Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Newbie intro and questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 08:33 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

If there is one way to describe the beginning of a plexspec a-main I think I would chose blood bath. I have learned, as of my 5 foot race last night, that the rustler can't compete with the short course trucks in a 10 car demolition derby. When the track gets redone will there be a starting straight? I fear that I may have to abandon my goal of winning a race with the rustler unless I can qualify at the front or the back and get past everyone after the pack spreads.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:01 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by SCStephens
If there is one way to describe the beginning of a plexspec a-main I think I would chose blood bath. I have learned, as of my 5 foot race last night, that the rustler can't compete with the short course trucks in a 10 car demolition derby. When the track gets redone will there be a starting straight? I fear that I may have to abandon my goal of winning a race with the rustler unless I can qualify at the front or the back and get past everyone after the pack spreads.

Voluntarily take the last position. After the tone, wait a while for the crashes to start then drive around them. I've done that before and ended up in the lead on the first lap.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:03 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by jasons56
Voluntarily take the last position. After the tone, wait a while for the crashes to start then drive around them. I've done that before and ended up in the lead on the first lap.

Driving a very wide line can help too. Over eager drivers tend to dive bomb into the apex. So on the start drive the berm so you are carrying corner speed and away from the inside corner where everyone piles up.
Old 12-05-2011, 11:13 PM
Tech Adept

Had thought to take last if not in the front of the pack. I am currently working on bulletproofing the rustler for a run at plexspec gold :-). Is it legal to run a "battlebot" in plexspec? It seems the mains are a whole different ballgame compared to the qualifiers.
Old 12-06-2011, 06:56 AM
Tech Addict

Had thought to take last if not in the front of the pack. I am currently working on bulletproofing the rustler for a run at plexspec gold :-). Is it legal to run a "battlebot" in plexspec? It seems the mains are a whole different ballgame compared to the qualifiers.
It's not just Plex. Key is to not break on the first lap. With smooth wreck free driving you should easily be able to make up for a slow start. That has been key to Augie's wins.

I told him to let anybody pass him that was driving fast and not holding a smooth line. And don't worry about it, you'll pass them while they are getting marshalled and won't be caught up in the wreck.

I got him to start thinking about smooth wreck free driving by offering him $1 for every run he could make without breaking or getting marshalled too much. It has saved me lots of money on parts!

However, as the Plex field gets faster that strategy may not continue to hold.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:13 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

This being my first season of racing, I couldn't agree with Jason more...Just stay out of the carnage on the first lap by making an intentional "slow start," go to the back of the pack and pick your way through the pile. Then, drive slower and avoid the marshal and you'll eventually see your lap times drop to the point you're on the podium.

I'm not an expert by any stretch but I've gotten better every week with that strategy and even won the b main last tuesday night.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:26 AM
Tech Adept

When I won the b by lapping the entire field I singled everything by creeping over all of the jumps and passing on corners and straights. Everyone was nice and spread out on that one. The last try at the a I was going to try the same thing but didn't make the start line. I am going to practice at consistently getting fast 8's or 9's instead of wrecking. Thanks for the advice :-). On a positive note I have everything to get a spec sct going as soon as I'm ready to move up.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:17 PM
Tech Adept

If you have a Pro-lite SCT truck ready, then I would suggest that you move into the class. The driving is typically cleaner than in the Plex class, so you have a better chance of driving consistently and not worry about the kid next to you taking you out of the race.

The motor limit for Plex is approximately a 13.5 while the limit for Pro-lite is 17.5, so the Pro-lite trucks have a slower top speed.
Old 01-28-2012, 01:41 PM
Tech Adept

Raced my slash for the first time last night. I don't know why I have been messing with the rustler so long. I damaged my servo wire keeping me out of the main last night, but in the 1 race I have run with the slash it is either hands down better or just suits my driving style better. I was never able to get my rustler to run well on the current track. On the last track there was enough long straight sections to make up for its inability to turn well. It has been plagued by understeer ever since I got it to hook up for the first time. I got a good start in getting my slash going last night and hopefully it will be ready to race tuesday or Friday if work and life allow.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:17 PM
Tech Adept

Had a blast tonight, thanks everyone. Awesome for doing bump-ups. 2nd in plexspec B(sand bagging to 5th in A. I think I had a little more in me but plexspec is always interesting. Had been several weeks of not racing due to work, but plex had some great competition tonight.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:45 AM
Tech Rookie

New tires made a HUGE difference. It was almost like I wasnt driving on ice this week. Until my rear shock cap popped off and I broke twice... Still had a lot of fun racing. When are the track transponders back? I'd like to see a lap time
I'm looking at setting up a Rustler for my son to try racing. What tires did you end up with? Thanks.

Last edited by fxdwg_94; 07-23-2012 at 04:42 PM.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:38 PM
Tech Adept

Goosebumps