Truck Recomendations >

Truck Recomendations

Like Tree8Likes

Truck Recomendations

Old 08-01-2017, 06:18 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Truck Recomendations

I was wondering what people would recommend for 1/8 scale or larger Monster Truck. I currently have a Yeti XL which is entirely too much work thus far and also have a Savage XS which I like a lot considering the size. I also have an Apache SC which I would love if it was more of a monster truck. I am looking for something fun but I prefer something that is reliable. I know things will break but it seems some it is every trip you take and others last considerably longer before having to do some work. I was look at the Arrma Trucks and some of them have good reviews as far as being hearty.

What would you all recommend?
Old 08-01-2017, 07:52 PM
Tech Adept

the kraton seems to be the best right now
Old 08-01-2017, 08:08 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

You will get a wide ramge of suggestions. And experiences. I don't have the Kraton. But from reading most seem positive. There's the Nero and it's other versions, while some have found it to very durable. My experience hasn't been that way. It's been almost every time out a small part, rod ends. Or at worst a u joint axle. On surface not major, but at $200 to upgrade axles. That's not small change.
There's the XMaxx. Despite its problems, there nothing really like it. I've got both 6s and 8s version. And yes I've broken a number of parts. But they broke mostly from what I did. Not from Just fault of vehicle.
The Outcast. Was off to solid start but the wheelie bar has become in issue for me. And since it currently can't be run without it, it connects to rear chassis brace. It's caused a few problem.
Old 08-02-2017, 06:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

If you're using a monster truck as a basher I'd get a truggy. You won't beat the durability.

A friend had an Arrma Kraton and he hated it and sold it.

I would avoid HPI at this time. Their financials are in the dumps and nobody knows how long they will be around or if they'll have spare parts available.
Old 08-02-2017, 07:04 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Remember
You answered your own question
If you are running them hard and flipping them hard enough to break parts then nothing will survive that kind of beating...
It may for a while but it will break they ALL do!
1/8 scale buggies will take a huge beating
Slash 4x4's will take it also
SC10's will take it
Slash 2wd will take it
the list keeps going
but at some point I have seen them all break from chassis failure to pinion gears ....
Think about taking a full size truck and doing what we do to these things failure is going to happen quickly
Old 08-02-2017, 07:15 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by monsterbrad View Post
Remember
You answered your own question
If you are running them hard and flipping them hard enough to break parts then nothing will survive that kind of beating...
It may for a while but it will break they ALL do!
1/8 scale buggies will take a huge beating
Slash 4x4's will take it also
SC10's will take it
Slash 2wd will take it
the list keeps going
but at some point I have seen them all break from chassis failure to pinion gears ....
Think about taking a full size truck and doing what we do to these things failure is going to happen quickly
I don't mind if they break because I wreck it or do some crazy jump. I've just had a few vehicles where the diffs wouldn't last with easy driving. Actually I have had three cars to do that. Where as my HPI Apache is old as dirt and besides a broken hub and fried ESC it has been rock solid.

I had a Slash and it was indeed a robust vehicle, I just prefer the 1/8 scale vehicles.
Old 08-02-2017, 07:17 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Recommend

Tekno mt410 or arrma are good solid choices. If u got the cash to invest in a tekno u won't be disappointed at all and prolly save money in long run vs upgrades of other choices. But arrma makes solid rigs that are rtr if you don't wanna put a kit together. Both have their advantage, but tekno is deff more durable in my experience. With minor improvements arrma can also be tweaked to be almost as durable but u will have to invest in a few aftermarket parts and a few mods. Good luck with your decision. P.s. the traxxas 8s xmaxx has also been a rock solid rig for me so far with zero breakage, but price is a lil steep by time u buy rig and batteries. Rtr with xmaxx is a plus.
Old 08-02-2017, 07:17 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
If you're using a monster truck as a basher I'd get a truggy. You won't beat the durability.

A friend had an Arrma Kraton and he hated it and sold it.

I would avoid HPI at this time. Their financials are in the dumps and nobody knows how long they will be around or if they'll have spare parts available.
Are there any particular truggies you would recommend. I bought a HobbyKing truggie for my kid and it is pretty fun vehicle.
Old 08-02-2017, 07:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kenyken View Post
Are there any particular truggies you would recommend. I bought a HobbyKing truggie for my kid and it is pretty fun vehicle.
Tekno has legendary durability. They also have a monster truck kit, as mentioned above, which I had forgotten about.

Tekno, Associated, or Losi for truggies.
Old 08-02-2017, 10:28 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Tekno has legendary durability. They also have a monster truck kit, as mentioned above, which I had forgotten about.

Tekno, Associated, or Losi for truggies.
Thanks I will look into those. I have never owned a Tekno or Team Associated vehicle, so I will do some digging on those. Still eye balling a Kraton though 😀
Old 08-02-2017, 10:29 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks everyone for all of the input. I greatly appreciate all the feedback.
Old 08-02-2017, 10:52 AM
Tech Champion

Get the Kraton, or a Tekno if you have double the budget.

I would not buy the new Associated truggy. The old one, yes. But AE went all light in the loafers to save fractions off seconds of lap times. They are no longer basher quality from what I gather. The truggy - and buggy - have had lots of durability issues from what I have read..

I think the advice to get a race truggy was right five years ago. Not so much anymore. They've all gone light in the loafers - except Tekno.. Lexan wings and all kinds of stupid-axx nonsense..

I personally would get the Kraton, but just because I could not afford $1k for a kitted out Tekno. The Kraton is a no-brainer purchase. The Tekno is probably the best money can buy - but yeah, it costs a lot of money...

The LST XXL-E is also worth a look...
Zinergy, 3500ltz, kenyken and 1 others like this.
Old 08-02-2017, 11:06 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Pretty much what that guy said.
kenyken likes this.
Old 08-02-2017, 11:58 AM
Tech Adept

The Kraton is def more in line with my budget, lol. Thanks!
Old 08-02-2017, 12:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

the Kraton is pretty good...
they do have diff issues but if you read about them and get them shimmed correctly they will take some serious abuse.
My stock Talion took over a year to break the back diff....no shimming at all.
That was all on 6s with the stock motor and Mamba monster.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.