Like Tree34Likes

Losi LST 3XL-E

Old 09-28-2017, 08:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

@Herrsavage I didn't mention performance when I said "true MT" for a reason. I agree bashing doesn't have rules and I'm fine with Arrma calling the Kraton a MT, IMO it's a type of MT. IMO "true MT" isn't just about ground clearance either, it's about the body being higher compared to the tires and other stuff that makes it look like a 1:1 MT from the early 2000's. Modern 1:1 MT's do have the body a lot lower but still nowhere near as low as a truggy. Sometimes it's just about the look, at least for me anyway.
Old 09-28-2017, 01:19 PM
Tech Regular

It is all about the looks yes, but a buggy and truggy in stock form has distinctive features such as lower ground clearance, big wing shorter body posts, smaller and narrower tires, and shorter suspension travel. Now if you change these features on a truggy or buggy to resemble a stock "MT", you in deed change the apperance of it and characteristics.

The 3xxl is per definition a "muggy" i.e. it has characteristics from an MT such as ground clearance, suspension travel and fat wheels, and characteristics from a truggy such as center diff and possibly something else which I don't know about for the moment.

My custom e-maxx is per definition a muggy because it uses a center diff from a truggy, low CG chassis, and buggy diffs, but it also has characteristics of a stock MT such as big wheels, pickup body, "no-wing" and higher ground clerance. For me it is still an MT because if you would see it from a distance it doesn't deviate too much from what most people think a stock monster truck RC looks like.

The kraton how ever looks ugly regardles if it is an MT or muggy or truggy. The stock e-maxx for example look alot more dope because it looks like a truck with zero emphasis on competitive driving (bashing). The e-revo is ugly as well, the body looks like a camaro and the wing just look stupid as well as the small wheels. The summit how ever looks like an MT.
Old 09-28-2017, 08:43 PM
Tech Elite

Started a thread to discuss what defines a "true MT" blah blah blah to keep this thread more 3XLe related.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/monster-...ions-here.html
Billy Kelly and Boost13az like this.
Old 10-03-2017, 03:20 PM
Tech Rookie

What woiksnit take to convert froma 2xxl e without an exact match up. I am thinking obviously the big parts would be Servo and drive train. Would the arms and the schools and most of the other parts transfer over. Thanks Souf.
Old 10-03-2017, 04:22 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I just see a lot of scorching gernaded motors on this truck. Everybody is gonna run this this on 6s and find out that little ripper motor is too small and then they are going to get all pissy to find out they are only stuck with that motor.
Old 10-03-2017, 04:25 PM
Tech Regular

Hopefully there will be custom motor mounts, and it should. A 2200kv is not strong enough for a 1/7 scale truck.
Old 10-03-2017, 04:32 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Don’t think that would help unless everything is flipped cause longer motors would require cutting if the motor doesn’t hit the shock towers or control arms first but I could be wrong
Old 10-04-2017, 09:54 AM
Tech Elite

Losi already lists an optional motor mount for the 3XLe. It doesn't give any details for the motors it'll accept but I'd assume 40mm diameter, possibly 42mm diameter. I'd also assume the stock motor is 74mm long and there isn't much more room to go longer before the motor would hit the side of the chassis or steering post.

Now if they would've turned the center diff 180 degrees that would move the intermediate gear to the rear giving a bit more room for longer motors. As it sits though I kind of doubt a 92mm long motor would fit.
Old 10-04-2017, 09:59 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Learo2000GT View Post
What woiksnit take to convert froma 2xxl e without an exact match up. I am thinking obviously the big parts would be Servo and drive train. Would the arms and the schools and most of the other parts transfer over. Thanks Souf.
The only 3XLe exclusive parts are the center chassis, everything on it and the upper chassis plates. The upper chassis plates are the pieces under the shock towers. So you basically just unbolt your front and rear from your chassis, change the upper chassis plates and bolt yoir front and rear to the 3XLe chassis. An easy way to see the differences is to open up one window with the 3XLe exploded view and another right next to it with your model of LST.

The servo is a standard "large scale servo", it's not a unique servo like Traxxas did with the XMaxx.
Old 10-04-2017, 10:50 AM
Tech Regular

There is no point in buying the 3xl if you want to mod it according to myself. Losi are delusional, just like all other manufacturers if they think a 2200kv motor is sufficient for such a large and heavy truck. A 74mm, 40mm motor lacks the torque to accelerate quick in terrain to do jumps and other tricks.

Not all 2200kv motors are equal (castle 2200kv sensored is superior all others to beginn with) and nobody says a 2200kv is sufficient for 1/8 scale trucks either. It has been an industry standard for rtr trucks and the only manufacturer that thinks out side the the box is arrma, and they use a 2000kv motor and a 150A ESC. All other ride the traxxas bandwagon (2200kv motor and 120A ESC) including HPI.

I don't know why losi made this special engine mount and limited the can to 74mm, maybe because they don't want to warrant parts due to overpowering the truck. Who knows.
Old 10-04-2017, 11:32 AM
Tech Elite

Don't get fixated on kv, it's hardly the only factor. Manufacturers like 2000-2200kv because it works pretty well with differential ratios and spur gear sizes that have been used forever because the rpm range matches fairly well to nitro. So it's easy to integrate 2000-2200kv motors into vehicles and run 4s to 6s without having to redesign vehicle parts, then retool to make those new parts, etc. Plus most will at least start out on 4s and when they break (or overheat, fry, etc) something on 6s most people they consult in the rc community will say 6s is nutty power, not surprised you broke.

But kv isn't the only factor for power and whether it's suitable for a vehicle. Motor size, efficiency and voltage all play a role. And for a manufacturer add in how they think you'll use it and what is acceptable to them for motor temps under those scenarios. Just look at the 6s XMaxx, we know it's slow and runs hot, but Traxxas obviously thought it was fine for what they consider the average user. Anyone Traxxas doesn't consider average needs to look to the aftermarket. The 3XLe is no different.
Chris Furman and Eryx like this.
Old 10-05-2017, 06:37 PM
Tech Rookie

Wow, I like it! I wonder if the body is a direct fit for XXL2e? Hmm, with regards to the marketing says 50+mph, whereas the XXL2E is 60+mph, wonder how performance stacks up head to head on 6S..
Old 10-06-2017, 06:54 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Just a personal opinion, but the chassis design is hideous looking, like the rest of the truck. I know quality and performance are probably pretty good, but I have always avoided Losi monster trucks because of the looks of their chassis layouts/material used, and the looks of the wheels/tires/bodies...Just not appealing to me at all, ever
cmbscx10 likes this.
Old 10-22-2017, 11:02 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Release Date Confirmed?

Has anyone confirmed the release date? 10/31?

Who here has one on order? I picked up my DBXL-E last week and was about to pull the trigger on an Outcast over the Kraton but now looking at the 3X to stay in the family as I love the quality/drive characteristics of my DBXL-E.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:41 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Originally Posted by terrainx View Post
Has anyone confirmed the release date? 10/31?
It's technically released already, just not in stock anywhere. Both Horizon and AMain are showing early Nov for their shipments.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.