Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Zinergy
  • 1 Post By Steel_Rain

My new CEN Colossus XT

Old 08-02-2017, 07:09 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)
Default My new CEN Colossus XT

I finally pulled the trigger on one of these, mainly because I've been such a CEN fan dating back to the old Fun Factor line in the early 90's.

Upon opening the box, the first thing you are greeted with is four leaky shocks. The bottom of the box was covered in shock oil. It is my understanding that HRP is sending out new o-rings at no charge to help with this recall. It is not a fix, but does make things manageable.

I am amazed at how lightweight the truck is for its size. It's almost too light, if that is even possible. I believe for performance reasons the weight will be perfect, but it almost has a toy like quality and appears to be a bit flimsy to me. It is definitely not along the same lines as the X-Maxx or Redcat Rampage XT-E.

I'm eager to get this thing running, so I will definitely post up some of my findings. I have a feeling that I will love the truck, leaky shocks and all.
Old 08-02-2017, 07:27 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I felt the same way when I first saw one of these at the local track... it having toy like qualities. The guys were messing around doing a 1/5-1/7 scale class. Next to the Losi DBXL E it looked like a toy. Though at 40% cheaper than the Losi there is probably a reason for that. That didn't stop the owner from having a good time with it though.
TIME MACHINE likes this.
Old 05-02-2018, 08:54 PM
Tech Elite

so ? still got the CEN ? how is it running ?
Old 05-03-2018, 08:54 AM
Tech Regular

I have heard that the new CEN has smaller diff teeth compared to the older, which is sad.
Old 05-04-2018, 06:01 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

Originally Posted by werner sline View Post
so ? still got the CEN ? how is it running ?
I ended up selling it a few weeks after I bought it. I really wanted to like it, but I never really felt it did anything spectacular. It was large, but reasonably lightweight. It never felt "solid" in my hands. It was fairly fast for its size, but it was prone to rolling over (could be much better with tuning).

My Redcat Shredder V2 was just better in every category so I sold the CEN. I hope CEN puts out something else in the future, instead of being the one hit wonders that they are known for.

Old 05-04-2018, 12:00 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TIME MACHINE View Post

I ended up selling it a few weeks after I bought it. I really wanted to like it, but I never really felt it did anything spectacular. It was large, but reasonably lightweight. It never felt "solid" in my hands. It was fairly fast for its size, but it was prone to rolling over (could be much better with tuning).

My Redcat Shredder V2 was just better in every category so I sold the CEN. I hope CEN puts out something else in the future, instead of being the one hit wonders that they are known for.

I felt the same way about this truck. I bought Xmaxx wheel adapters and put my 8S Xmaxx wheels on it. What a difference. Now, it "feels" like a giant monster truck and isn't as tip over happy.

The stock CEN tires look cool, but they SUCK in just about any terrain.

This is the way it's supposed to be:

TIME MACHINE likes this.
Old 05-04-2018, 02:41 PM
Tech Elite

it looks indeed better ! did you break any parts ?
Old 05-05-2018, 05:44 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by werner sline View Post
it looks indeed better ! did you break any parts ?
Nothing yet. I think the CEN has a stout drivetrain. I did smoke a pinion (with the stock tires, mesh was loose from factory, I should have checked) but other then that, it's been fine.

I did upgrade the shocks the LST-XXL2e with some custom standoffs and It's got a 400+ in-oz HiTec servo in it.

Other then that, it's pretty much stock. I run it hard on 6s and it's a fun rig now.
Old 03-05-2020, 06:34 AM
Tech Rookie

Hey mate! How did you put the xmaxx wheels on it? Can you teach me?
Old 02-22-2021, 05:10 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Steel_Rain View Post
Nothing yet. I think the CEN has a stout drivetrain. I did smoke a pinion (with the stock tires, mesh was loose from factory, I should have checked) but other then that, it's been fine.

I did upgrade the shocks the LST-XXL2e with some custom standoffs and It's got a 400+ in-oz HiTec servo in it.

Other then that, it's pretty much stock. I run it hard on 6s and it's a fun rig now.
where did you get the wheel adapters and what shocks I hate these lol