Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Dissecting buggies and their performance. >

Dissecting buggies and their performance.

Like Tree42Likes

Dissecting buggies and their performance.

Old 11-15-2017, 12:38 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Gavel View Post
Pros are a terrible source of most information though. They run what they are paid to run, they are paid by the industry leaders, doesnt mean they have the best car. For example, the agama could be the best car EVER! but because they are tiny and cannot afford for Maifield or Tessman etc etc to drive their car and bring their name onto the world stage, they dont get the title of best car ever.

Also, they could do anything to their cars and we wouldnt know, changing geometries, whatever they do to their shocks, engines etc etc and wouldnt/couldnt tell us, so again, poor source of information.
I have to disagree with you. They beat the crap out of those cars day in and day out no matter what brand it is. You see stuff thats competitive and the ones that are not. A driver is only as good as their cars. #Hara
Old 11-15-2017, 02:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by token View Post
I have to disagree with you. They beat the crap out of those cars day in and day out no matter what brand it is. You see stuff thats competitive and the ones that are not. A driver is only as good as their cars. #Hara
How about Ryan Maifield? I would say he's more comfortable pushing the Mugen
Old 11-15-2017, 03:42 PM
Tech Elite

For the Sworkz (red mugen)

Suspension geometry.
A better MBX6, after countless revisions but hey they kept pushing forward and that's what matters the most. Hara-san was almost competitive with it, maybe the car didn't suit him.

Durability.
If you go to the Mugen and AE threads some advised to run Sworkz arms instead of stock, 'nuff said.

Parts flex and design.
Plastic parts flexed a bit too much, maybe a tiny bit more than Mugen so the car sports aluminium in places most expected plain plastic, the new s35 has carbon stiffeners that's good to have. Now it is a more stable design but the amount of parts getting released was mental.

Drive train efficiency.
I would say the old parts were not so great (like Serpent, not as bad though) but now it's way better.

How easy it is to work on them.
Improved with the new releases but will be as good as the others at best, really in this department maybe the DNX8 and the RC8B3 are the better ones.

Tuning parts.
More than anyone can count.

Overall support, both technical and availability.
Well they had AMain and Hara... Here they are well supported, shops have plenty of parts and on track they are an usual sight.
Old 11-15-2017, 05:09 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Hurry up and get to the RC8B3.1, the suspense is killing me. Lol
Old 11-15-2017, 05:41 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by brewert View Post
Hurry up and get to the RC8B3.1, the suspense is killing me. Lol
I saw a RC8B3 owner at the track but he must had some issue because he pulled the car after a couple laps. Later will add my review of it
Old 11-15-2017, 06:13 PM
Tech Initiate

I noticed my hb was super tail happy at first and needed a few things changed to make it drivable for me, im not that good at driving. Which is pretty off putting and probably why alot of people sell them, havent had an issue with getting parts at all from answer-rc. They have everything in stock almost all the time and its like the only place you can get them
Old 11-15-2017, 06:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

They beat the crap out of new cars every day. The only aspect of durability they test is shock impact. If they hit something and it breaks, cars weak, if it doesnt, its durable? Thats not how durability works for the rest of us.

And again, we dont know what they are running is my point. Their car may look like yours, or mine, but there could be changes we dont see, 1mm shock position changes for example, roll centres, flex characteristics, who knows what they do to their shocks, pistons etc etc.
joeh5088 likes this.
Old 11-16-2017, 03:10 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Pugg View Post
I noticed my hb was super tail happy at first and needed a few things changed to make it drivable for me, im not that good at driving. Which is pretty off putting and probably why alot of people sell them, havent had an issue with getting parts at all from answer-rc. They have everything in stock almost all the time and its like the only place you can get them
Indeed, if someone isn't confident in the rear and the parts support they don't buy a ton of spares, they prefer to change brands. The issue with the rear end comes from the Tessman setups, I've watched millions of videos and on site investigation that most if not all pros don't use more than a 1/3 throttle until the car exited the corner, some avoid throttle completely. That's going to cause issues for those that power out right after the apex.

Originally Posted by Gavel View Post
They beat the crap out of new cars every day. The only aspect of durability they test is shock impact. If they hit something and it breaks, cars weak, if it doesnt, its durable? Thats not how durability works for the rest of us.

And again, we dont know what they are running is my point. Their car may look like yours, or mine, but there could be changes we dont see, 1mm shock position changes for example, roll centres, flex characteristics, who knows what they do to their shocks, pistons etc etc.
Exactly, what good it does for me and you if the factory drivers get new stuff every race and clean them every qual because they have a mechanic to help? I have many cars and some sit very dirty from months... I can say the hudy steel isn't that great compared to regular steel on other cars...
stanleyw808 likes this.
Old 11-16-2017, 04:29 PM
Tech Elite

Moving on, tried the Spec A setup on my TKI3, 100%.

That rear end geometry is bass ackwards... The front end is easy to get along with but of course most pros "fixed" the front and kept the rear setup this is the TLR8 2.0 again.

About building shocks with more bladder support (foam behind the bladders) 4 thumbs up. Would prefer to vent the caps too.

Engine wise, the Sirio EVO3 STI+2013 pipe was a disappointment, was expecting way more bottom end, only thing I found was that I had to richen the LSN and lower the idle. Meh...
Old 11-16-2017, 04:46 PM
Tech Rookie

Maifield proved that at the worlds, the TLR looked horrible at the vegas track, I think he knew he had to leave TLR after that
Old 11-16-2017, 05:32 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

what kind of track conditions were present when you observed the cars?
Old 11-16-2017, 06:11 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by codster84 View Post
Maifield proved that at the worlds, the TLR looked horrible at the vegas track, I think he knew he had to leave TLR after that
I really like TLR but they have some figuring out to do, 1/8th at least (pointing to a JQ Black Edition).

Originally Posted by beansor2bacon View Post
what kind of track conditions were present when you observed the cars?
At arrival 10șC ambient temp sunny day clear sky no wind, average track temp 14șC, very compact and dusty surface almost clay. Temp raised to around 18șC at 16:00pm, tires coming of track at 24șC (heating 6șC for 7 minute stints). Never grooved on but grip increased a bit until 16:00pm or so, then plummeted. Smooth track but sharp low jumps present, one of them without reception. Some corners made of sidewalk tiles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o24lmdaOm84
Old 11-16-2017, 11:31 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The multi surface is pretty cool! Now to covert all that too imperial lol
Old 11-17-2017, 07:23 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by beansor2bacon View Post
The multi surface is pretty cool! Now to covert all that too imperial lol
well it was chilly. One big surprise was dust, or how little there was.
Old 11-17-2017, 07:34 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I'd hate to bursts bubbles but this subject is 100% opinionated. I can give you an example.
In Moto GP (gran prix motorcycle racing) one rider lets use Jorge Lorenzo as my example. he cant seem to get the exact same bike to work for him as his teammate Andrea Dovizioso. who qualifies better and finishes races in higher places.

with that said, I may be able to drive a 15 year old designed car far better than someone with a TLR 4.0. and break less parts because I'm easier on the car than the other guy. my opinion would be the car I'm driving is far superior. then someone else would drive his TLR and blow my doors off. then that guy would claim the TLR is superior. it's all personal preference and opinions.

I also watch guys every weekend run cheap ready to run engines and beat guys with $400 engines.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service