ADVICE NEEDED ON 1/8 BUGGIE, ENGINE & RADIO

ADVICE NEEDED ON 1/8 BUGGIE, ENGINE & RADIO

Old 10-27-2017, 05:35 AM
Tech Rookie

Cool ADVICE NEEDED ON 1/8 BUGGIE, ENGINE & RADIO

Hi everyone,

I've decided to get back into RC racing after 18 years ��
And I've only raced on road before
I've raced full size Dirt Track and Drag raced before and built my own engines and cars so have a good understanding of all mechanical aspects

I'm starting my off-road RC with a completely clean slate and am I'm looking at the following but want an unbiased opinions on:

Kits (something mainstream and I'll buy 2 kits, plus spares)
X-Ray XB8 ?
Mugen XBX7R ?
HB D81 ?
Tekno NB48.4 ?
Kyosho MP9 TK14 ?

Engines
OS21XZ-B III ?
OS 2090SC ?

Transmitters
Spektrum DX5R DSMR?

Servos
HiTech M7990 ?

Set up tools?

Anything else ive forgotten

Not looking for budget gear, want to be ultra compeditive & keeping in mind I'll most likely crash a lot I don't want something too fragile

Residing in Australia I will need to be self supportive as I don't think all are distributed here but not scared to carry spares

thanks everyone ������

BLOK

Last edited by BLOK; 10-27-2017 at 05:53 AM.
Old 10-27-2017, 07:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

You basically cant go wrong with any of the kits you listed. Of them, i rank in my personal preference as Kyosho, Xray, HB, Mugen, Tekno, for handing. Durability, i dunno, all pretty solid, apparently the HB and Tekno are tanks?

Engines for a buggy, if money is no problem, the b2202 is probably as good as it gets, that low head thing looks cool too.

transmitter wise i would avoid spektrum personally, they arent bad, but there are better. Id recommend futaba personally, but i have friends who have used the airtronics and the hitec lynx with no complaints.

servos, no idea, ive used ko powers for years (as in the same servo) but again, friends have had success with futaba, hitec, xpert, spektrum, protek. if you stick to the higher end models within these brands you are pretty golden really, hard to go wrong. Something worth considering when buying servos is warrantly options, if im not mistaken futaba and hitec offer warranty for servos used in offroad vehicle, other brands may not.

Goodluck!
Old 10-27-2017, 10:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

If I had to do it all over again I would simply wait for the best deal on here for a Losi 4.0, seeing as you want two cars you could find a nib for easily 30% cheaper maybe even with added parts or the actual update hop up kit, I saw a guy sell both nib 4.0 kit with the race parts kit for 550 no added taxes, retail that's 950 before taxes. You could also even pick up two used buggies so you have two practice buggies to go testing with, I've seen them all day for $225-300 n mind you some I've seen have been outright race machines barely used, no lie. Added benefit is they usually come with starter box n battery so keep a good eye out, mate! With the info u gave If I was you I would get a new buggy ($400) two used buggies ($250 each) find one with parts, hop ups and with a starter box ready to go so you have mod parts to try.

Engine department I would just find a second hand nib engine on here, os 2/3/b2101/2 you can get nib under 400, have Adam drake break it in. Get hitec servos, maybe in a used deal get them cheap.. sanwa is my favorite radio with losi, trust me! N u can get one on here from an on road guy probably new looking for 250, get it!! You will be ready. Buying used engines for me on here has always a been good but I can really get info out of someone n I only buy os used because they rock, just stay away from any unicorn os engines that look new n are cheap they may of got a bad engine n are offing it while still new but then again there are deals, get a guarantee or money back if it seems to good.
Old 10-27-2017, 10:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

A few years ago I got a ninja Jx bo1a for 75 bucks with pipe, looked brand new n when I got it the head the internals all barely used, however the owner did some serious sealing of the carb, after warming it up to Loosen pinch I tried over n over to start it, couldn't get it to start no matter where the needles were n the carb was sealed hardcore which lead me to believe the owner couldn't start it n wanted to off it while it wa still new, I put a new carb on n first second it started, ran brand new because it was, 75$. That could of easily turned out bad for me tho if I didn't have another carb.
Old 10-27-2017, 11:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

All good kits for sure. I've always been intrigued with Xray but I can't get over they update their models every year. Nothing wrong with that but, me personally, I don't want to feel I need to update every year. A buddy of mine went from Mugen to HB and loves it. I've seen my share of Kyoshos breaking front hubs and bending outdrives from seasoned racers. Tons of Mugen drivers out there so that has to tell you something. Look into JQ also. New buggy just came out and he has the most info on his car that you'll ever find. And it looks impressive. Check out his facebook page. There's a few OS based engines out there that's cheaper but, it's not the original. Futaba receivers are cheaper then Airtronics. Two of the best out there. HiTec has the best customer service out there.
Old 10-27-2017, 12:55 PM
dtr
Tech Master

Originally Posted by BLOK View Post
Servos
HiTech M7990 ?
That servo looks a bit higher than usual, might have fitment issues with it. If you choose Hitec, go for one of the the HSB-93xx servos.
Old 10-27-2017, 04:49 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the replies ����
Old 10-29-2017, 05:56 AM
Tech Rookie

Been looking closely at the Sworkz S35.

Any comments

Up close looks pretty awesome?
Old 11-06-2017, 04:16 AM
Tech Master

JQ Racing Black Edition, Not only do we need more JQ drivers in Australia (there's only 4 of us so far), but they are a great buggy, you also get great support from JQ & the JQ team/family. Well worth a look.