What did I buy?

Old 09-14-2016, 04:24 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Questions?? What did I buy?

Hi guys,

I started the nitro hobby a month ago with a broken Revo 3.3 from eBay.
I fixed it up and I love it. I spent large amount of money on it.
I bought almost every upgrade I could. I know lot of people don't like the TRX 3.3 engine, but I have no problem with it yet.

Well I promised I won't spend more money this year. Guess what?
I bought another Truck from eBay. I got a good deal on it.
However I don't know what I bought.
They let it go for $200 + $20 shipping.
Here is the link for the Truck:
Well, I can't post urls nor pictures.
Just put this after ebay dot com/ itm/LOSI-XXL-GAS-RADIO-CONTROL-TRUCK-SS2007612-/222156648593

I haven't received it yet. I'm so confused between LST vs LST2, LST XXL and LST XXL2. I'd like to know if this Truck is good or no. Also if this the real LST XXL.

Thank you.
Old 09-14-2016, 05:08 PM
Tech Master

you bought a used Losi XXL with a 454 motor..... nitro monster good luck.. not knowing its past..
Old 09-14-2016, 06:26 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

You bought a truck that if tuned properly is gonna blow the doors off your revo and your mind....lol then your gonna convert it to electric if you choose to and its gonna blow your mind again.......some on the rc world will attest to the fact that the Losi xxl is the best 1/8 mt ever....
Old 09-14-2016, 06:40 PM
Tech Addict

Ok so i checked the item....it looks like you bought either a lst 1 or a aftershock..the lst and aftershock have the 14mm hubs and smaller aarms. The lst2 and xxl have the thicker aarms and are 17mm. Its not a big deal but the add was misleading...you can buy a upgrade kit from losi or amainhobbies or you can just buy adapters for the 14mm to make them 17...that way you will have a much better selection of wheels and tires...if i were you i would be careful about buying used nitro or anything from ebay...your much better buying on here..or craigslist that way you can have them fire it up and run it..cheers and good luck
Old 09-14-2016, 06:44 PM
Tech Addict

Also i dont know if you've ever tried brushless electric but if you havent your in for a treat to say the least...nitro is cool but brushless is whole different beast..
Old 09-14-2016, 11:05 PM
Tech Initiate

Thank you guys for the information.

Well, so this is not the XXL version?
It's so confusing now. I was hoping I bought the XXL version.
I wanted to get a Savage XXL nitro, but couldn't find a really good deal on it.
And I found this I messaged the seller and he said I can have it for $200.

The LST and Aftershock are both 1/8? Somewhere I read the XXL has a longer chassis.

I use to check the local craigslist, but here nothing really comes up.
I didn't know you guys have a big sale/trade thread here.

One of the local guy has an e-revo brushless. It's cool and fast on 3S, but it's so quiet.
I love the noise what the nitro makes also the smell. I'm not ready yet for the electric.
Maybe if I can find a good truggy.
Old 09-14-2016, 11:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

It's a LST1, has the blue anodized shocks that aren't threaded, trans has reverse and hi/low selector on it, dead giveaways it's a LST1. LST1 and Aftershock share the same suspension arms, knuckles, c-hubs, cvd's and 14mm wheel hex, but Aftershock has plastic threaded body shocks and is forward only. LST2 and the later XXL trucks have stronger suspension arms, c-hubs, knuckles, cvd's and 20mm wheel hex stock. The 8mm stub axles of the LST2 cvd's make it easier to switch to 17mm than the LST1. LST2 and later trucks had a variety of different shocks depending on the model but all are threaded.

As far as I know those kits that upgrade trucks to LST2 spec (I believe they're called "LST2 performance upgrade kit) are discontinued and I haven't seen any anywhere in quite awhile. The cheapest way to do the upgrade now is to buy the suspension arms, hubs, knuckles with bearings and cvd's from the chop shops on eBay. It'll cost about $100 plus wheels and tires. Up to you whether or not to do the upgrade, either way still one of the best trucks out there. The LST1 spec stuff isn't really bad, the LST2 stuff is tougher and is all most need to have a durable vehicle. Unlike other vehicles where you have to go aftermarket to have a durable vehicle.

$200 is pretty fair price but the ad is misleading with them putting XXL in the description. Because of that and since eBay is all about the buyer and screwing over sellers you could probably back out easily if you wanted.
Old 09-15-2016, 08:21 AM
Tech Initiate

Thanks for your input. Very informative.
I still have one more question about LST and XXL.
What's the difference between LST2 and XXL, just the longer chassis?

I tried to find any upgrade kit but looks like nothing left anymore.

Probably I'm going to keep the Truck. I just don't want to screw the seller.
He was nice to deal with and also lowered the price for me.
Old 09-15-2016, 10:33 AM
Tech Adept

The main differences as far as I know between the LST2 and XXL (nitro) are, as you mentioned, the longer chassis on the xxl, and the XXL also has taller gears in the transmission. When the XXL (nitro) was released, it also came box stock with the 454 engine, which is a .28. The LST 2 had I believe a .26 size engine.

