Like Tree260Likes

Mugen MBX8

Hide Wikipost
Old 05-31-2019, 05:05 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Mugen MBX8
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: E1 Diablo
E2025 - MBX8 Worlds Edition - April, 2019

MUGE0240: Wide Offset Wheel Hubs 1mm 2pcs; The 1mm wide offset wheel hubs will increase stability and cornering.
MUGE2146: Inline Front Uprights; The E2146 inline front uprights have smoother steering compared to the stock E2147 trailing front uprights and work great in high traction conditions. E2146 uprights can be used with both CVA and universal style driveshafts.
MUGE2168: -3mm Front Upright Arm; The -3mm front upright arm improves the initial steering response and make the vehicle more stable through the middle and exit of the corner.. The new upright arms also reduce bump steer and make the vehicle more predictable in bumpy conditions.
MUGE2235: 46T Spur Gear; The 46 tooth HTD spur gear provides a great balance of acceleration and top-end speed.
MUGE2252: 12T Pinion Gear
MUGE2254: 42T Conical Gear; The optional 12T bevel gear when used with the 42T conical gear will change the final drive ratio and increase acceleration.
MUGE2260: Center Joint Cup.
MUGE2261: Center Front Dog Bone (84.5mm)
MUGE2262: Center Rear Dog Bone (115mm); The front and rear-center dogbones for the MBX8 reduce friction from the stock universal driveshafts. Less friction will give the vehicle a more efficient drivetrain, increase acceleration, and provide more traction. The dog bones are lightweight, durable, and will increase traction.
MUGE2428: Rear Wing Stay +15mm; The +15mm wing mount has more adjustment and will help increase mid corner rotation and be more stable in high speed conditions.

E2021 - MBX8 1/8 Nitro Buggy Kit

Chassis:
The MBX8 chassis features a new design that improves traction and stability in bumpy conditions and on the exit of corners. The steering post are also keyed into the MBX8 chassis for easier maintenance.

Differential & drive train:
High Traction Differentials are included in the MBX8. The Mugen Seiki HTD provides increased acceleration, longer runtime, and more consistent handling. The HTD's also increase stability, traction, and improve handling in bumpy conditions. The HTD has a new larger volume diff cup to increase consistency during long main events. This makes it easier to time rhythm sections, better in bumpy and low grip conditions, helps to increase traction, and increases fuel mileage.

The new gearbox makes allows you to remove and service the differentials without detaching the suspension arm mounts. Easy access to the front and rear differential.

New straight cut 13T bevel gear & 44T conical gear. The new straight cut bevel and conical gears increase acceleration, runtime, and efficiency. A free and efficient drive train will also increase speeds while cornering.

Light weight one-piece wing mount:
The new lightweight one-piece wing mount lower the center of gravity. The position of the wing and wing mount is optimized to improve the performance of vehicle. The height of the wing mount is adjustable. This allows you to control the down force on the rear of the vehicle by simply raising or lowering the mount on the shock tower.

Light weight high down-force wing:
The new IFMAR legal wing is lightweight and provides amazing down force and cornering. The underside of the wing uses a new design to reduced weight and creates additional down-force.

Suspension:
New suspension mounts. The FF/FR/RF/RR are new for the MBX8.
The front and rear lower arms use a new impact resistant material for increased durability. The new arms are box-shaped and include arm stiffeners to reduce flex and increase durability. Adjusting the hardness of the lower suspension arms is now possible. This allows you to fine tune the steering and traction from track to track. CFRP plates will be released as an option part.

Center differential mount & plate:
The center differential mounts use a stiffer material and has a new top plate to reduce chassis flex and increases clutch bell, spur gear, and clutch bearing life. The reduced chassis flex also provides more consistent handling in all conditions. The top plate design also makes it easier to adjust the brakes and easier maintenance.

Enclosed Battery box and updated carbon fiber radio plate:
The MBX8 still uses a flat 2S Lipo or Life battery, but the receiver battery is now enclosed in a molded battery box. The battery box allows for quick and easy access to the battery. The molded box also helps protect the battery from hard impacts. The battery box is mounted to an updated carbon fiber radio plate.

Other new parts and upgrades:
Body, Clamping Servo Saver Nut, F/R Shock Towers, Front bumper, Front center and rear center universal joint.

