Like Tree244Likes

Mugen MBX8

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-15-2019, 09:38 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Mugen MBX8
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: E1 Diablo
E2021 - MBX8 1/8 Nitro Buggy Kit

Chassis:
The MBX8 chassis features a new design that improves traction and stability in bumpy conditions and on the exit of corners. The steering post are also keyed into the MBX8 chassis for easier maintenance.

Differential & drive train:
High Traction Differentials are included in the MBX8. The Mugen Seiki HTD provides increased acceleration, longer runtime, and more consistent handling. The HTD's also increase stability, traction, and improve handling in bumpy conditions. The HTD has a new larger volume diff cup to increase consistency during long main events. This makes it easier to time rhythm sections, better in bumpy and low grip conditions, helps to increase traction, and increases fuel mileage.

The new gearbox makes allows you to remove and service the differentials without detaching the suspension arm mounts. Easy access to the front and rear differential.

New straight cut 13T bevel gear & 44T conical gear. The new straight cut bevel and conical gears increase acceleration, runtime, and efficiency. A free and efficient drive train will also increase speeds while cornering.

Light weight one-piece wing mount:
The new lightweight one-piece wing mount lower the center of gravity. The position of the wing and wing mount is optimized to improve the performance of vehicle. The height of the wing mount is adjustable. This allows you to control the down force on the rear of the vehicle by simply raising or lowering the mount on the shock tower.

Light weight high down-force wing:
The new IFMAR legal wing is lightweight and provides amazing down force and cornering. The underside of the wing uses a new design to reduced weight and creates additional down-force.

Suspension:
New suspension mounts. The FF/FR/RF/RR are new for the MBX8.
The front and rear lower arms use a new impact resistant material for increased durability. The new arms are box-shaped and include arm stiffeners to reduce flex and increase durability. Adjusting the hardness of the lower suspension arms is now possible. This allows you to fine tune the steering and traction from track to track. CFRP plates will be released as an option part.

Center differential mount & plate:
The center differential mounts use a stiffer material and has a new top plate to reduce chassis flex and increases clutch bell, spur gear, and clutch bearing life. The reduced chassis flex also provides more consistent handling in all conditions. The top plate design also makes it easier to adjust the brakes and easier maintenance.

Enclosed Battery box and updated carbon fiber radio plate:
The MBX8 still uses a flat 2S Lipo or Life battery, but the receiver battery is now enclosed in a molded battery box. The battery box allows for quick and easy access to the battery. The molded box also helps protect the battery from hard impacts. The battery box is mounted to an updated carbon fiber radio plate.

Other new parts and upgrades:
Body, Clamping Servo Saver Nut, F/R Shock Towers, Front bumper, Front center and rear center universal joint.

Mugen Seiki MBX8 Manual

Print Wikipost

Old 04-16-2019, 05:44 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by WTDblNut View Post
Thanks for the replies. Looks like that part number is discontinued everywhere and would have to buy the tank now. Here is the pic I was looking at......
Looking for some assistance on this fuel tank mod. For the life of me I can't understand why Mugen (and other manufacturers for that matter) don't have a 90deg elbow with fitting manufactured for this purpose. I really dislike the way the fuel line comes out of the tank and no matter what is going to either be turned tightly or will rub against the body and potentially restrict flow. Likely be anal about this but for all the engineering involved it seems like an idiotic thing to leave. Specially when it appears that Adam uses this method on all of his Mugen cars.

ANYWAY
I ordered the Losi tank from Amain so I could get the 90deg nipple. Now when I look at the Losi tank and this picture it appears to me that the Mugen tank will need the hole opened up so as to pass the fuel line through (tight fit obviously or I won't have fuel pressure.....)
Any suggestions, guidance etc.... would be welcomed on this as I want to get this right, an air leak is obviously going to be worse than the potential pinched fuel line or my dislike of the appearance LOL .

Heck no big surprise I guess but as you can see in this pic Maifield does this as well........and it doesn't get incorporated on a new car..dang it :-/

Last edited by GiMLit; 04-16-2019 at 06:23 PM.
Old 04-17-2019, 04:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (97%+)

You don"t need to open the hole up. Fit the tubing over the elbow then push it in so the flange goes through. The tubing acts like a seal. I've been doing this for years and never had a leak issue. I use Losi fuel tubing and I know there's some tubing that is too thick like Flashpoint
GiMLit likes this.
Old 04-17-2019, 05:00 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

The Serpent tank come with a 90 nipple already installed, part SER600832

If anything you can try eBay for some used tanks and maybe transplant some pieces around.
Old 04-17-2019, 11:16 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Thanks for the feedback.

I received this via email yesterday and thought I would share it for others.
Procedure - Losi 90deg nipple to Mugen tank -
Thick fuel line like losi or venom...you remove the Mugen fixture and pull the line directly through the hole...the line causes a seal then use the Losi nipple...put the long end into the fuel line...will not be easy. You have to trim where the line lays in the tank too because the line is thicker and the clunk needs to be able to move.
Old 04-18-2019, 02:13 PM
Tech Adept

which uprights come in the kit - the same page of the manual refers to both 2146 and 2147
Old 04-19-2019, 01:45 AM
Tech Adept

Will Mugen launch a new version of MBX8?
Now briefly?
Old 04-19-2019, 05:14 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Pedro Jesus View Post
Will Mugen launch a new version of MBX8?
Now briefly?
They just released the worlds edition, so I don't think so. Usually it takes 2 years for them to release the R version. Which means next year.
Old 04-19-2019, 05:50 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by snowninja View Post
which uprights come in the kit - the same page of the manual refers to both 2146 and 2147
standard edition 2147
world edition 2146
snowninja likes this.
Old 04-19-2019, 11:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

delete

Last edited by offroad dude; 04-19-2019 at 11:59 AM.
Old 04-22-2019, 07:40 AM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Sorry, without going thru a ton of pages.....are there any durability issues with the MBX8 or any particular weak points to keep in mind? Kind of considering a 1/8th, always been a bit partial to Mugen, but wanting something bulletproof.
Old 04-22-2019, 08:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tom1974 View Post
standard edition 2147
world edition 2146
Standard kit are offset, worlds kit comes with the inline uprights.
Old 04-23-2019, 04:06 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Sorry, without going thru a ton of pages.....are there any durability issues with the MBX8 or any particular weak points to keep in mind? Kind of considering a 1/8th, always been a bit partial to Mugen, but wanting something bulletproof.
this is a top car
Chris Reilly, frewster and Ratdog like this.
Old 04-28-2019, 09:00 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dan View Post

Rear turnbuckle ends, front pivot can bend without anti twist inserts..... Avid makes the inserts..... get the rear turnbuckle ends where the part number ends with "b".

Car is awesome.
Old 04-29-2019, 02:18 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Team, planning to get either the 8ight X or the Mugen MBX8. Any issues that I should expect during the build? Have build and raced nitros and gas before.
Old 04-29-2019, 03:07 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

No. The MBX7R was the first kit that I built and the build went smoothly. Mugen doesn't have all of the tips and tricks that some other build manuals have but it is easy to follow and build. The only problem I can see you possibly having is the hinge pins being too tight in the arms and this is easily fixed if it happens.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service