Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Dissecting buggies and their performance. >

Dissecting buggies and their performance.

Like Tree41Likes

Dissecting buggies and their performance.

Old 01-26-2019, 09:06 PM
Tech Initiate

Hey everyone, sorry I've been out for 10 years, play'in some catch up on suspension changes over the years, thought this might be the spot.
Little hitch in the discussion on suspension out-of-the-box,... I just built an Xray XB8 2019 and it came with two front ends??! So from the second you open the box you need to decide PBS or C-hub, never really seen that before. I went PBS stock setup to an absolute T, and after a couple runs I just dont see how the C-hub could be any better, or why they even included it. Is there a certain track type the c-hub could hold an advantage on? Is this the future of kits, entire different suspension geometries as a tuning option? When I stopped racing, Kyosho was top dog, Mugen was king and Losi had a new design called the 8ight, ya its been a while. These newer kits look and feel like a dream compared to what we used to run, I mean the corner speed is outstanding, and you can rip the trigger without correction, its just wow..! I guess you needed to leave the hobby and come back 10 years later to understand what I'm saying. lol.
fastfreddie5754 likes this.
Old 01-27-2019, 08:04 PM
Tech Adept

Not sure what you do with a rough tight track. Maybe PBS on the left, chub on the right?! According to xray chub has tighter steering, so if you dial out the steering get PBS??

XRAY unveil XB8E?19 E-buggy kit -NeoBuggy.net ? Offroad RC Car News

Old 01-28-2019, 07:02 AM
Tech Rookie

How do you rate the tki3 readyset for a beginer?
Old 01-28-2019, 08:48 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by TheWorstDriver View Post
Hey everyone, sorry I've been out for 10 years, play'in some catch up on suspension changes over the years, thought this might be the spot.
Little hitch in the discussion on suspension out-of-the-box,... I just built an Xray XB8 2019 and it came with two front ends??! So from the second you open the box you need to decide PBS or C-hub, never really seen that before. I went PBS stock setup to an absolute T, and after a couple runs I just dont see how the C-hub could be any better, or why they even included it. Is there a certain track type the c-hub could hold an advantage on? Is this the future of kits, entire different suspension geometries as a tuning option? When I stopped racing, Kyosho was top dog, Mugen was king and Losi had a new design called the 8ight, ya its been a while. These newer kits look and feel like a dream compared to what we used to run, I mean the corner speed is outstanding, and you can rip the trigger without correction, its just wow..! I guess you needed to leave the hobby and come back 10 years later to understand what I'm saying. lol.
Xray release a c-hub front end because tessmann preferrer it over PBS and it wouldn’t be much of a loss for them because they didn’t have to make new molds for those new parts because they re-use old ones from previous cars, like everything in life it’s subjective what you like.
BenPetz likes this.
Old 01-28-2019, 09:58 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Ricardo_d99 View Post

Xray release a c-hub front end because tessmann preferrer it over PBS and it wouldn’t be much of a loss for them because they didn’t have to make new molds for those new parts because they re-use old ones from previous cars, like everything in life it’s subjective what you like.
I pulled the Tessmann sheets to see what he setup on this PBS chassis, and to my surprise its also very close to stock. Paused a bunch of Tys youtube videos in the right spot to check out any of his settings, nothing special. You cant see whats in the diffs or shocks, but you can see the geometry settings for the most part. I'm sure hes does per track settings changes, but the base setup seems to be a pretty good setup for an "easy to drive stable" buggy. Also noted a big change in how most manufacturers are trying to design in low center of gravity stuff. Back in my hay-day that wasn't a thing. Lowering the CG and running long arms seems a newer design, also shows why everyone seems to be moving to lighter sway bars. The roll center setups look quite a bit different on newer designs also. It really sucks starting over, feeling like a noob. From A-mains with Drake, to knowing nothing 10 years later! lol!
Old 01-28-2019, 10:10 AM
Tech Rookie

A good place to read about the new setups is JQ has a setup guide. I also am becoming more interested after about the same length layoff. I do believe with the exception of a few tracks more tracks are smooth blue grooved. From what I have read the tires are a huge change. A lot of the off road tires have very shallow tread nothing like the tires of 10 years ago. Looks of chassis haven't changed much and it seems like narrow chassis and lighter are losing some of their fans. I am retired and can really study designs and setups. Info like now was only available if you knew the right people.
TheWorstDriver likes this.
Old 01-28-2019, 10:40 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by fastfreddie5754 View Post
A good place to read about the new setups is JQ has a setup guide. I also am becoming more interested after about the same length layoff. I do believe with the exception of a few tracks more tracks are smooth blue grooved. From what I have read the tires are a huge change. A lot of the off road tires have very shallow tread nothing like the tires of 10 years ago. Looks of chassis haven't changed much and it seems like narrow chassis and lighter are losing some of their fans. I am retired and can really study designs and setups. Info like now was only available if you knew the right people.
narrow chassis in off road is a thing of the past , they make the car too nervous and just handle awful, I would agree JQ is one of the few that actually know of stuff works.
Old 01-28-2019, 10:42 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by TheWorstDriver View Post
I pulled the Tessmann sheets to see what he setup on this PBS chassis, and to my surprise its also very close to stock. Paused a bunch of Tys youtube videos in the right spot to check out any of his settings, nothing special. You cant see whats in the diffs or shocks, but you can see the geometry settings for the most part. I'm sure hes does per track settings changes, but the base setup seems to be a pretty good setup for an "easy to drive stable" buggy. Also noted a big change in how most manufacturers are trying to design in low center of gravity stuff. Back in my hay-day that wasn't a thing. Lowering the CG and running long arms seems a newer design, also shows why everyone seems to be moving to lighter sway bars. The roll center setups look quite a bit different on newer designs also. It really sucks starting over, feeling like a noob. From A-mains with Drake, to knowing nothing 10 years later! lol!
keep in mind tessmann latest setups are with the 18’ not 19 .
Old 01-28-2019, 08:09 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Ricardo_d99 View Post

keep in mind tessmann latest setups are with the 18’ not 19 .
Good point. I guess I assumed he was running some of the 2019 buggy parts in 2018. Bunch of the factory guys I used to run with routinely ran next years parts and plastic compounds. However, you are right this might not be the case these days.