Mugen Seiki MBX8 Manual

Print Wikipost

Old 08-22-2019, 05:24 AM
Tech Fanatic

More grip +1 and+2
std less grip
Old 08-22-2019, 11:05 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tom1974 View Post
More grip +1 and+2
std less grip
you got that backwards.
RandyJones likes this.
Old 08-23-2019, 04:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Tom is correct if he is speaking of the level of traction offered by the track surface.
Old 08-23-2019, 05:05 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by MugenDrew View Post
Tom is correct if he is speaking of the level of traction offered by the track surface.
Yes man
if you use +1 and + 2 the car is less reactive
Old 08-23-2019, 02:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Originally Posted by cHAmpa View Post
Adam Drake breaks it down here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WjzUB7igU8
Now is he talking about the 7or 8? Worlds kit comes with the +1 offset
Old 08-23-2019, 03:17 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by hyperfuxx View Post

Now is he talking about the 7or 8? Worlds kit comes with the +1 offset
It's a MBX7r in the video. But the same goes for mbx8
Old 09-04-2019, 05:05 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by iplaygames View Post
It's not really about "more steering" its the same theory as Ongaro's setup and how JQ is setting up his car. youll find on high traction it will help with how the car rotates as it will make it smoother, however on low grip it not allow the car to transfer and force the rear wheels together to create grip(bad explanation but for my brain to understand). on extremely fast very bumpy tracks these should work as the car shouldnt grab the ruts.
I have purchased both and am going to test other suspension tuning to see if its possible to use these parts but still generate grip for a intermediate racer. i feel using more caster and more front droop with a one step lighter rear spring.

Only my thoughts on it from running a prototype i got made when i first saw them, we're also running a modified split centre diff (custom cnc bottom halfs with tops modified with a cnc machine to make it all slot together.
Have you been able to test the +2mm and +4mm toe blocks? What is your experience with them?
Old 09-04-2019, 02:28 PM
Tech Regular

i ended up testing in my 8 eco with all the normal upgrades, - i used ebuggy as this was most consistent.

i ended up with these written as my notes:

Std block, works well with 2.75-3deg toe and for low grip, grip and stability in rear can be increase with 20g weight.(which is why 2.75 works when using 20g)

+2 block, free's up the rear in rotation and can provide a better corner arc than the std block, be aware this increases wheel base, if you leave as is, the car feels weird but if you increase rear weight more it felt it kept the car more flat through rough sections.

+4 is more of above really but i wouldn't recommend using for any sort of low traction at all, it gives the JQ low toe feel, itll have grip then suddenly lose it violently. softening up the car but keeping bars the same, helped alot. The +4 block is fast and was scary fast on a high traction half sugared track. the car will break away in the rear as you turn in and if you can control the slide it will reward with fast laptimes.

Something i started to test was Low diff oils with the +2 and +4 on low traction, i feel this would work ok with a harder compound front tire and SS rear tire... a good thing to look at in this case is how ty used to setup the older d8XX platforms, the cars suspension would be for tight rotation but used light diff oils so it would grip (watch the 2016 worlds final, you can see his and ronnefalks front tires ballon like crazy at points

Just my findings for my driving.
morgoth likes this.
Old 09-06-2019, 01:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

If you use more weight in the chassis rear you have more grip?
Old 09-06-2019, 01:47 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by tom1974 View Post
If you use more weight in the chassis rear you have more grip?
up untill a point of traction loss then the rear will swing faster, pendulum effect - but adds stability due to weight low down.
These are only my experiences, might be different for others.

Anther thing to try when using the +4 is 7r arms, extended shock mounts (rear) softer rear spring, im sure batlle is trying this at the moment - the car should naturally slide but flex and transfer enough weight to grip out of a corner.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:13 AM
Tech Regular

What size is This pin? Any partnumber?
Old 09-11-2019, 08:37 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Tigergutt View Post

What size is This pin? Any partnumber?
C0271 for the front and rear shafts in your picture (13.8 x 3mm)
C0270 for the center drive shafts and center dog bones (12.8 x 3mm)
Old 09-11-2019, 09:24 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by morgoth View Post
C0271 for the front and rear shafts in your picture (13.8 x 3mm)
C0270 for the center drive shafts and center dog bones (12.8 x 3mm)
Thank you 🙏
Old 09-11-2019, 05:01 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Gear boxes

I was told that it's easier to change diff oils in the MBX8. Can someone explain? I had a MBX6 and thought it was relatively easy.
Old 09-12-2019, 01:14 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by chud20 View Post
I was told that it's easier to change diff oils in the MBX8. Can someone explain? I had a MBX6 and thought it was relatively easy.
Itís not easier to change the diff oils itself, but itís a lot easier and faster to get the diffs out of the car. This makes maintenance and testing with diff oils easier.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service