R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   MSRA (Memphis, TN) (https://www.rctech.net/forum/msra-memphis-tn-35/)
-   -   F-1 Class (https://www.rctech.net/forum/msra-memphis-tn/405847-f-1-class.html)

Tim B 06-06-2010 07:29 PM

F-1 Class

There are a few of us that are interested in running the F-1 Cars at our regular club races.

So who is interested and is will to commit to buying one if there are enough interested?

Here is a link to the F-104 pro kit. And another.

Here are the current Tamiya F-1 rubber rules. It sounded like everyone wanted to run rubber.

I am not saying this would be the rules. only a starting point for discussion.

F-1 RUBBER TIRES

1. F104 chassis cars only.
2. Tamiya F104 Hop-Ups only.
3. No chassis lightening allowed.
4. 4. The Tamiya 540-J motor (53689) is the motor that must be used for the 2010 season.
5. Tamiya F104 rubber tire and rims only.
6. Any tire insert is permitted.
7. Drilling extra vent holes to the wheels is illegal.
8. Tamiya F104 bodies only. Mixing of Tamiya bodies and Tamiya wings is NOT allowed.
9. Any pinion and spur gear ratio combo may be used.
10. Driver figure must be used.
11. Hard cased LIPO batteries and NiMh batteries are legal for F1 class racing. See general rules for legal TCS batteries.
12. The F104 chassis must be built per the instruction manual. Altering its basic structure and design is prohibited.

BTW I did a little searching and here are some actual prices.

Regular kit

LW kit

I am not exactly sure why the LW kit is cheaper.

Infernal Stone 06-06-2010 08:33 PM

Beat me to it. But to sum up a few questions before they happen, that I had discussed.

Why Tamiya?
- Legal for TCS, which is a bonus for some of us
- Apparently some of the other cars out there are leaps and bounds above the Tamiya cars. Which is good for them, but for others who may have one on the shelf, it'd be a bit a of deterrent if you know you're taking your F1 car up against what is essentially a pan car with a pan.

Why not red dot motors?
Stock cans are cheaper and if you watched Mr. Jolley this weekend, as far as speed he wasn't much slower than the red dots. The red dots, I understand, are designed for less punch anyways because it's such a lightweight 2wd, they're quick to become undriveable. The only suggestion I'd offer for discussion would be either using the silver cans or using like.. 27 turn rebuildable brushed motors, if for no other reason than you can chunk the bushings for bearings and turn the comm, and pretty much any esc of any level available now can run a machine wound 27 turn, and they're probably not a lot more expensive than silver cans. But I still wouldn't be butthurt about just the silver cans.

Why not foams?
Well, the foams did seem to perform a little better, but the foams for the F1 cars are huge. And big targets. And after watching JJ do what... half a lap? and tearing a huge chunk out of one, I'm not super excited about them. And I think all of us who were interested, I'd wager that most of us don't have a tire truer and aren't interested in that kind of investment.

Csaari77 06-06-2010 09:34 PM

Red dots aren't nessesary in the F1 cars. I didn't run one this weekend, and my car was a bullit! Run a rollout of 50-54mm and hang on! My car was the grey and green one in the foam class.

Three 06-07-2010 02:48 AM

After runnning F1 this weekend here is some more input on the class.

1. Foam tires are expensive, fragile and not for those that make frequent contact with surfaces other than the asphalt. Rubber tires +1.

2. The stock motor is plenty for most of us. Tried an "older" prepared motor in the second qualifier and it got REAL light on the back straight. Much easier to drive the stock 540J. (Learned that Diff settings are VERY important.)

3. It was fun and the cars looked good on the track (except for the one with a purple haired driver :lol:)

Three 06-07-2010 02:55 AM

Would like to see:
1. Tamiya F1 ONLY. There are others out there, but.............
2. Rubber tires. :nod:
3. Stock 540J silver can motors.

Just my 2 cents.

TEAM ONEWAY 06-10-2010 10:17 AM

Ive got my f104pro on the way:eek::nod:

Core Creations 06-10-2010 10:59 AM

My f104 rubber is for sale with a bunch of spare tires and wheels...PM me if interested. Rtr except reciever just as it was when it won last Sunday!

Azadrael 06-10-2010 06:17 PM

I think this is a great idea. I would definitely order one if we got a class going. As far as tires go, I would definitely vote for rubber. Foams may handle better but one wreck and 80% of the time your tires are done. That and real F1 cars run rubber anyways...lol

raymond3457 06-11-2010 12:53 PM

I will order one and race in the class.

I am also for the Tamiya rules. Rubber class. (seemed to be a fun class) And I know I would have aleast one TCS legal car next year!!!! LOL :lol:

Infernal Stone 06-11-2010 12:58 PM

Well, it sounds like enough people are commited, I'm going to go ahead and get mine ordered, then.

Infernal Stone 06-11-2010 01:14 PM

Just a heads up. As far as I can tell, the F104 kits do NOT have rubber tires, they come with foams. So for rubber tires, you'll need:

http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=51398 Wheel set

http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=54199 Rear Soft
http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=54198 Front Hard

As far as I can tell, these are the only options for rubber tires from tamiya.

Core Creations 06-11-2010 01:20 PM

The F60 version f104 comes with rubber tires. Its not hopped up like the f104 pro, but the f60 body is the better body for rubber tire f1. Also the tires that come with the f60 are good. All you'll need is the rear softs and kit fronts. But save yourself $350 and buy my race winning f60 for $240 with esc and servo! !

F60 kit-179
Hop ups 140
Extra wheels and tires 100+
Qc2 comp esc 100
Futaba servo 60

hairy 06-11-2010 01:33 PM

that wheel set shows to be temp unavailable.:cry:

Core Creations 06-11-2010 01:46 PM

Just out of stock at Tamiya USA....distributors and shops will have them in stock.

Originally Posted by hairy (Post 7529503)
that wheel set shows to be temp unavailable.:cry:

Three 06-12-2010 05:25 AM

So when do we start?