Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
Converting a lst. Cd style or transmission >

Converting a lst. Cd style or transmission

Converting a lst. Cd style or transmission

Old 09-27-2017, 03:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Let us know how the battery position experiment goes. I had an ERevo with a Castle 1520 in the front position on the dual motor mount so I know what it's like to have a whole bunch of weight up front! Yeah I was too cheap to buy and too lazy to make a mount for the rear position. Anyway, that big motor up front made it have great on throttle steeering but if you were turning and let off the throttle more weight transferred to the front and you suddenly got a lot more steering! Lol.

Great. Now I want to do a center diff in my XXL again. Still for the same reason as before, mostly to get the motor down lower and hopefully drop some weight. The 54t spur from the 3XLe would allow me to get the gearing right (and use other diff parts I already have) on my 1717 without the Muggy diff gears I sold off. And it would be easier than trying to get the 1717 on the 3XLe chassis. Looks like I have a winter project either way!
Old 09-27-2017, 06:53 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

lol I hear ya and I just bought a box of lst parts from a kid for $30.00 and I can build a complete truck minus shocks plus spares for days lol!

I still want to try monster's universal center diff mount and mike said it will work if I access
To a guy who makes custom shafts.... which I do since my neighbor is FLM ha ha!

The battery move did improve it and braking isn't violent either so thanks for pointing it out!

Oh and is the 54t available yet. Cause your right....... with my 48/13 has me maxed out motor is sitting on servo and that's unneeded heat on it.i have a 50t but that is 2 teeth with not much of a gain on adjustability.

Oh and my oddball diff ring/pinion. Pinion is 11t vs the 13t the lst has but the pinion tooth pitch is so much smoother and quite. I figure it's a 8T ring and pinion.
Old 09-27-2017, 07:12 PM
Tech Regular

New mx38's came in woohoo! Time to tape them up
Old 09-28-2017, 12:25 PM
Tech Regular

I think I made the right choice

I think it rides too high or something
Old 09-28-2017, 08:25 PM
Tech Elite

Those tires look good!

Losi's website says the 54t spur will be available in early November. I haven't checked the exploded views yet to see what size bearing it needs but if I have to order something oddball from Avid so be it.

Your mystery pinion is not an 8ight part and is a Muggy part. 8ight 1.0 and 2.0 pinions were 10t and 13t, 3.0 and 4.0 are 12t and 13t, while Muggy used 11/45 for the diffs. 8ight pinions are also much longer than LST/Muggy pinions and would need to be cut down to work in a LST.
Old 09-29-2017, 04:33 AM
Tech Regular

The tires are very stable no ballooning obviously (love the wide APE tape) gripped very well in grass and the lugs omg I love the lugs!

I might be stuck with the 50t then cause 54t might require different bearing size?

My temps are right at 150-160* on super hot days and was hoping the 50t/12 would drop the temps but that 54t would be or would have been better.

I actually took both rigs out and did a back to back comparison

Easy transition between the two I will start with that

Cd truck with trencher x's felt heavier but steered like a track buggy
No wheelies unless I hammer it from a stop and on 5s speed is perfect

Tranny truck mx38's very light feel and steering was almost as good but 5955 is inferior
To the 7955...

Braking drastically improved from bigger tires no endos either

Wheelies but controllable very snappy and on 4s the speed is maybe touch faster than the cd truck but both accelerate out the hole like a bat out of hell..

Best thing about them? Neither broke like a Typical real MT lol
Old 09-29-2017, 07:10 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks for the driving impressions. Glad you're liking the transmission truck with the battery a little further back.

