2014 Summer Series at the Plex

Old 01-14-2014, 03:38 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default 2014 Summer Series at the Plex

It's time to start thinking about warmer weather and the best part of the year that is our annual summer series.

The dates for this year's series are May 17, June 21, July 19, Aug 16, Sept 13 and Oct 11.

I'll have the official flyer posted here once I lock down this years title sponsor. I just want to get the dates out there so people can plan for it.

The classes for this year's series will remain almost unchanged. We're dropping SCB and adding stock sct. Plexspec, Stock and Modified Buggy, Stock and Modified Truck, 4wd Modified, Stock and Modified Pro-2 SCT and Pro-4 SCT.

This will be the 9th Summer Series. Last year we broke records. Who'll get their picture on the wall this year?

Last edited by FroBoy; 01-14-2014 at 05:10 PM.
Old 01-14-2014, 04:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

Last edited by brian cox; 04-16-2014 at 01:44 PM. Reason: ....
Old 01-14-2014, 04:38 PM
Regional Moderator

I decided it wouldn't be in the best interest of the racers to do so. It would be a summer series race every other weekend, which would cost quite a bit extra for those wanting to run both.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:48 PM
Tech Master

Last edited by brian cox; 01-15-2014 at 10:45 AM. Reason: ..
Old 01-15-2014, 06:47 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Just goimg to throw in my two cents. Having this many races all in one day takes most of the fun out of it for the guys who drive 2 plus hours to come and race. Im with brian on this.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:28 PM
Tech Initiate

As far as time it's shouldn't be an issue after all it is just one Saturday a month.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:48 PM
Regional Moderator

At least we don't have this many classes, all ran in one day, with over 200 entries...

Or this many...

2013 JBRL Electric Series is Complete

Check out all the Results and Photos from the final round.

Congratulations to all the 2013 JBRL Electric Series Champions!
Rookie: Bryan Wyrick
Sportsman Stock Buggy: Jon Whitaker
Sportsman Stock Truck: Oil Can
Sportsman Stock Short Course: Jon Whitaker
Super Stock Buggy: Nick Wautlet
Super Stock Short Course: Matt Gilbert
Modified Buggy: Kody Numedahl
Modified Truck: Kevin Motter
Modified 4wd: Jimmy Barnett
Modified Short Course: Cody Turner
Sportsman 4wd Short Course: Vince Stolo
Expert 4wd Short Course: Barry Baker
Electric 8th: Chad Panek

http://www.jimmybabcock.com/Main_Page.htm
Old 01-16-2014, 07:39 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I've said it before and I'll say it again. You can't make every person happy, and you're a fool if you try.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:53 AM
Tech Master

Last edited by brian cox; 04-16-2014 at 01:44 PM. Reason: ..
Old 01-16-2014, 09:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by brian cox View Post
everyone views things differently, I myself think that driving 5 hours round trip and spending 8-9-10 hours at an rc track to race a total of maybe 30 minutes is kinda crazy when you think about it, one day a month or not, it's still a long ass day-period...so my original post was more or less a "is there a way to shorten the day" question as alex had mentioned splitting things up at the last few ss races! And you are correct, not everyone will always be happy! And until you have to travel hundreds of miles to get to your "local "track just to "club" race, none of this will ever make sense!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It does make sense. This issue comes up a lot and people want to shorten the races because they live far a way. To pay the same amount of money to race less is what doesn't make sense. This is a hobby and if you don't have the money or the time then you should not have this as a hobby. I love when you out of town guys come and race here. I love the different competition from you guy. Winter series went from 3 qualifiers to 2 because a handful of guys didn't want to be here that late. You pay the same for 2 qualifiers as you do for 3. It is youresponsibility to make time for you to come race not the track or race director. Alex does a lot for us to make sure the track is in tip top shape and everything runs smooth. To split up the summer series would create double the work for him. You could just run your qualifiers and then go home and not do the mains.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:03 AM
Tech Master

Last edited by brian cox; 04-16-2014 at 01:45 PM. Reason: ...
Old 01-16-2014, 10:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by egobrkr View Post
This is a hobby and if you don't have the money or the time then you should not have this as a hobby..........................Winter series went from 3 qualifiers to 2 because a handful of guys didn't want to be here that late.
Well that's hilariously ironic.....Because it's on a Sunday! The jobs we have that pay for this hobby rely on us being attentive come Monday.

Originally Posted by egobrkr View Post
It is youresponsibility to make time for you to come race not the track or race director.
Ummmmm that's not 100% true either. If Alex doesn't responsibly schedule things people might not show up either (I.e. Big Race overlap)

I'll be over to race no matter what to race because I can, but not everyone has that luxury.

Brian and I have been doing the Summer Series for quite awhile now, I remember when I would be back in DSM by 6:00 sometimes. Don't forget where you came from, or where you're going.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:17 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

The good news is that the Summer Series at the PLEX draws this kind of passion and interest.

My vote however is that if you split it up Dillan will not be running both days.

I have not made one peep about splitting up Friday and Saturday CLUB nights here but this change also forces me to make a decision on what chassis we run. It has all but parked our SCT and that happens to be one of our favorite classes.

Friday nights worked out great for us to run all classes. Now it is what it is and I make sure he and I work around it.

Lets also all keep in mind that aside from Travel time we all have the same time invested in preparation to race. So even the local crew has an interest that cant be overlooked simply BC we are 20 minutes from the track.

Dillan and I traveled to 8 different tracks last year and hope to hit more than that this year so I do get a vote on this. I can say with great confidence I understand the commitment of travel.

Pretty sure the dwell time at CRCRC(a 2000 mile investment) was right at 6 hours to run 15 minutes worth of qualifiers. You talk about a wait time.

Here again guys this is good news if the deal was not popular it would not last. It will work out and hopefully the Iowa, SD, MO and other out of town guys know that their investment of time is respected and appreciated.
Old 01-17-2014, 02:09 PM
Tech Master

Maybe one solution is to create online registration for each series race with a cap on entries? That way the time for the event can be managed better and folks can expect on how late they will be getting out there each race day.
Old 01-17-2014, 05:05 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Just my 2 cents here....we race on Saturdays so you will have a day to recover before you have to go back to work. I feel like the time was managed great last series. Although I don't drive a long ways to get to the plex...it's about an hour an a half from my front door to the plex. Just show up, race, have fun, then go home and kiss the wife good night and go to bed and sleep in on sunday. It's no different then going out on the town for a late night of drinking.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service