Wiki Posts
Search

Nebraska UF1 Series!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 01:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by padailey
Our plan does not have human interaction. I was asking 240Z why they were finding human interaction important.

As far as I know everything is going forward and they have everything needed but the lights and a box (which we intend to build) to put everything in. Like I said I'm not horribly involved anymore since my idea is no longer being used. I just know about it because I approached Tim with the idea.

So your offer is appreciated and sounds like you could get it done and cheap. I'm just not the one to say go ahead and build it. We could always have one for Omaha and one for Lincoln though.
The pit boss does several things:
  • Puts a sticker on the car so the drivers and race announcer know who has pitted and how many times by looking at the car
  • Holds the car from leaving before the allotted time
  • Keeps two cars from pitting concurrently

The Houston UF1 folks were working on a pit box with an optical sensor and a mechanical gate. Last summer, An UF1 driver from the Houston area raced with us in So Cal and seeing how simple it was, made one using the design on the UF1 website before the other box got out of the development stage.

I just want to encourage you guys to do what works for you while letting you know about some options that are available that may save you some time and headaches.

Having grown up in Nebraska, I wish you all the best in your UF1 endeavors and hope to race with you sometime when I go home to visit family.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:00 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by HobbyPLEX
Summer UF1/USVTA Challenge Series!!

May 19th - 'PLEX
June 23rd - MRO
July 21st - MRO
August 25th - 'PLEX
September 22nd - MRO
October 6th - 'PLEX
*Locations may be switched in case of weather

Daily schedule will look like this:
Doors open @ 10AM
Practice & Sign-ups @ 11AM-12:45PM
Qualifying @ 1PM
Racing @ 2PM

For qualifying, we'll run an open session for each class of 15-20 minutes, depending on car count. The average of your fastest five laps will be your qualifying time. Two point will be awarded for the TQ.

Three round of mains will be run for each class.

F1 will run 15 minute races with two mandatory pit stops. Pit stops can be anytime after the first lap and before the ten minute mark. Pit stops will not be permitted in the last five minutes of each race.

Trans Am will run 10 minute races with one mandatory pit stop. Pit stops cannot be made during the first or last minute of the race.

Point will be awarded using our Wednesday night system. 1st-50, 2nd-45, 3rd-42, 4th-40 and decrease one point for each position after 4th. With six race days and three rounds each day, that will be 18 rounds of racing. You'll be able to drop your four lowest rounds for a best 14 of 18 total. We'll also award 10 points to any driver who competes in all six races.

Any drivers wanting to form teams for a constructors championship, please let me know. If there is interest from enough teams, we'll have an award at the end of the series. The teams would be two primary drivers and a "test" driver that could race in place of one of the primary drivers if they were unable to attend one of the races. Both cars must run the same livery but do not have to be the same chassis.

We'll follow the UF1 & USVTA rules here,UF1 Rules,USVTA Rules. The only exceptions will be our 5.0 FDR rule and the driver figure, although strongly recommended, is not required for Trans Am. Any questions on rules, please post here or PM.

We've got a bit more than two months before the first race so everyone should be able to get the schedule worked out and get thing ready for a great summer season of racing!!!!
Time to start getting things ready!!! I thought I did but I couldn't find that I posted this anywhere, Entry Fee is $15 for one class, $20 for both.

Tim Ski
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
NEChallenge.pdf (318.1 KB, 94 views)

Last edited by HobbyPLEX; 04-19-2013 at 12:17 PM.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:14 PM
Tech Elite

Questions??

Originally Posted by HobbyPLEX
Any drivers wanting to form teams for a constructors championship, please let me know. If there is interest from enough teams, we'll have an award at the end of the series. The teams would be two primary drivers and a "test" driver that could race in place of one of the primary drivers if they were unable to attend one of the races. Both cars must run the same livery but do not have to be the same chassis.
Anyone interested in this for either F1 or VTA, let me know.

I should have team cars for both F1 & VTA, Could be an interesting twist on the season.

Tim Ski
Old 04-19-2013, 05:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I'm scheduled to work on all of the dates except two.

