Wiki Posts
Search

Newbe Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 08:53 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Newbe Question

Hello everyone,

Hope everyone had a good fourth of july... I have a couple questions for the you all. I raced RC cars back in the 1980 when the RC-10 first came out (and yes I have pre-ordered one). I raced a kyosho Raider with the mechanical speed control. SO that should date me pretty well. I guess my question would be my boys and I would like to get back into racing RC cars and from the research I have just started to do the hobby/sport has changed a lot from last time I was in it and I'm looking for a little direction on what cars would be competitive straight out of the box and What are the classes are the most common. Its was 1/10th electric back in the day. I really don't care to go nitro. I would like to race in Grand Island, but making a trip to Lincoln or Omaha would not be that hard since I'm over by York... Any help would be appericated... Thank you.
Travis
Old 07-05-2013, 11:03 AM

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Welcome back

To answer your question would essentially take up more time and space than this forum allows lol, but the guys here will all be able to give you some great advice.

Anything you buy, simply put, is going to be fairly expensive. There are some decent RTR kits available, but you still need batteries and charger. The Plex has both an excellent indoor carpet and an indoor off-road (dirt) track. They also run dirt oval. Your choices are pretty much limitless

I suggest before you spend a dime, head over to the Plex on a race night and check things out. Each class has its own perks and challenges and you will be sure to find one that genuinely gets your interest. You'll find the racing crowd are all a pleasant bunch and will be more than willing to give you some face to face advice as you have questions. You will also find some great deals on used equipment (which is an awesome way to go when starting out!).

If you make it over to HobbyTown during the day, talk to the guys there to also get some good advice. You'll find that they won't "up-sell" you and that their recommendations are/will be spot on for your needs and budget.

Good luck!
Old 07-05-2013, 01:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

+1 to what Deja vu said. One class that would be a good start would be the short course buggy class. It is more of a regulated class. You have to run some things the same as the others racing. It is a class that you can learn to be a better driver but also be competitive in. Hope to see you out sometime.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Check out the 2013 NESCAR Oval/Off-road thread that's the GI track. It's a really cool facility and they race both oval & off-road. That would be a good place to start with vehicle types to make sure you can race on regular basis.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:21 PM
Tech Initiate

Default another new guy

Hi my name is Ryan and I have been looking around on this forum quite a bit, so I signed up because I'm ready to jump into RC racing. I have been up to hobbytown a few times and walked around the store trying to figure out what I wanted to do. One of the guys there said to go to some of the races to see what I like. So me and my son came up last night and watched the short course racing. Short course trucks look like something I would like. So where do I start? I liked the traxxas trucks but it doesn't sound like it is very competitive for racing, more for fun. I am very hands on, love to build and fix things. So a kit doesn't sound scary to me. So what do you guys think?

Last edited by carguy83; 11-06-2013 at 09:24 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-06-2013, 11:13 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

If you want to build something I suggest a Team Associated SC10 or TLR 22sct. It'll be more expensive than a Ready to Run, but you'll know the vehicle inside and out.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:58 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (95%+)

I have a really clean and recently rebuilt Team Associated SC10 4x4 Factory Team kit for sale. Comes with the motor and esc. All you would need is batteries and a radio. Looking to get $275 for it.

It's a great truck, I just have 2 of them and too many others!
Old 11-07-2013, 02:51 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks for the advise. I think I'm leaning towards 2wd because they look a little simpler to work on and drive being that I haven't driven a rc car since I was a kid. Now I have to figure out what to get. I checked TLR and team associated websites and they both look like awesome trucks. Does hobbytown carry the trucks and replacement parts for both trucks? I would like to buy from hobbytown because I like to support my local retailers.
Old 11-07-2013, 03:03 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

To me building a kit is part of the fun. In the end you will get better parts going the kit direction, but the down fall is it will cost more money.

You cant go wrong with either truck. I drive Associated so I would push you that direction. When comparing Associated a TLR is a lot like comparing Chevy and Ford.

Hobbytown carries parts for both trucks and yes both trucks are awesome.

Last edited by Cueball22; 11-07-2013 at 03:34 PM.
Old 11-07-2013, 03:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by carguy83
Thanks for the advise. I think I'm leaning towards 2wd because they look a little simpler to work on and drive being that I haven't driven a rc car since I was a kid. Now I have to figure out what to get. I checked TLR and team associated websites and they both look like awesome trucks. Does hobbytown carry the trucks and replacement parts for both trucks? I would like to buy from hobbytown because I like to support my local retailers.
Yes they will have all the parts for either truck. Both are very good trucks for racing.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:37 PM
Tech Initiate

So if I go with a kit, what motor? What is a good radio to start with?
Old 11-07-2013, 10:27 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Stock class is 17.5 motor and pro 2 is open to any motor. 7.5 and 8.5 seem to be the popular choice. Brand wise depends on your budget. As far as radios go Airtronics, Spektrum dx2s or 3s, Futaba 4pl. Picking the right radio system is mostly what feels right in your hand. Just go to Hobbytown and put the radios in your hand to see what you like most.
Old 11-08-2013, 12:29 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Now that i put the new TLR 2.0 steering rack, spindles, caster blocks in my 22SCT it handles great and the ball cup issues seemed to have gone away other than when you take a really hard hit. This will add another $40 on top of the TLR kit but it handles great. All i run is losi so my opinion may be a little biased, both kits are great but you will want to put the new 2.0 parts on the 22SCT. If you need electronics, i have a Novak Havoc SC Pro. I also have a brand new Novak Vulcan 13.5 if you wanted to go Pro2, or a Tekin 17.5 if you wanted to go stock. I also have never had any problems whatsoever with any of the Futaba radios. My name is Don and Im there every Tuesday and Friday and the occasional Saturday so if you have questions just find me and ask
Old 11-08-2013, 03:42 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I am particular to Airtronics and would suggest a MT-4 or M12 I have personally use a Airtronics M11X. Motors and radios are similar to trucks. It s a Chevy - Ford debate. You really cant go wrong with any of the top brands.

I have 2 Brand New Motors. They are both still in the sealed box.

Viper 8.5T Motor
List: $140.00
My Price: $65.00

Novak 7.5T Motor
List: $149.00
My Price: $75.00

I also have a Brand New Associated Factory Team T4.2. Still in the sealed box, asking $275.
Old 11-08-2013, 04:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

As far as the cars to, the Team Losi Racing 22 series cars are awesome. Although, Associated makes good stuff, too. Like stated earlier, it's all up to personal preference.

I use a Radiopost radio. The thing is awesome, though it's not really suited to someone just getting in to racing.

For electronics I run Viper motors and ESCs. Super smooth, and built like tanks. Plus, their ESCs have a 365 day warranty. No one else in the industry even comes close to that.

2wd is great to start with, it makes you a better driver. As far as what motor? I would suggest running stock 17.5. It's a class with very close racing, and the lose power of the higher turn motors is much easier to learn how to drive with.

One of the biggest mistakes people make when getting in to this hobby is wanting to go as fast as possible. Having to much power doesn't really do anything except cause frustration because you can't control your car or truck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.