Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
Getting back into bashing: Truggy or MT? >

Getting back into bashing: Truggy or MT?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree16Likes

Getting back into bashing: Truggy or MT?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 10:59 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

HPI savage flux can pretty much go over anything at a high-speed I found. Look up some videos with it and I think you might find a winner. I love mine
Old 05-31-2017, 08:05 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default NITRO!!!

I used to say that same thing....
Now I can't stand them
NOTHING like electric big block power sound!!!
Nitro is cool don't get me wrong and so is 2 stroke I have experienced them all.
But as us older guys get older the sound of the engine is annoying!
Old 05-31-2017, 08:19 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

It's not that the sound of the engine annoys me... I like it and I like the feel of the powerband of a nitro/2 stroke..... but they are just a PITA to deal with. All my nitro friends always say "their not bad"..... but almost every time we go out to bash I drop my cars and start bashing and they have to mess around for 10-30 minutes before the fun can begin.

I have enough motors/carbs to tune with my other hobbies.... electric R/C is my break from dirt bikes and ATVs and boats and all the BS that goes along with owning those toys.
AJH387 likes this.
Old 05-31-2017, 09:07 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Zinergy
It's not that the sound of the engine annoys me... I like it and I like the feel of the powerband of a nitro/2 stroke..... but they are just a PITA to deal with. All my nitro friends always say "their not bad"..... but almost every time we go out to bash I drop my cars and start bashing and they have to mess around for 10-30 minutes before the fun can begin.

I have enough motors/carbs to tune with my other hobbies.... electric R/C is my break from dirt bikes and ATVs and boats and all the BS that goes along with owning those toys.
Honestly that is the exact reason that I went with electric, when I got back into RC. Strictly a convenience thing. But I fully understand people who enjoy the whole nitro experience.
Old 05-31-2017, 09:21 AM
Tech Adept

do truggy chassis layout. MT410 is good.
the battery trays in revo and other models with those type of battery trays get kind of cumbersom when trying to replace the batteries sometimes. plastic chassis etc. truggy style is def more durable aswell.
Old 05-31-2017, 01:30 PM
Tech Fanatic

I too did Nitro for many many years
When brushless and Lipos hit I was stubborn and would not give in...
thats until I experienced a 5.5 Novak in a 1/10 truck..
SOLD been outa Nitro ever since
Old 05-31-2017, 02:04 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I dunno if the Nitro/Electric feud will ever die. My Dad bought me a Nitro Brute when I was 8 years old and I remember that it would take as long to set it up / get it to run correctly then I ever did driving it.

Things change and Nitro is better now.

I have friends with Nitro's that have all migrated to electric now. I have done the same. Everyone has a preference, but I think if you asked everyone in this Hobby if they think Nitro/gas will survive much longer, I think many would say no, even if they are current owners.

The facts are these...What is the ratio of newly engineered Nitro/Gas Hobby vehicle's (including airplanes and boats) verse electric? What are the main advantages of nitro/gas other then a more authentic sound? Run time with modern Lipo packs and charge time with the near future lipo packs is becoming more and more attractive.
Old 06-05-2017, 06:24 AM
Tech Regular

The one thing about nitro is it's more maintenance. You have to understand how the engine works and tune it to some degree. Electric it's just charging and go, pretty fool proof
Old 06-06-2017, 08:55 AM
Tech Champion

A race track is an interesting place to compare. While I agree for everyday messing around/bashing electric does have the advantage of entailing less input from the owner/driver, having less maintenance, etc.., watching an electric heat is like watching paint dry, or worse.. I absolutely would never ever race electric. It is, IMHO, a massive dork fest. No offense, but I would rather look at somebody's stamp collection.

Also, the level of maintenance for nitro has a lot to do with the gear you buy and your clue level about how to use it. My engines were always as set-and-forget as you could get. Get a decent clutch, shim it right, and a good outer filter, and there's not much to do. I do agree changing clutches sucks, but I always got good lifteimes out of my clutches.. (2-3 gallons?)... The sound is not to be underestimated. It is, IMO, more than just a nice side thing. To me, it's of the essence of the whole experience. Even a brushless MT at full tilt does not offer the exhileration of a slightly slower nitro MT. To repeat an oft-used analogy, electric is like an action movie on mute..
Old 06-06-2017, 09:02 AM
Tech Addict

I really don't see how watching a nitro race is any more exciting than watching and electric. Because regardless of the race either way I'm thinking... why am I watching this and not racing in it? And racing electric is pretty fun IMO.

I have never been a guy who can just go to the track all day or half a day unless I'm there to race. Was flipping through the channels and saw a pro 1/8th scale nitro buggy race on TV the other day and I was like "whatttt R/C racing on the TV, cool"... watched for about 4 minutes and thought... huh this is extremely boring.

Last edited by Zinergy; 06-06-2017 at 09:25 AM.
Old 06-06-2017, 09:37 AM
Tech Champion

When I say "watch RC" I mean driving too.. But the point is made if you have to stand around for hours between heats, as one is usually required to do at organized races..

I like watching Maifield race. Nitro... Electric I couldn't be bothered..
Old 06-06-2017, 10:49 AM
Tech Addict

Well, just so you know.... you're just as much of a dork as the electric guys.
Old 06-06-2017, 11:09 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I would never run nitro. I wouldn't be able to drive at the park, bmx track, or in my neighborhood. Why? Because the sound is annoying as crap and no one wants to hear it. An RC track would be the ONLY place I could drive it, that would get old and boring.
Old 06-06-2017, 11:12 AM
Tech Addict

Just have to make some trails in the woods. Nitro is cool, just more work than I wanted to put into this hobby. But to think one is more of a "dork fest" than the other is just denial of ones self.
Old 06-06-2017, 11:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Zinergy
Just have to make some trails in the woods. Nitro is cool, just more work than I wanted to put into this hobby. But to think one is more of a "dork fest" than the other is just denial of ones self.
But but, we don't have woods in my city =/ we have angry neighbors that call me an idiot for driving my nitro on our street lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.