I'll try to make those two though!
Old 04-19-2013, 06:59 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I would be interested in doing the constructors championship for F1!
Old 04-22-2013, 08:50 AM
Tech Regular

Not rc but I figured you all would find this interesting anyway.

Time lapse of an F1 car being built-http://vimeo.com/61911435#
Old 04-22-2013, 01:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

How is it going out there? I have been away for a while but I came across something very cool. Drop the bl motor and put one of those rebuildable 27Tstock motors in it and put bearings on the can. Lots O fun! 8 min, no problem, 10 ? I have not tried yet but it should be ok. I gives a lot of pull in the corners.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I started the idea of the timing system here and like I've stated haven't been too involved lately but still kinda involved in coordination of the effort. Unfortunately I can no longer put any time or effort into the completion. Please someone take this and run with it so it doesn't drop on my account. I really wanted to help see this through but I have to drop out. Sorry
Old 04-25-2013, 03:18 PM
Tech Elite

Thumbs up

We're a month out from the first race, let's get a roll call going! Who's in and what your running.

Formula 1
Tim Ski - #1 Marlboro McLaren - F104X1
??? - #2 Marlboro McLaren - F104X1
Vishal Singh - Scuderia Ferrari - F104v2
Moe Barraza - ??? - FGX

Trans Am
Tim Ski - #68 Novak Chevy - TA05
Steve Javorsky - #70 Novak Chevy - TA05
Moe Barraza - Shake-n-Bake Chevy - Xray T2

Tim Ski

Last edited by HobbyPLEX; 05-13-2013 at 01:47 PM.
Old 04-25-2013, 04:04 PM
Tech Addict

Video of World Record set with F1 car:

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:08 PM
Tech Regular

For now I'm just running the Ferrari F104v2. But if there is enough interest in doing the constructors championship, I wouldn't be opposed to painting a new body to go on it.
Old 04-26-2013, 05:16 AM

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by padailey
I started the idea of the timing system here and like I've stated haven't been too involved lately but still kinda involved in coordination of the effort. Unfortunately I can no longer put any time or effort into the completion. Please someone take this and run with it so it doesn't drop on my account. I really wanted to help see this through but I have to drop out. Sorry
I sort of did the same thing. I had an idea, talked to Tim about it, but then never did anything.

I did get my hands on a Allen Bradley PICO PLC that has 4 inputs and 4 outputs. My goal was to have 2 photo eyes, the 1st triggers an internal timer and also sets the Pit Lane light to red (that way, its obvious pit lane is full and you can continue on with your lap). This timer essentially measures travel speed so that cars are coming in relatively slow and not bashing into the pit timer, framework, etc.

At times, I had a hard time telling if anyone was in pit lane already or not. The red light would help.

Once the speed timer starts, the car continues on and trips the second light, starting the actual countdown timer (10 seconds). If the car is going too fast into pit lane, a yellow light would flash and the driver would be penalized an additional 2 seconds. Once both the pit timer and penalty timer expires, the light turns green and the driver can exit. If the driver leaves too soon, then he would be required to re-pit once more before race end.

I was envisioning this thing being made out of PVC pipe and around 5' long, 2' wide and 2' tall. It would operate off of 110V AC. The Race Director would have a push button that he'd click at the start of the race. This would turn on the red light and close pit lane the first and last 30 seconds of the race.

I have the PLC and could get the photoeyes and reflectors if anyone wants to combine ideas and take over the project.

Also, not sure how far you would want to take it, but with a second "wire", you could actually record what car is in pit lane and export that data to Tim's PC. This way, no one has to add verification stickers, etc. But that would take another transponder system and some networking skills. I believe the Plex crowd has the skills to do this if it was desired.

Last edited by Deja Vu; 04-26-2013 at 05:25 AM. Reason: More thoughts...
Old 04-26-2013, 06:17 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

F1 fgx VTA Xray t2 007
Old 05-13-2013, 01:48 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

i'm in for Sunday VTA and F1
Old 05-13-2013, 01:59 PM
Tech Elite

A week away!!! Anyone racing, who's in??

Tim Ski

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.