Wiki Posts
Search

*Winter racing? Looking for input!*

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 08:45 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default *Winter racing? Looking for input!*

Hey guys (and gals) we are condidering opening a carpet track in or near Jonesboro for some winter racing and need some input from the Memphis crew as to what kind of participation we might expect from you guys. The schedule would likely begin in early to mid October, and run through late February to mid March. If we do this, the tenative plan is to probably try to race twice a month, one race being on a Saturday night, and the other on Sunday afternoon. This way, hopefully everyone's schedule will allow them to make at least one race a month, hopefully both races. This could be subject to change depending on interest/participation. So, the big question is, how many of you would be interested enough to attend most (or all) the races, how many might come to some of them, and how many would not/could not come at all. Please be honest on this so we know which direction to go.The track size would likely be in the range of 40'x70' in size. This is about the size of the track up at Carbondale,Il where we have ran quite a bit and that size seems to work really well. Any input is greatly appreciated. Also, obviously we would schedule around any Memphis races that may be going on at the end of this year/beginning of next year (Fall Bwawl,etc...)

Thanks,

Zach

Last edited by Zdiddy; 08-18-2010 at 05:55 PM.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:54 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Hi Zach,

You could count on me and Charlie, VTA and F104 classes. Most likely 2 a month unless you hold the race on the 4th weekend, I'm out for every one of those.

Paul.
Old 08-18-2010, 06:44 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

i would be in on it and would it be like every other weekend or two weekends back to back
Old 08-18-2010, 07:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

It would be every other weekend. Like maybe the 1st and 3rd weekends of the month or whatever. On the Saturday night races, I'm thinking we would probably open the track for practice around 3pm and start racing around 6pm. For the Sunday races, I'm thinking open the track around 11am-12pm and start racing either at 1pm or 2pm What do ya'll think?
Old 08-19-2010, 03:13 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Hi Zach,

I would be all over the Sunday racing on the 1st and 3rd weekend. Not saying I wouldn't try a Saturday race now and again but my preference is for Sunday. How far is Jonesboro from Memphis, I know it's not that far but I'm curious.

Paul.
Old 08-19-2010, 06:48 AM
Tech Fanatic

Paul, it takes a little over an hour to get from the bridge to Jonesboro depending on traffic and how you drive. Obviously depending on where the track ends up being (we don't have a building location set in stone yet) that time could vary by 10 minutes or so just depending on what side of town it is on. I just hate to race every other Sunday because I don't want people (myself included) to have to decide between racing and church every other weekend. That's why we were thinking of alternating between Saturday and Sunday so that everyone can hopefully make at least one a month if nothing else. Saturday simply won't work for some, and Sunday simply won't work for others. There will inevitably be schedule conflicts no matter what. But, as I said, there can be room for alterations depending on participation.

Zach
Old 08-19-2010, 09:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by forrestboy
i would be in on it and would it be like every other weekend or two weekends back to back
You have yet to place a car on a track u turd licker!!! LOL

Zach I'm definitely in for some carpet racing. 40x70 is a hair short but if u can't find room for the extra 10 feet then it's still a lot better than the one we have now...lol.

The Ozite comes in 12' rolls. 80x36 seems to be very popular. What's your thoughts on traction compound, spec tires etc? Jackson, MS has open tire rules and Nashville has been using Jaco blues as spec tire in the past. Not sure if that may change tho... I've heard the Solaris are decent on carpet and last a long time. Just givin input- doesn't matter to me.

Traction compound- black paragon is by far the best on carpet, but with a lot of attendance it can be overwhelming. Doesn't bother me, but that's your call. If you decide against using black, at least make it generalized odorless and give a list of allowed compounds. Like Jack, Sticky Fingers, FX2, Traction Action etc etc.

LMK if I can help with anything
Old 08-19-2010, 09:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Zach just a suggestion- change the name of this thread to Winter CARPET racing?
Old 08-20-2010, 10:27 AM
Tech Adept

While an 80 x 40 track would be our preference the building we are currently looking at is more suited to a 70x36. Again, this is still in the planning stages and without support it's not going to happen. I know several of the MSRA crew came to Smokin Joes a few times to race and a few made it over on a fairly regular basis. Our hope is to generate some new local racers but at this point the on-road and off-road racing in NEA is dead.
To be quite honest we aren't looking for the track to be profitable but we can't fund the entire venture out of our pockets either. That is the reason for asking for some type of feedback from both MSRA and Local Racers alike.
We hope we can make this work and have a place for everyone to enjoy this winter and for many more to come.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:43 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Hey Jason just because I don't race with the MSRA dosent mean I won't race somewhere else that is what I am looking for
Old 08-20-2010, 02:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Im in 100% in even though I have never raced carpet and have no idea what im getting into but its racing so count me in!
Old 08-20-2010, 03:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

This is the time I take a break..... Hunting is my other hobby and I enjoy it as well.It starts oct. And I will be there. Not saying I want show up and race...( Im Just saying....)
Old 08-20-2010, 07:11 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by TEAM ONEWAY
This is the time I take a break..... Hunting is my other hobby and I enjoy it as well.It starts oct. And I will be there. Not saying I want show up and race...( Im Just saying....)
I'm with ya on the hunting Steve. I've slacked off hunting the past couple of years but I plan to hit it hard again this year. Trying to get up and put my food plots in the next week or two. Still good to get some track time in as well though.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:15 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

If im not working, I'll be racing.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:56 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Originally Posted by forrestboy
Hey Jason just because I don't race with the MSRA dosent mean I won't race somewhere else that is what I am looking for
Originally Posted by BigDogRacing
You have yet to place a car on a track u turd licker!!! LOL
Jason he did order some tires for the Fall Brawl so it will at least have tires on it when he gives it to Ricky!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.