Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Nebraska/Iowa Racing
don't know what's wrong with my 4wd SCT. >

don't know what's wrong with my 4wd SCT.

don't know what's wrong with my 4wd SCT.

Old 11-30-2013, 10:01 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default don't know what's wrong with my 4wd SCT.

I have a losi 4wd SCT. With a mamba monster ESC and a Tekin sct4x motor. The last time I traced it the ESC came apart and the fan quit working and if I hold it up off the ground it will run. As soon as I set it down to drive and give it throttle it gets really glitch and wont run unless I give it a push start. If I do that it runs great as long as it doesn't lose momentum. If it comes to a stop it needs a push to get going again. I do have a glitch buster installed. Not sure if its in the motor or ESC. Any advice would be great. I will be at the Plex on Sunday for the winter series if you need to look at it. Hoping to get it fixed to race in the series without having to buy a new motor or ESC. Just don't have the funds for that right now.
Old 11-30-2013, 03:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MR ELECTRIC1972 View Post
I have a losi 4wd SCT. With a mamba monster ESC and a Tekin sct4x motor. The last time I traced it the ESC came apart and the fan quit working and if I hold it up off the ground it will run. As soon as I set it down to drive and give it throttle it gets really glitch and wont run unless I give it a push start. If I do that it runs great as long as it doesn't lose momentum. If it comes to a stop it needs a push to get going again. I do have a glitch buster installed. Not sure if its in the motor or ESC. Any advice would be great. I will be at the Plex on Sunday for the winter series if you need to look at it. Hoping to get it fixed to race in the series without having to buy a new motor or ESC. Just don't have the funds for that right now.
Sounds like the caps on the esc are bad. You probably need just an esc.
Old 11-30-2013, 05:07 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default Motor Issue

If that does not work.

I am not an expert on Tekin electronics, but I would first rule out the sensor wire, then timing board in the motor, then expensive stuff like escs and complete motors. I had a Novak setup that did something similar to what you are explaining and it was a sensor board on the motor. I replaced that and it worked fine.
Old 11-30-2013, 06:27 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I was wondering if it could be a sensor issue but the ESC is an older model that doesn't have a sensor wire so I don't have it hooked up to the motor with A sensor wire.
Old 11-30-2013, 06:43 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I had the Mamba Monster do that in my xo-1 just before it let out magic smoke. The problem is its having a hard time finding the position of the rotor during the start up algorithm. Try it out on a sensorless motor if you have one to try just to rule out the motor.
Old 11-30-2013, 07:56 PM
Tech Adept

I had something similar with my 1/8 scale a couple years back. It turned out to be the motor.

Tested motor with a second ESC and had the same problems. Changed motors and no longer had any problems.