Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Nebraska/Iowa Racing
Tamiya F103 (F1 racing Nebraska) >

Tamiya F103 (F1 racing Nebraska)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tamiya F103 (F1 racing Nebraska)

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 09:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default Tamiya F103 (F1 racing Nebraska)

Got a F103? Plan on getting one for the TCS race? Maybe we can get some experience from outside the Omaha area to help with some setups or what parts are good upgrades or how to convert old ones or whatever. Maybe a good class to run outside in Lincoln after the TCS?
Old 02-09-2009, 09:19 AM
Tech Master

First thoughts... F103R is the coolest way to go but will cost you more obviously. I got the F103RM and am upgrading a little as I go. One thing I would think that immediately needs to go is the center shock.. if you can really call it that. Don't think you'd need more that just a simple oil filled one but that thing with the kit is junk. I've replaced mine. Servo saver is junk also. Tires on the RM need to be mounted. The rear tires are skinnier and taller than the 103R's premounted ones. Doesn't appear to be much of a difference in performance yet based on the tires so far other than mine has a bigger rollout than Z's R.

One other thing on the RM is it comes with an O-Ring and ball setup. The instructions show the ball setup. I originally put that on but if you plan to run lipos the only ones that fit are the Orions with the curved cases (2400, 3200, 3600). I had to use the o-ring setup for my IP3800 to fit. Reading the F103's the o-ring works as well as the ball but is easier to setup. That's how I've interpreted it anyway.

One thing I was worried about was chunking the tires being open wheel. I've hit some stuff and they are tough. No chunks only a couple scuffs on the rims. Car seems to be pretty tough also.

As far as performance Z's R and my RM are pretty close. Mine pushes off power and wanders a little more than Z's R. I'll see if I can get rid of the push and I think a different servo saver should fix most of the wandering. Mine is a little faster on the straight but that's just gearing and rollout due to the difference in tire size.

Bottom line is they look cool, are pretty quick for just a silver can, easy to build, have limited adjustments yet work surprisingly well. Any questions post em up.
Old 02-09-2009, 07:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

If i do run tcs it will be this class because of the class...
probably wont run it period though.
they definately look cool
Old 02-09-2009, 07:09 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)

This is one of the classes myself along with a couple other KC racers will be running at TCS. We have been working hard on getting the cars just right. They are awesome little devils!
Old 02-10-2009, 07:56 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by MrLesac
If i do run tcs it will be this class because of the class...
probably wont run it period though.
they definately look cool
ditto.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:43 AM
Tech Master

Don't get a lot of time to mess with it but the little I've done the car just keeps getting better and better.... with the exception of Wednesday. The car comes built with positive camber in the front. It was working good but for the most part it on ran on the outer 1/4 of the front tires. I was worried about uneven wear on the tires and don't want to mess with truing them. So I tried the front end shim mod to get the camber situation fixed. Well it worked but now I have too much front end bite. I've been doing everything I could to get more front bite now get to go the other direction. They are a bit of a handful at first if you are not used to a twitchy pan car but it doesn't take long to figure it out. I ran some laps at the HCOC for practice and my fast laps would have put me about 5th fastest in the 17.5 rubber class. For silver can motors these are pretty quick!

One note ... these cars are tough! Not a single break yet and believe me I've hit stuff and tumbled down half the straight and no breaks. I was practicing and traction rolled onto the straight last sunday after the racing. Jason was coming down the straight with his mini and blasted me (nowhere for him to go). It broke my hardcase lipo, but nothing broke on the car. The driver even kept his head on! Also I'm super impressed with the tires. One rim has gotten a little wobbly in the back but with no protection for the tires... not a single chunk! A couple scuffs and that is it. I'd love to find a brushless equivalent for these things. Wonder how a single cell lipo would work with a 17.5 or 13.5? That might be worth trying! If you could make a single cell work indoors maybe you could just switch to a 2 cell and run on the Lincoln track.

Sometimes I can't wait for the racing to get over so I can run this thing around. I just try to make it better... don't have to worry about keeping up with anyone.. just play around and have fun! If nothing else they look cool!!
Old 02-27-2009, 09:48 AM
Tech Master

double post.....

