Wiki Posts
Search

Need suggests for pro2

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 04:12 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Need suggests for pro2

I jumped from plex spec to pro 2 at hobby town. I am running a lcg slash with the 3500 velineon and it looks like it is standing still on the track compared to the other trucks. A few of the guys that I have talked to they are running motors in the 7.5 to 9.5 turn range. either need to upgrade motor and esc or get a used truck that is already set up. Any help would be great and if anybody has something that they want to sell. let me know.
Old 05-06-2013, 05:25 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

well. 7.5 is what i run down there. 6.5 is what i ran last year. that velinion has got snort. dont be afraid to gear it up, it probably runs hot anyway. as far as the platform of slash goes...its not the best race rig but still not bad. in the hands of the right driver goes, its just as fast as anything. a sc10 is easy to drive and setup. IMO the sc10 is very forgiving. i run durango and it requires attention to setup. this may start a ford- chevy style debate but all in all if your comfortable with it run what ya got. also ive heard the velinion esc is very good sensored. ive never tried it but was told its good.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:13 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks slow jim. I am looking at getting the novak 8.5 combo that they have at hobby town. I wanted to just get a motor but they dont stock anything that is sensorless. you mentioned a sensored velinion esc I do they make one or how do you modify an existing one to be sensored. that would give me a lot more options for motors and maybe save me some money at the same time.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:18 PM

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Hello and congrats on the move up! I haven't been able to race much for the past several weeks, but hope to be back regularly very soon!

Jim gave some pretty good advice. I wouldn't be in too big of a hurry to start upgrading your equipment just yet. In the right hands, your setup is competitive and is more than fine to use to get track time. Experience is the best "upgrade" you can ever invest in!

Your motor is likely in the 10.5 to 13.5 range equivalent. When a bunch of us got together and started running the Short Course Buggy class on Tuesdays, most of us were still also pretty new to Pro-2. It was amazing to see that our SCB times with 17.5 motors were often just as fast (and faster at times) than our full throttle, balls out Pro-2 times. Even today, the best of the best are still within a second or two lap times between the two classes.

At our track, having a good setup, driving clean and learning how to carry your speed over the jumps and through the turns is what will get you in the A. Extremely fast motors, poor setups and lack of experience often leads to a guy getting frustrated and never coming back. I made that mistake myself, a few times actually lol. When I started out, I had the fastest the hobby had to offer...and always finished embarrassingly poorly. Only when I calmed down and put into practice what I learned from the SCB class did I start to get competitive.

You're not going to be winning for awhile...and that's OK. But, if you stick with it, watch the fast guys, talk to them, ask questions and keep at it, you will pick it all up very quickly.

Yeah, you will eventually want to start upgrading your equipment. A sensored system is going to be easier to control and give you more consistent lap times. The Slash is a good truck, but even when guys were running them, they often started placing even better once they upgraded to a different chassis. Right now, it kind of sucks since the newer top brands are kind of expensive and their previous models are going obsolete. The Losi XXX is one of the better all time race platforms (in my opinion), but parts are going to become hard to get pretty quickly.

My 22 SCT is always sitting at HT over in the corner. Feel free to look it over to get some ideas if you wish. Also, if you want to try it out for one heat just to see what its like, get with Rob Turner on a Tuesday night. Just be careful with it The truck has already been "claimed" for Fridays, but I'd let you try it one heat on a Tuesday if you wish.

Essentially, you are thinking ahead and in my opinion, you are thinking the right thoughts...but just don't be in a big hurry. Once you are running consistent lap times, but a few seconds off the fast guys, then you will want to start investing in more and better equipment. To put it simply, never get so wrapped in trying to get faster that you forget to have fun
Old 05-06-2013, 06:25 PM
Tech Addict

Get an ac10.2 and be done with it, you could run the motor and esc you already have and be fine
Old 05-06-2013, 06:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Deja Vu
To put it simply, never get so wrapped in trying to get faster that you forget to have fun

This statement is spot on.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:02 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

near the bottom of your esc there is a rubber plug that you can remove which house your sensor board. most people dont know that esc has it. others can correct me if im wrong but i dont think theres a motor limit on it either. but i think your 3500 will be fine, its got a larger rotor than most which makes monsta jamm wheelies!! but like cliff said just have fun.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:06 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks for all the great advice. I am going to start with grearing up its geared at 83/20 now going up to a 24. see how it does. right now I just need to relax and race. And you are right about the xxx. I picked up a xxxt cr that I am running in stock truck and parts are pretty slim pickns. maybe see ya all on friday. my sct is the slash with the red and yellow scalpel body. the one that our race director called hideous LOL
Old 05-06-2013, 07:40 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

LOL, sorry about that. I mean everything in jest of course.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:37 AM
Tech Adept

Don't sweat it froboy. I wasn't offended. I actually thought it was kinda funny
Old 05-22-2013, 02:50 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Deja Vu couldnt be more right. Practice is the best upgrade. I ran a LCG slash with velineon system in it for a long time and was consistently making the A main. It wasnt until I switched to a Losi XXX-SCT, then started winning A mains. Just stick with it and it will start to come around. If you are still wanting to upgrade Motor and ESC, I run Novak Ballistic 10.5 turn with the Hobbywing V3 ESC. Some other good options for upgrades are a good servo, which I recommend the Savox 1258TG (depending on your ESC you may need a glitch buster on the reciever). Having a good Radio also helps alot but isnt totally necessary starting out. I used the Flysky GT-3B for a long time and is great for starting out but since I switched to my Futaba 4PK its a night and day difference. Hope this helps.