R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Monster Trucks (https://www.rctech.net/forum/monster-trucks-46/)
-   -   Losi LST 3XL-E (https://www.rctech.net/forum/monster-trucks/997885-losi-lst-3xl-e.html)

Tzicul 09-14-2017 02:30 PM

Losi LST 3XL-E

A brand new monster truck from Losi
Losi: LST 3XL-E: 1/8th 4wd Monster Truck RTR: Losi (LOS04015)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ubt1xnc5Cew

I wonder if this means the end of the LST XXL. It seems the new MT is almost the exact size as XXL, 6S capable on a more or less new chassis. The main difference: central differential

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rct...a51e933237.jpg

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rct...4f6903ca3e.jpg

werner sline 09-14-2017 03:34 PM

i'm not sure if i like the design of the body... but i like the fact that it is actually a big buggy ! low cg must drive very good !

did anybody see the size of the tires ?

FunnieKid 09-14-2017 03:58 PM

The body looks like a beach buggy and is in deed not so charming. But that can be changed.

robert@castle 09-14-2017 04:05 PM

I'm rather confused by this truck. The chassis is a strange setup. Why is there a hole in the middle? Why does alternate between plastic and aluminum? Why does the servo horn extended down from the bump in the chassis without a rock guard on it? Why isn't the chassis flat?

One thing to note, you can not change out the motor to another brand. The motor mount is integrated into the can on the motor in a non-standard way.

Overdriven 09-14-2017 05:07 PM

When the XXL2e came out I was disappointed that the chassis wasn't a dedicated electric chassis like this. My suggestion was something similar to the MGT to Rival conversion AE did and Losi has finally done it. They've also made some improvements and after going over the parts listing I'm going to list some differences between the 3XLe and the XXL2e and other LST's.

Obviously the chassis is different and is comprised of a main plastic chassis (think of this piece as the plastic side rails on the older LST's) with a bunch of aluminum plates that attach to the same bulkheads as before. Yeah there is a hole right by the servo horn but if you look at the angle of the chassis it would be pretty hard for the servo horn to get hit. As Ronert@Castle noted rocks getting in between the servo horn and the edges of hole might be concern. The chassis is also .6 inches (15mm) longer making this the longest LST yet.

The only thing preventing you from bolting on older front and rear assemblies to the 3XLe chassis is the plastic upper chassis braces. http://www.losi.com/Products/Feature...odId=LOS241017
All other parts of the front and rear assemblies are the same.

The other big new part is the Center Diff with a 54t spur. There is an intermediate gear between the motor and the center diff to add reduction ratio in order to keep the same 3.31:1 ratio front and rear diffs. Without the intermediate gear the pinion would have to be really small, the spur ferris wheel size or a much lower kv motor.

Other not so obvious changes are the new Shocks that have 5mm instead of 4mm shafts. Aluminum shock caps will be available for them, I wonder if they'll fit the old shocks? Thank you Losi for ditching the red anodizing.

Another not so obvious change is the steering bellcrank is now 1/8 buggy/truggy style with integrated servo saver! Hallelujah!! The included waterproof 1/6 servo is standard "large scale" size and delivers 490oz with .216 speed @ 6v. That sounds slow, and it is, but it's of that slow for such a big, tough servo.

Another not so obvious one is the flip top body mount. This is available separately and should fit all LST's if you're interested in removing a few less body clips for battery changes. Replaces the rear body posts attaching there and also at a point near the base of the shock tower for some triangulation. Might not work with something like a Beetle body without some cutting for clearance at the back.

And they finally ditched the 20mm wheel hex for 17mm wheel hex. Hallelujah again!

Anyone notice the battery connector on the esc side attached to the chassis? Yeah you're going to have to use their EC5 connectors, which are pretty good connectors imo, but I kind of like this feature.

Robert@Castle noted that the motor has the mount built into it and that kind of sucks. Losi does have a motor mount for those who want to run a different motor but it's going to be limited to 40mm or 42mm diameter motors, see link below. Why Losi likes motor mounts like this is beyond me, hopefully the aftermarket will come up with something more like a traditional 1/8 buggy/truggy mount that can do larger diameter motors.
Losi: Heat Sink Motor Mount, LST 3XL-E: Losi (LOS242021)

robert@castle 09-14-2017 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Overdriven (Post 15029707)
Obviously the chassis is different and is comprised of a main plastic chassis with a bunch of aluminum plates that attaches to the same bulkheads as before. Yeah there is a hole right by the servo horn but if you look at the angle of the chassis it would be pretty hard for the servo horn to get hit.

My concern isn't so much impact as a rock bouncing up in there and getting wedged in the opening while turning.

Another not so obvious change is the steering bellcrank is now 1/8 buggy/truggy style with integrated servo saver! Hallelujah!! 1/6 size servo sounds good, haven't noticed the specs for it yet though.
Is there many servos on the market in this size? Is it the same size as 1/5th scales use?

