a good dose of castor in it and donít run lean. You will be fine.