Search
Like Tree11Likes

Ofna Starter box question

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 03:23 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Ofna Starter box question

I bought a old Ofna 10250 1/8th starter box and it has the 12v 7ah battery in it and it is bad but cant find a part# or Model# of the battery so i can order a new one.
Does anybody know what kind of battery it has in it??
Old 11-17-2017, 03:24 AM
Tech Regular

also need info on charger for it...
Old 11-17-2017, 03:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I've been using a 4s battery in mine for 5 years now and it still works like a champ! I realize its listed as a 12 volt, but its been fine at 14 volts. And man does it have power! lol
I borrowed the 4s at a race when my OEM battery failed. After that I bought a used 4s off this site because it wasn't good enough to race anymore.....still using it. So if your charger will do 4s, that's all you need .
hillbillyrcer likes this.

Last edited by sickpuppy1; 11-17-2017 at 03:33 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-17-2017, 05:01 AM
Tech Master

I've just changed to a 4s LiPo in my box, was using 12v then changed to a 13.2v 4s LiFe, it was much better than 12v, but it puffed after a fair while & I was back to 12v, could hardly start my buggy at times. Decided it was time for a LiPo, haven't tried it on the buggy yet but it certainly spins much faster. $40 from HobbyKing well spent I think.
Go LiPo.
Old 11-17-2017, 05:59 AM
Tech Master

Any Hobbyking 4S LiPO, you can find adequate ones around 20$. I have old 5000 mAh 20 hardcase ones from my ebuggy days, works great
Old 11-17-2017, 07:09 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hillbillyrcer
I bought a old Ofna 10250 1/8th starter box and it has the 12v 7ah battery in it and it is bad but cant find a part# or Model# of the battery so i can order a new one.
Does anybody know what kind of battery it has in it??
Hi Hiilbillyrcr, If this is the blue starter box with the silver top plate all you need to do is find a electronics supply place and look for a 12volt 8ah lead gel cell battery and I found a charger for it at a hobby shop or you could look online for Hanger9 12 v 600mah charger. I have used this setup for years and it works great for me! good luck Michael
AHR43 and hillbillyrcer like this.
Old 11-17-2017, 07:23 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by UrabusDenis
Any Hobbyking 4S LiPO, you can find adequate ones around 20$. I have old 5000 mAh 20 hardcase ones from my ebuggy days, works great
Yep thats the one I got, 5000mAh, 20-30c hardcase, costs a bit more in Australia, $33 for battery & about $8 post.
Old 11-17-2017, 07:42 AM
Tech Adept

lipo in the starter box is the best. heck my old box with a 12v lead acid had trouble starting a .12 for a 1/10 serpent touring car I had.
I have the truggy ofna box and run lipos in it. best idea ever.
Old 11-17-2017, 08:06 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by stoney452
Hi Hiilbillyrcr, If this is the blue starter box with the silver top plate all you need to do is find a electronics supply place and look for a 12volt 8ah lead gel cell battery and I found a charger for it at a hobby shop or you could look online for Hanger9 12 v 600mah charger. I have used this setup for years and it works great for me! good luck Michael
i found the battery but i am finding out the replacement rubber drive wheel is no longer sold.
so i guess i will use it the way it is off my car battery untill the wheel wears out and then buy a new starter box....
Old 11-17-2017, 08:10 AM
Tech Adept

check ebay. there was some on there not long ago. I found a new belt for mine from a company out of korea on ebay. only belts I could find. it sucks ofna closed. their blue buggy/truggy starter boxes are great. I have a new wheel but I'm not sure if I'm willing to part with it.
Old 11-17-2017, 03:07 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by burnnitro
check ebay. there was some on there not long ago. I found a new belt for mine from a company out of korea on ebay. only belts I could find. it sucks ofna closed. their blue buggy/truggy starter boxes are great. I have a new wheel but I'm not sure if I'm willing to part with it.
i have already checked ebay.... Thanks for the info i havent been in the hobby for a while...
Old 11-18-2017, 07:05 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by burnnitro
The OFNA blue box wasn't made by them, just re-branded like their other products were.
Might be able to get parts from the UK through CML, its the Fastrax box,
FASTRAX TRU-START BUGGY/TRUGGY STARTER BOX #FAST561

Also, there is another box that is nearly the same, internals are virtually the same with twin 775 motors & the box is slightly different, thats the one that I have. It works great. I did have to replace the power switch early on though as it had a 10amp unit, now it has a 20amp unit with no further issues.
This is the other box, again, its in the UK.
Fastrax Power-Start Universal Starter 1/10th & 1/8th Box(Black)

This is mine, same as the black Fastrax box, probably not quite the same quality as the blue box but not far off.

I found this website (NitroRCX) a while back that sells the same sort as mine, although now it looks like they are out of stock.
Starter Box
On the NitroRCX facebook page it says they are in California so it might be worth contacting them, they may be able to get more or have parts which would also fit the blue OFNA box.
Old 11-18-2017, 07:13 AM
Tech Master

Q-World is the other brand I was thinking of that has the blue starter box, that may be the manufacturers name, I have seen the blue box sold under the Q-World brand on the net a while back, think it was Ebay.
Old 11-18-2017, 07:22 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by ozziii
The OFNA blue box wasn't made by them, just re-branded like their other products were.
Might be able to get parts from the UK through CML, its the Fastrax box,
FASTRAX TRU-START BUGGY/TRUGGY STARTER BOX #FAST561

Also, there is another box that is nearly the same, internals are virtually the same with twin 775 motors & the box is slightly different, thats the one that I have. It works great. I did have to replace the power switch early on though as it had a 10amp unit, now it has a 20amp unit with no further issues.
This is the other box, again, its in the UK.
Fastrax Power-Start Universal Starter 1/10th & 1/8th Box(Black)

This is mine, same as the black Fastrax box, probably not quite the same quality as the blue box but not far off.

I found this website (NitroRCX) a while back that sells the same sort as mine, although now it looks like they are out of stock.
Starter Box
On the NitroRCX facebook page it says they are in California so it might be worth contacting them, they may be able to get more or have parts which would also fit the blue OFNA box.

Not the box i have.. mine dont use twin motors or a belt.... Ofna 10250 is the part number of my box...
Old 11-18-2017, 12:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 204 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hillbillyrcer
Not the box i have.. mine dont use twin motors or a belt.... Ofna 10250 is the part number of my box...
Your box is the one big motor type, I tried a 4s lipo in it and found that when it started up it would just twist the motor around in the mounts, even had hose clamps on it and still would twist it up, so I went with the dual motor ones, atleast they cannot twist, but might still have it around if your interested, pm me if interested. Just not a good design for a starter box, just lacks the necessary torque to start motors.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.