Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
TRX 2.5 problem, please help me >

TRX 2.5 problem, please help me

TRX 2.5 problem, please help me

Old 01-15-2006, 10:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default TRX 2.5 problem, please help me

I have a Revo with a 2.5 engine, I broke the engine in, and have run my truck just fine without any problems. But now when I start the engine, it runs fine, but as soon as I take the glow igniter off it dies. I have tried new glow plugs and it still dies. I cant figure it out. please help
Old 01-15-2006, 02:28 PM
Tech Initiate

try making it leaner, so that it will be hotter, and keep the glow plug glowing.

also, try starting with a little throttle, to get its rpms high for a little, to keep the plug hot.
another thing, you havnt touched the idle speed screw have you? if you havnt, turn it clockwise 1/2 of a turn. mine, when i got it, wasnt set properly , and i had to do this.

i hope it helps!
Old 01-15-2006, 02:31 PM
Suspended

Have you tried to preheat the motor to 200 degrees before starting it? if not then give it a shot.It should make it a bit easier.Most times when it stalls only when you remover the glow ignightor it is either to rich at the low end or the plug is going bad.
Old 01-15-2006, 02:44 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

A friend just went through this with his TMAXX... It was too rich on the LSN... Had to lean it by 2 full turns... I don't think the factory settings work anymore on the LSN... it is a Picco .21... Manual stated 10.5 from fully closed... more like 8.5 from fully closed (just under flush on the slide)... No matter it runs now...

Do you have fuel dripping out of your pipe? This was my first clue he LSN was WAY too rich... It just made sense cause the HSN is 2.5 turns from closed (flush)...

But then again every engine is different...
Old 01-15-2006, 04:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

OK I leaned the motor out at 1/2 turn increments, until it reached 2 full turns and the engine is still dying after glow igniter is removed, I also tried heating the engine up with a portable heater, and still no success. I even tried 3 different glow plugs, any other suggestions? I appreciate everyones help.
Old 01-15-2006, 04:25 PM
Suspended

set your low speed needle to 1 turn from fully closed, and your high speed needle 4 turns from fully flosed..it should run halfway decent there,then you can set it a bit from there..oh and only make 1/8th turn adjustments unless you know for sure you are way out of the ballpark.
Old 01-16-2006, 12:15 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

This might be a long shot, but is your plug in the right way? Do you have the copper washer in between the plug and the underhead? Serious, perhaps it is not making a good seal... Is there fuel on the top of the head, around the outside of the glow plug.. This could cause you to lose compression and not fire properly...

We had the same problem on my buddies TMAXX. This was just before we leaned the LSN... It would die about 2/3 seconds after the glow stick was removed. I took the plug out, checked the copper ring, cleaned around the hole, and put it back in... no more leak...

The underhead is made of soft metals so it can be distorted easily. I actually stripped the one in my Savage because I was turning the plug "extra" tight... Not anymore..