Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
Losi LST2, front mounted battery tray - best option? >

Losi LST2, front mounted battery tray - best option?

Losi LST2, front mounted battery tray - best option?

Old 02-21-2017, 01:01 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Losi LST2, front mounted battery tray - best option?

I'm finalising my parts list for electrifying my LST2 but the last sticking point is the battery tray.
I have some specific criteria and they are:
1) Must be front mounted, either behind the steering servos or above.
2) Must be able to accommodate one, 4S battery in the size of approximately 158 x 46 x 41mm (+/-).

I've seen that some people have used a chopped Losi tray (LOS241012 or LOSB0017, any difference?) and someone has also used a Hyper 9E tray. Are these the go to trays and are they suitable for my battery specs?

Cheers,
Tom.

Last edited by Tommygunn; 02-21-2017 at 03:46 AM.
Old 02-21-2017, 03:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

There are tons of choices out there. You can use a battery tray from another vehicle, you can cut down a chassis and just use the battery compartment or you can make your own. Cutting down a plastic chassis is simple, make sure your battery fits, cut away what you don't need and add straps. 1/10 chassis can be cheap or you may have one laying around. Making my own out of 3mm Lexan is my new favorite. Just trace the battery on a sheet of Lexan, trace some flaps to fold like a cardboard box, cut it all out, heat where you want to fold, fold and hold until it cools. You now have a nearly indestructible battery tray.

Your battery is longer than standard hardcase specs, the other dimensions are the same as other packs. I don't know the dimensions of LOS241012 (XXL2e) tray, LOSB0017 is long enough to accommodate your pack though. I did get LOSB0017 on a LST2 chassis but it was tight, touching the gear cover and had to raise it slightly to not crush the servo wires. I had a 9e tray as well, but that was on a XXL chassis. I do not know the dimensions of the 9e tray or if it would fit your battery or the shorter LST2 chassis. Maybe you can google the specs on it.
Old 03-13-2017, 04:33 AM
Tech Initiate

I decided to go with the homemade option and came up with that below. Perfect slip fit for the Zippy packs I'll be using.
Unfortunately, I can't post a pic because I havn't got enough posts. How many is it?

Cheers,
Tom.

Last edited by Tommygunn; 03-13-2017 at 04:34 PM.
Old 03-13-2017, 04:40 AM
Tech Initiate

Now I can:

Old 03-13-2017, 04:15 PM
Tech Rookie

Really clean! Nice job!

My only concern would be that it looks a little thin and may deform during hard bashing's. If you could TIG up the corners that would be ideal.

Or putting a Velcro strap length ways would probably help too.
Old 03-13-2017, 04:32 PM
Tech Initiate

A bit of weld would, of course, be ideal, however, that is not likely to happen. I will see how it goes but grabbing a corner in hand does tell me that it is very rigid as is.

Tom.
Old 03-14-2017, 06:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I can understand the trepidation about the corners not being secured. But as long as the straps are tight you'd be surprised how little it takes to keep the pack in there. Just keep an eye on it after roll overs to see if the sides bend at all and go from there.

That's a nice looking tray, I especially like how you dimpled the bottom so the screws are countersunk.