I hadn't checked the exploded views when I made my previous post. The 3XLe 54t spur uses the same 8mm inner diameter bearing as 8ight spur gears. I didn't feel like looking it up before I made the post and I didn't want to assume it was the same, just in case Losi decided to be jerks and change it.
Old 09-29-2017, 07:30 PM
Tech Regular

Yeah kinda figured it was too far forward but that’s what test and is for and you pointing it
Out helped too

My diff is from a vorza so I should be good and man a 54t would put me in the low 11.0’s
If I figured it right. Heck I might be able to put a 1717 up in there!
Old 09-29-2017, 07:52 PM
Tech Regular

Btw I’m not knocking the toro motor I’m using now it’s just I’m a castle fan is all

The hpi/castle 2200kv in the tranny lst with 24t pinion has yet got over 120*
Old 09-29-2017, 08:39 PM
Tech Elite

I like Castle as well. Love my 1717 (green can baby!) and still miss the 1518 and 1520 I had, should've never sold them.

Largest spur for the Vorza/Hot Bodies diff is 50t I believe which you said you had. The only larger spurs I know of are 51t Ofna in the crappy LX series and Associated's 54t for the RC8 series. After that it jumps to 66t I believe for the CRT.1 truggy. I already have a 50t Losi spur and center diff setup sitting around making the 54t Losi an option. If you have a spare diff cup and spider gears all you'd need are the outdrives and spur gear. Although I wonder if you could just reuse the Vorza outdrives?

Btw with a 1717 and 50t you can't go lower than 12t pinion otherwise the motor will hit the diff outdrive. Plus top speed is a bit too high for 6s on taped 6.89" Trenchers. Muggy 4.09:1 diff gears would solve this but they're hard to find. 12/54 drops the top speed to around 50mph and gets the motor further away from the outdrive.
Old 09-29-2017, 11:39 PM
Tech Regular

What about that leopard 4092. Is any good?

I’m half way there on muggy ring/ pinion and I wonder if I over looked my front diff since I found the muggy diff in rear. Time to tear down again grrr

Funny how this post has been. I shoulda titled it hey overdriven want to BS about cd/transmission lol
Old 09-30-2017, 09:53 AM
Tech Regular

Ok my losi 50t is smaller than my vorza (actually hb d8t) diff

So I need a complete diff that doesn’t have those tapered lip bearings
Old 09-30-2017, 11:35 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by grabbem88
What about that leopard 4092. Is any good?

I’m half way there on muggy ring/ pinion and I wonder if I over looked my front diff since I found the muggy diff in rear. Time to tear down again grrr

Funny how this post has been. I shoulda titled it hey overdriven want to BS about cd/transmission lol
I had a Leopard 4074 2000kv, it ran 10-15F hotter than my Tekin 2000kv and Castle 2200kv geared for the same top speed. Any power difference wasn't that noticeable. That's my only experience with Leopard, others seem to really like the 4092.

It's not that common but some people like to spin the front wheels faster than the rear by using different ratios front and rear. That may be what happened with your truck, or you could get lucky and have Muggy front and rear. It's a pain to do but I'd check the tooth count on the ring gear as well to make sure the previous owner didn't mix the Muggy pinion with LST ring gear.

3 pages and I think only 1 other person has posted! I guess they're all just absorbing and not contributing! Lol
Old 09-30-2017, 11:51 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by grabbem88
Ok my losi 50t is smaller than my vorza (actually hb d8t) diff

So I need a complete diff that doesn’t have those tapered lip bearings
??? I don't understand what is smaller? Losi 8ight 1.0 and 2.0 use flanged bearings (the little lip on one outer edge) from the factory but nothing is tapered. Also I just looked it up, Losi and d8t diff both use 8mm inner diameter bearings so you can reuse your current bearings.
Old 09-30-2017, 12:41 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Well since overdriven pointed it out I guess I have to post. lol Honestly just noticed this thread. Those tires look great! I went with big joes and so far so good. I converted mine from nitro to electric not to long ago and not once until now have I given a center diff a thought. I did not touch my transmission other than a cleaning on the build so I know someday it needs attention. I mounted my battery close back to the spur like you relocated to. Actually overdriven gave me a lot of advice on another forum throughout my build. Now you have my brain thinking about another lst cd project. Love this platform and it's great to see others do as well.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.