Last edited by padailey; 01-27-2010 at 11:30 PM.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:20 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by padailey
Don't get a lot of time to mess with it but the little I've done the car just keeps getting better and better.... with the exception of Wednesday. The car comes built with positive camber in the front. It was working good but for the most part it on ran on the outer 1/4 of the front tires. I was worried about uneven wear on the tires and don't want to mess with truing them. So I tried the front end shim mod to get the camber situation fixed. Well it worked but now I have too much front end bite. I've been doing everything I could to get more front bite now get to go the other direction. They are a bit of a handful at first if you are not used to a twitchy pan car but it doesn't take long to figure it out. I ran some laps at the HCOC for practice and my fast laps would have put me about 5th fastest in the 17.5 rubber class. For silver can motors these are pretty quick!
3 racing makes a adjustable camber kit, but TCS races wont accept them (atleast i dont think)

and i personally run a brushless in mine. i run a speed passion 3300(the F1 is 3100, and speedpassion is sold locally. -they were out of the 3100) this only issue i have is the esc with the fan is tall. very tall. so tall i had to "mod" the upper deck. (i will post pix when i get home) no track times yet, but power is a big concern. not to the point where there is too little, but to the point that it is too much torque. i have to dial my epa to 70%, plus have a d/r of about 3.7 or so.

Last edited by silverhkswrx; 03-05-2009 at 11:12 AM.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:35 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by silverhkswrx
3 racing makes a adjustable camber kit, but TCS races wont accept them (atleast i dont think)

and i personally run a brushless in mine. i run a speed passion 3300(the F1 is 3100, and speedpassion is sold locally. -they were out of the 3100) this only issue i have is the esc with the fan is tall. very tall. so tall i had to "mod" the upper deck. (i will post pix when i get home) no track times yet, but power is a big concern. not to the point where there is too little, but to the point that it is too much torque. i have to dial my epa to 70%, plus have a d/r of about 3.7 or so.

Thanks for the reply. No class started up here yet but possibly soon. Some guys with old cars ready to go but no tires. Looks like the tires will be here soon so we'll see then. I'm sure we'll stick pretty close to TCS rules at least for awhile because of our TCS race in May. After that if the class sticks we can look into deviating from those rules a little. The way classes have been going here the last year or so I doubt we'll deviate too far but you never know.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:03 AM
Tech Master

Dang an F104 and now this.... http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...is-new-f1.html

This has got to stop!!
Old 04-17-2009, 09:10 AM
Tech Master

Dang my car just sucked on Wednesday. It just hasn't been the same since I took it to The Track. I just quit racing cause I couldn't drive it at all... it was terribly inconsistent. It was just a matter of time before parts were scattered on the track. Well anyhow Tim found some loose screws on the car (not in my head) so I hope that was the issue. Marks car looks good... ok maybe without the wing it doesn't look great but it works. Bob's seems good and looks nice with the new body.... he and Mark seem pretty close. I thought Kenny's looked real good at times... seems like he'll be right on pace real soon. Now if I can just get mine back into contention. They sure look cool cuttin' laps!!!

TCS in one month... come on out and play with us!!
Old 01-27-2010, 02:42 PM
Tech Elite

Anyone getting ready for TCS??

Tim Ski
Old 01-29-2010, 10:32 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Is this class something that is going to stick around at the Plex after the TCS? I have always liked the F1 cars and would try to pick one up by TCS if this was a class that would continue to race locally after the TCS....would really like this class to stick, just can't justify a new kit for a one time race. Any thoughts or plans on this class, Tim?
Old 01-29-2010, 02:55 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by frankthetank
Is this class something that is going to stick around at the Plex after the TCS? I have always liked the F1 cars and would try to pick one up by TCS if this was a class that would continue to race locally after the TCS....would really like this class to stick, just can't justify a new kit for a one time race. Any thoughts or plans on this class, Tim?
I think it could stick and would be kinda fun if it did. The problem before was there were only 4 running them. If there are only 4 cars everyone has to be there all the time to attract more or it just hibernates. Mark took the summer off and mine was broke so only Bob and Kenny ran for a couple weeks. Then I got mine running and someone else wasn't there. You can't keep it going that way. I'd like to see it stick around since it looks like we could be getting consistent TCS races. Now there are rubber and foam classes so that could also cause a problem. They are pretty fun though.
Old 02-02-2010, 05:52 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

From talking to some other guys at the track, it seems that many have the same thoughts as me. They would get one if the class would get to be ran regularly....but then the question is rubber or foam....Paul says the foams are sturdy and they come with most of the kits....so I don't see why we couldn't maybe try to run a Foam F1..guess we'll just have to make sure enough get 'em and show up consistently.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.