Search

Emaxx Build

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 09:41 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default Emaxx Build

Hey guys,

I like projects so I am going to look for an older (pre-brushless) Emaxx roller and update with the new chassis, upgrade shocks, etc. Traxxas MXL-6S (should be Castle) and a 2200-2700kv motor. I realize that it is probably cheaper to buy one but I really want a project.

I was wondering if anyone knew if the differentials or transmission was upgraded at any point and if I should look for one of those Emaxxs (or a Tmaxx, suppose it doesnt matter).

Thanks!
Old 03-08-2017, 09:12 AM
Tech Rookie

Just go with the Kmaxx diff cases with either cen or spider diffs , u should be good to go
Old 03-08-2017, 10:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

If you really want a project Emaxx I'd just assemble one from parts. You'll end up not using too many parts if you start with any kind of roller. I wouldn't bother with any Traxxas diff and would go with either KMaxx Kustoms or FLM Hybrid bulkheads with 1/8 diffs of your choice.

Traxxas Diffs. There are 3 basic Maxx diffs, EMaxx 14.4v/Tmaxx 2.5, Tmaxx 2.5r/3.3 and Emaxx 16.8v/brushless edition. Tmaxx 2.5r/3.3 are sealed like Brushless edition but lack a few parts inside the diff cup that strengthen them. Have a look at the exploded views on Traxxas website to see the differences. If you must go with a Traxxas diffs get the brushless edition diffs, ditch the Teflon washers and shim them properly with real metal shims. That'll make them as strong as they can be.

The trans from the older 3906 14.4v Emaxx won't last with brushless unless you upgrade it. Those upgrade parts are long discontinued and the bolt pattern of the trans is different from the newer trans. The newer trans is basically bulletproof and has aftermarket slippers available so just go with that.

Motor. You posted 2200-2700kv. You really don't want anything higher than 2200kv as gearing it correctly can become an issue, especially on higher voltages. Also motors available in kv higher than about 2200kv tend to be cheap crap motors that run hot and don't last. Your $, do what you want.
Old 03-08-2017, 02:33 PM
Tech Regular

I would suggest a custom build with hybrid bulks as others has mentioned. Instead of a gearbox you can get a center diff from rc monster.
Old 03-09-2017, 11:15 AM
Tech Adept

Wow! Awesome advice guys. Thanks a ton. Gonna go start scouring eBay...

Also, I will stick to 2200 or less.
Old 03-09-2017, 11:35 AM
Tech Regular

Go for the sensored castle motor, it is much smoother than regular.
Old 03-09-2017, 11:49 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by FunnieKid
Go for the sensored castle motor, it is much smoother than regular.
RC Monster was pretty cool btw - I am open to the center diff idea but I would really like to use the factory brushless chassis. Mainly for ease of replacement. I did not see anything on their site, but is it easily adaptable to the stock chassis?

Thanks!
Old 03-09-2017, 06:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by teklein
RC Monster was pretty cool btw - I am open to the center diff idea but I would really like to use the factory brushless chassis. Mainly for ease of replacement. I did not see anythingg on their site, but is it easily adaptable to the stock chassis?

Thanks!
The RC-Monster, or a similar center diff that places the motor above the diff, can be adapted to any EMaxx chassis fairly easily. These types of center diffs typically attach to the center skid plate. Making your own center skid plate is easy enough, even easier is buying a center skid plate for your chassis and then drilling mounting holes for the center diff. RC-Monster's center diff kit comes with a template for this.

The only other center diff I know of that mounts the motor above the diff is from one of the Thunder Tiger monster trucks. Another option is using a 1/8 buggy/Truggy center diff from a nitro. You can them make and mount a motor plate to the center diff. If you're really interested doing a center diff I'd recommend searching RC-monster's forums for examples of others work.

Another recommendation is do some gearing calculations before buying a motor. I haven't ran any calcs in awhile for similar combinations but if you're thinking 6s a lower kv motor may be in order. Either way go with the largest spur gear available for the diff.