R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 10-25-2017, 06:07 AM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default astroturf tyres

Hey guys I'm here in the UK and the main tracks around here especially near me all use astroturf, I have done lot's of reading on whats best but I'm stuck on a choice of using the schumacher spiral or the mini spike tyres both in a silver (very soft ) compound as we all know the weather in England is mainly rain, so has anyone got any experiance using either of them above on astroturf and what you thought was best, oh and FYI I'll be setting my suspension all very hard ie the oils springs sway bars too. Oh and has anyone ever used Hobao spike tyres if so are they just as good or any better or worse?
Cheers
skylineR33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 09:50 AM   #2
Tech Initiate

I have a quite soft setup on my d817 and it doesnt grip roll even on try astro and handles the bumps better too
Pugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 09:52 AM   #3
Tech Initiate

It also tends to be yellow mini pins with a few rows cut off since they are really grippy
Old 10-25-2017, 12:52 PM   #4
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugg View Post
It also tends to be yellow mini pins with a few rows cut off since they are really grippy
Well i decided to buy the schumacher spiral wheels with the silver compound which is the very soft compound in the end, I'm hoping it won't grip roll, if it does any idea which spikes I should remove to help it not grip roll?
Old 10-25-2017, 04:04 PM   #5
Tech Initiate

Um no, Keep silver sprials for damp to wet conditions. They dont quite have as much forward bite as mini pins but have more side bite which can make it hard to drive
Old 10-30-2017, 04:11 PM   #6
Tech Initiate

yeah I'll keep the spirals for the wet/damp, I have some mini pins for dry conditions on order as well now, what would be the best row of mins to cut off to avoid too much grip roll?
Old 11-01-2017, 09:07 AM   #7
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylineR33 View Post
yeah I'll keep the spirals for the wet/damp, I have some mini pins for dry conditions on order as well now, what would be the best row of mins to cut off to avoid too much grip roll?
On my rears i have 4 rows on each side left so 8 rows in total. On front i have 3 rows left on each side 6 total per wheel, If you have issues grip rolling maybe take another row off the outside
Old 11-03-2017, 03:47 AM   #8
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

what a world you live in. Needing to lose grip. I spend all day looking for grip!
Gavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 04:35 AM   #9
Tech Initiate

Quote:
On my rears i have 4 rows on each side left so 8 rows in total. On front i have 3 rows left on each side 6 total per wheel, If you have issues grip rolling maybe take another row off the outside
Ok will do thanks I did take it out this weekend on the track it was nice and dry and I found the mini pins were grip rolling like crazy so I put the spirals on and it helped big time i was sliding a bit more rather than grip rolling on every corner which was easier to control. Think it will just take a bit of time and practice until I get the right setup.

Any idea what sort of thickness of diff oils I should be running?
Old 11-06-2017, 04:37 AM   #10
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavel View Post
what a world you live in. Needing to lose grip. I spend all day looking for grip!
Yes it can be a slight pain to get it right but unfortunately in the uk the weather is what makes us mainly live in an astroturf world
Old 11-06-2017, 05:07 AM   #11
Tech Adept

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

So glad this conversation started, I drove our turf track for the first time this weekend and was close on set up and enjoyed it, but still needs tweaking. 2wd buggy had mini pins, heavy springs and 35/32.5 oil...smooth high bite track. Was great but still had some traction roll. Starting now with cutting rows of teeth, and ordered VRP pistons (heard they're great). BUT, I was told 16mm ride height, how do I get it that low with heavy springs and oil and shocks already moved to out( shortest position)?
Old 11-06-2017, 06:38 AM   #12
Tech Initiate

Setup has a huge impact on grip rolling to, You want a low ride height 22-25 on dry astro and for diff oils you want thick. i use 20k 10k 5k but you can tweak it if you like
Old 11-06-2017, 06:48 AM   #13
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Setup has a huge impact on grip rolling to, You want a low ride height 22-25 on dry astro and for diff oils you want thick. i use 20k 10k 5k but you can tweak it if you like
my ride height is 25 front and 27 rear as it is a very bumpy track it has a few hard tight turns and one big jump then 4 smaller ones, the diff oil at the moment is 10 front 10 center and rear 5 rear that's all in cst by the way.
Old 11-06-2017, 06:52 AM   #14
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayfinnRC View Post
So glad this conversation started, I drove our turf track for the first time this weekend and was close on set up and enjoyed it, but still needs tweaking. 2wd buggy had mini pins, heavy springs and 35/32.5 oil...smooth high bite track. Was great but still had some traction roll. Starting now with cutting rows of teeth, and ordered VRP pistons (heard they're great). BUT, I was told 16mm ride height, how do I get it that low with heavy springs and oil and shocks already moved to out( shortest position)?
yeah man join in someone will answer you, I have found it hard to find much info on astrotruf setup. I'm not so familiar with the 2wd I'll be honest but someone else might be able to better help you than me who may give you incorrect info I do know that you do want a low ride height is the track bumpy and what buggy do you have as you may find a setup sheet for it on google?
Old 11-06-2017, 11:00 AM   #15
Tech Initiate

20k could help the car turn more smoothly off power. 27 is a little high even for a bumpy track, use lighter shock oils to handle the bumps and a lower ride height to combat the grip rolling, about 24 front 25 year on a dry track