Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Nebraska/Iowa Racing
Volunteers for a Scout Camp RC demo? >

Volunteers for a Scout Camp RC demo?

Volunteers for a Scout Camp RC demo?

Old 09-07-2014, 11:25 AM
Tech Addict

Default Volunteers for a Scout Camp RC demo?

Jason wrote:

So there was a rule change in the local scouting rules that won't allow for BB guns and Bow and Arrow demos at my youngest son's annual scout camp.

So I just jumped in the deep end and volunteered to setup an RC workshop to fill in. I figured with 10 year old boys, what could possibly compete with BB guns? RC Cars!

This is being held next Saturday at Camp Eagle near Fremont. If anyone is interested in Joining Augie and I for the demo OR loaning us a Shortcourse chassis that may be gathering dust, we would love to get some help!

I will be going out Friday night and building a simple track. Augie, Charlie, and I are setting up our short course trucks with EPA's set to really slow them down and will be running races for the scouts all day. Generally the workshops run from about 10am - 4pm.

If anyone would like to join us, I will help you with gas money, food, and make sure you have plenty of fun while you are with us!

If anyone has a Losi XXX-SCT gathering dust, we would love to have a spare chassis. We plan on letting each kid in each group run 2 timed laps solo and then the top 3 kids of each group we qualify to run a 5 minute heads up race using our three trucks. Each demo is an hour, we will use the first 20 minutes or so for a "Show and Tell" with some promotion of the Hobby and some information about local racing.

I used get paid to do RC demos at airshows YEARS ago, but this will be my first event where there is a "hands on" aspect. I am hoping tuning the cars with very little power will help out?
I'm hoping we can gain a couple of racers at the Plex out of this. We will probably be running about 75 fathers and sons through the demo.

Thanks again for any advice or help!
Old 09-07-2014, 01:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

I would be interested in this. I have a losi scte 2.0 I could bring. I can also bring my 1/8 ebuggy and nitro truggy to just show them some different things. You can pm me and finalize the details.
Old 09-07-2014, 07:04 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Unfortunately that is the same day as the summer series race at hobbytown would love to help out but most of the local racers will be there saturday
Old 09-07-2014, 07:28 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by scorpion51503 View Post
Unfortunately that is the same day as the summer series race at hobbytown would love to help out but most of the local racers will be there saturday
Yep, date is unfortunate.

There is a very large scout event coming up at Mahoney in October. Would anyone be interested in that if the opportunity presents itself? I know the Omahawks have demonstrated there in the past. Not sure if they are this time?
Old 09-08-2014, 06:54 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Love to help in October sir. Let us know and we will gladly be there.
Old 09-08-2014, 01:51 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I would be more than happy to help in october
Old 09-15-2014, 05:19 AM
Tech Addict

Thanks egobrkr for offering to come out. Sorry I didn't get ahold of you. We were not sure how the logistics were going to work out and didn't want someone to bother to drive out if we couldn't get a decent track together.

As it was we barely did.
Old 09-15-2014, 05:51 AM
Tech Addict

Our biggest challenge was putting together a raceable surface. The loamy area of the lot was either completely soaked or weedy. The dry part of the lot was hard packed small gravel. It was like driving on ice.

After working on the track for 4 hours Friday with the help of the boy scouts, we still didn't have a surface that worked.

I got up early Saturday and drove into Fremont and purchased 600 lbs of topsoil in bags, some lime, and as many bags of wood chips as I could cram in my SUV.

Here is what we ended up with:

RC Demo by jasons56, on Flickr

https://plus.google.com/photos/11447...15028458772365
https://plus.google.com/photos/11447...CIy73q6cuOa7dA

Last edited by jasons56; 09-15-2014 at 06:10 AM.
Old 09-15-2014, 06:14 AM
Tech Addict

Jason wrote:

We ended up cramming a full race program into each one hour demo.

We started with a brief show and tell where we had a collection of different vehicles, talked about the places people race, and showed them a video of the plex.

Every group was like "woah, where is that track!". They couldn't believe it was in Omaha. Funny thing is, most of them drove right by the Plex on the way to the camp!

Some of them had even been there, but had no idea the track was in the back building. Needless to say we will have some new faces at the Plex soon!
Old 09-15-2014, 06:22 AM
Tech Addict

Once we were done with the show and tell, we setup races.

We explained how the start would work "racer, less than 5" , how qualifying would be scored (fastest to complete 5 laps) and gave them 2 warm up laps before each run.

The kids that were struggling usually took about 2 minutes to complete a qual run. The fast kids were under a minute. Unsurprisingly, in the Cub Scout classes my youngest son set TQ. Wasn't too fair that one of the vehicles was his very own car. Little bit of an advantage!

However, each group usually had at least 3 kids that did pretty well. So after qualifying we awarded the top three with the chance to race in a 3 car heads up race.

We got some really good racing that way that allowed the participants to see how competitive it can get. We had kids marshall and do other track responsibilities JUST like a real track. They really caught on fast. Lets just say there are now 75 scouts in Omaha that could show up at the Plex and know how to race!

Augie and I took turns doing our best to imitate Scotty Ernst. The video clip of the Plex we used had Scotty on the Mike, so the audience was expecting the same. We had a BLAST doing our best to live up to the legend on the mike!

Here is Augie announcing a battle:

Augie announcing by jasons56, on Flickr
Old 09-15-2014, 06:28 AM
Tech Addict

After running the demo all day, we had kids lined up wanting another shot. So we setup some lights and kept our 5 lap format throughout the evening. Also, we let the Boy Scouts join in. They had put in HOURS helping setup the track and assist with the Cub Scout campout. This was their reward for helping. Some of the very dedicated assistants were awarded an invite to come race with us at the Plex, everything included.

The best Cub Scout times were in the low 40's for a 5 lap run. The best Boy Scout (not including Augie) ran a 39. It took them quite a while to run as well as the younger boys that had the benefit of a workshop!

I think we have a few of them hooked for life!
Old 09-15-2014, 06:34 AM
Tech Addict

One of the highlights of the day was the dad VS. kids race. I noticed a couple of Dads were very intently watching the action.

So I announced a surprise race and put the top 3 kids against the dads.

I gave the dads my full race setup SCT with a 7.5 motor to run...

The kids were running trucks with 13.5 motors setup with 30percent epa.

This was a definite case of "slow is fast".... Made for some very entertaining races. The kids were undefeated although I was surprised how quickly the dads learned to barely touch the throttle on the fast truck.

When we would have the 3 vehicle heads up races in each group, I would explain to the kids that one of the trucks was VERY fast and let them flip coins to decide which one they would run. The winner of the coin toss would always wisely pick the low powered easy to drive truck. And they usually won!

These kids were really paying attention! Didn't take them long at all to realize that a clean run was SO much more important than speed!
Old 09-16-2014, 07:53 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

That's awesome. Thanks for being an ambassador to our hobby/sport.
Old 09-16-2014, 08:22 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by kingofcool999 View Post
That's awesome. Thanks for being an ambassador to our hobby/sport.
Just being selfish really. Couldn't be at the Plex racing as the Scouts was a commitment. So we took the racing with us...