Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RC8T CE Brushless Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 10:25 PM
Tech Champion

Sorry, OK, had a terminology brainfart.

I don't baby stuff either. It's just one of the reasons I prefer sticking with 4s - no need to. With 6s you have to baby things. And 4s is fun enough if geared right I find. All I really need it for is blasting up and down a gravel road, and a few jumps here and there. I think AE and MT4 G3 diffs are pretty rock solid, so don't quite agree that they are issue-prone. I've never had issues in any of my AE cars, and my SC8 anyway has been thrashed - lot of drifting and high grip goofing around on an onroad track, etc. Have a few races and additional engine testing on the truggy. Strong diffs is actually one thing AE has been know for for a long time. Or was, before the new generation. Same with the MT4 G3 - strong diffs. If there were issues, it was on 6s. I've never had issues on 4s, and it's got a lot of run time on it.

I think 6s, and yes even the LRP ZR.30X, will strain any 8th scale diffs to be honest.. (And the LRP is hard on LST2 transmissions I've learned..)

Last edited by Herrsavage; 12-21-2016 at 10:37 PM.
Old 12-22-2016, 01:51 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Thats a new one on me. Never had a diff gear issue on either of mine. It was diff case leaks that plagued these trucks. Sounds like shimming issues to me.
Old 12-22-2016, 03:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by wrenchdoctor
Thats a new one on me. Never had a diff gear issue on either of mine. It was diff case leaks that plagued these trucks. Sounds like shimming issues to me.
I have shimmed my diffs every way possible. The only way that works is to use exactly what the instructions say. If you add even one extra shim inside the cup with the spider gears it gets way too tight. This problem reared its ugly head when the gears went out of stock everywhere. Once they came back in stock I ordered several sets from Tower and have had problems ever since. Maybe it's a bad batch of gears?
Old 12-26-2016, 03:03 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I run an rc8te on 6s and have had no issues with the drivetrain. I run aluminum diff cups front rear and center from a thunder tiger(cups are the same but have to order them from europe). Also run aluminum gear boxes front and rear.

Also awhile back I found heavier duty axles from a different associated truck that fit almost perfect for the front and rear. I had posted about them somewhere here on the forum showing the difference

I run a rc8be and rc8.2e on 5/6s with no issues and I run them hard. Also run a rc8.2 with novarossi

I think I may have broke one spider gear in my 6s buggy landing flat out
Old 12-27-2016, 12:27 AM
Tech Champion

Tell me more about the axles... That's the one thing I don't have spares of.
Old 12-28-2016, 04:07 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

They are from a mgt 4.6

older post here on the forum..
I was getting 4 cvds for like 18 shipped on ebay. The cross pins at the dogbone end of the cvd were longer but on the back they fit fine, It rubbed a bit on the a arm but was fine. You could always cut them down a bit with a dremel, also cvd fit the rear shaft.

The 4.6 shaft is a bit longer then normal rc8t so have to set the droop so it don't bottom out the shaft it the diff cup.

Only thing is they have to come off a 4.6 not a 8.0. The 8.0 end cvd bone won't fit into rc8 output shaft.
Old 12-29-2016, 12:28 AM
Tech Champion

Thanks a lot. So 4.6 axles should fit. I will look into getting some. Here in Europe they should be widely available, and cheap...

Bit off topic, but here's my 100mph+ Christmas present..