Robert@Castle noted that the motor has the mount built into it and that kind of sucks. Losi does have a motor mount for those who want to run a different motor but it's going to be limited to 40mm or 42mm diameter motors, see link below. Why Losi likes motor mounts like this is beyond me, hopefully the aftermarket will come up with something more like a traditional 1/8 buggy/truggy mount that can do larger diameter motors.
Losi: Heat Sink Motor Mount, LST 3XL-E: Losi (LOS242021)
Good find on that. I had looked through the part pages really quick and didn't notice that. I'm kinda tempted to get it and engineer a mount for it that will hold a 2028 like the kershaw kit for the x-maxx. Maybe he'll make a kit for this truck as well.

Billy Kelly 09-14-2017 05:31 PM

Wonder when a thread for this was going to show up. I'll wait till it's released before having any really opinions on it.

Gotta say that I'm kinda disappointed in Losi marketing of it. What was the " best of both worlds " thing? And as for having Trek bikes in video, well, guess it was window dressing.

TIME MACHINE 09-14-2017 05:41 PM

Yeah, the whole Trek thing made absolutely no sense, unless I'm missing something.

Overdriven 09-14-2017 05:49 PM

@ Robert@Castle

I hear you about rocks getting in there. If the chassis was flat (or flatter) then there wouldn't be a hole at all. I guess they were trying to maximize ground clearance and there may be driveline angle reasons for it, hard to tell from pics. I'm guessing there needs to be some clearance made for the servo horn and it's cheaper to just punch a hole than mill out a pocket.

I looked up the servo, it standard large scale size. 490oz with .216 @ 6v and also used in the Losi 1/6 Audi and a boat.

I went through the Parts Listing a few times and edited my post after going through it again. I'm sure I still missed something, like the fact this truck is 1/2 longer. Time to edit my previous post again!

The motor mount will help out those who already have a motor and are looking to convert their older trucks to this chassis. Would e been nice if this was the standard mount though, penny pinching rears its ugly head and screws the consumer again. Kind of sucks they put everything so far forward as it doesn't look like there's much room to go with longer motors. If I were an aftermarket company I'd make a mount that rotated the center diff 180 degrees and kept the intermediate gear, that would give some extra room without touching the center shafts. But it would have to be machined and Kershaw doesn't do machined parts, all his stuff is waterjet cut and bolted together. At least all his older stuff was, no idea about newer stuff like XMaxx mounts.

werner sline 09-14-2017 08:14 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/i_z2FTg1M70" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

i wish it was at least 720p50 ...

gimme that thing and i will do a bit more than just a backflip !

V0RT3X 09-15-2017 03:57 AM

So it's a BL Muggy with a weird body. :lol:

Tzicul 09-15-2017 03:58 AM

It seems the servo is just a little smaller than a standard 1/5 scale.

S904 1/6 SCALE WP DIGITAL SERVO
Torque:490 oz/in
Speed:0.216 sec @ 6v
Length:2.33 in (59.1mm) standard 1/5 is around 65-67mm
Width:1.14 in (29mm) 30mm
Height:2.16 inch (54.9mm) 55-60mm

So I would say the only problem might be the length, however you can find 1/5 servos close enough to Losi's 1/6 servo. It depends if there is some extra room around the servo

billyg900 09-15-2017 06:03 PM

There is an intermediate gear between the motor and the center diff to add reduction ratio in order to keep the same 3.31:1 ratio front and rear diffs. Without the intermediate gear the pinion would have to be really small, the spur ferris wheel size or a much lower kv motor.
[/url]

this is why I think its a mistake to put center diff in a converted lst or xxl

glad they added the intermediate gear, I need this truck!

Dave_S 09-15-2017 07:22 PM

The other big new part is the Center Diff with a 54t spur that is apparantly attached to a LSD diff. I'm thinking it's probably a derivative of their SMART Diff, which would mean it can be converted to a standard diff (just need LST diff cup and spider gears) if desired.

What makes you think this is a derivative of a smart diff. From video sounds just like any standard "limited slip" silicone filled differential.

Overdriven 09-15-2017 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Dave_S (Post 15030585)
What makes you think this is a derivative of a smart diff. From video sounds just like any standard "limited slip" silicone filled differential.

I had not watched the video before my post and the parts listing shows a "LSD rebuilt kit" and it being specific to the 3XLe. All the other diff parts are listed, spider gears, gasket and seal kit, etc and all show compatibility for all LST's.

I assumed this meant something other than a normal center diff and SMART diffs seemed logical. I just reviewed the exploded views and it shows a regular center diff. Is the exploded view wrong? What's the LSD rebuild kit for? No pic or description so now way to tell yet. But I guess I shouldn't have assumed SMART diff.