Upgrades and support for these trucks has unfortunately been on the down turn these past few years. You do have a good, solid platform in the LST though. Nice find.
Old 09-15-2016, 10:48 AM
Tech Addict

It looked to be fairly clean from the pics i saw. Parts support is actually on the up with the release of the xxl2e..so basically what i would do is order new aarms, axles, lrp makes a engine for these trucks, i think its a .30 or .32 and from what i hear its a real badass of a motor..and not very pricey. Or you can buy a motor mount and battery trey from RCMonster as well as a few odds and ends..put a Leopard 1480kv or Castle 1717 motor in there and strap in for the ride...ill post a couple pics of mine for reference
Attached Thumbnails What did I buy?-20160721_073152_hdr.jpg   What did I buy?-20160721_073226_hdr.jpg   What did I buy?-20160721_073340_hdr.jpg  
Old 09-15-2016, 07:28 PM
Tech Regular

Check out my brushless converted thread a few down on the list. I took my brushless aftershock from ebay and turned it into a xxl2e using chop shops and browsing good o'le ebay
Old 09-15-2016, 07:52 PM
Tech Master

Don't mean to repeat info that's already been posted I just like providing a clear picture.

Losb0014 is the part number for the LST2 upgrade kit but it's been discontinued according to Horizonhobby.com and is hard to find. eBay chop shops are your best bet if you want to upgrade. As it's been said it's the arms, c-hubs, knuckles, bearings, cvd's, your choice of 17mm or 20mm hex and wheels and tires to go along with them.

LST1 has a few features unique to it. There's a knob on top of the transmission that manually switches between low and high, high is equal to LST2 transmission gearing. LST1 shock bodies are unique to that model all shock parts are interchangable. Worst feature is the outer diff cases are plastic, all other LST models are aluminum. Not the end of the world, but plastic can flex allowing the diff gear mesh to change and possibly ruin gears with big power.

XXL trucks have the longer chassis, which incidentally the truck you bought has a XXL body on it. If you want to go XXL you'll need the main chassis plate, plastic side rails (center skid is the same on all LST's) and the center driveshafts which are both the same length. The XXL had plastic threaded body shocks, XXL2 and XXL2e have red anodized threaded aluminum shock bodies. XXL has taller gearing in the trans, XXL2 and XXL2 trans gearing is the same as LST1 and LST2. One of the best features of the XXL's is Losi put a better diff in them, called HD diffs. HD diffs are identical to all other LST diffs except for the diff cup that holds the spider gears. Losi modified the cup with steel inserts to support the spider gear cross pins adding strength.
Old 09-15-2016, 07:58 PM
Tech Master

If it was me I'd run the truck as is, verify the motor is good and go from there. If you like it start collecting parts. First thing I'd do is lookup the diff shims on any LST manual and get a set. Go through the diffs and shim them, make sure the wheel nuts are tight and have some fun. If the diffs are marginal or toast, buying brand new complete diffs from the chop shops makes the most sense.

It's true there is t much aftermarket for these trucks anymore. You basically have to scrounge for aftermarket stuff although Hot Racing and Losi themselves do have a few items. In my opinion, LST2 spec trucks don't really need anything, LST1 spec will break an arm now and then but that's about it.
Old 09-15-2016, 11:50 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by FLDan View Post
The main differences as far as I know between the LST2 and XXL (nitro) are, as you mentioned, the longer chassis on the xxl, and the XXL also has taller gears in the transmission. When the XXL (nitro) was released, it also came box stock with the 454 engine, which is a .28. The LST 2 had I believe a .26 size engine.

Upgrades and support for these trucks has unfortunately been on the down turn these past few years. You do have a good, solid platform in the LST though. Nice find.
Thanks the info. I read about the 454 and I just read good about it.

Originally Posted by waller2010 View Post
It looked to be fairly clean from the pics i saw. Parts support is actually on the up with the release of the xxl2e..so basically what i would do is order new aarms, axles, lrp makes a engine for these trucks, i think its a .30 or .32 and from what i hear its a real badass of a motor..and not very pricey. Or you can buy a motor mount and battery trey from RCMonster as well as a few odds and ends..put a Leopard 1480kv or Castle 1717 motor in there and strap in for the ride...ill post a couple pics of mine for reference
Well, for now I'd like to keep it stock. One day I'll convert it to brushless. I see you have two of these? Nice.

Originally Posted by BuGgYBaShEr.28 View Post
Check out my brushless converted thread a few down on the list. I took my brushless aftershock from ebay and turned it into a xxl2e using chop shops and browsing good o'le ebay
I found your thread. I'm going to read it through. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Overdriven View Post
If it was me I'd run the truck as is, verify the motor is good and go from there. If you like it start collecting parts. First thing I'd do is lookup the diff shims on any LST manual and get a set. Go through the diffs and shim them, make sure the wheel nuts are tight and have some fun. If the diffs are marginal or toast, buying brand new complete diffs from the chop shops makes the most sense.

It's true there is t much aftermarket for these trucks anymore. You basically have to scrounge for aftermarket stuff although Hot Racing and Losi themselves do have a few items. In my opinion, LST2 spec trucks don't really need anything, LST1 spec will break an arm now and then but that's about it.
Thank you for the great information again! Probably I'm going to keep it stock for now.
Old 09-15-2016, 11:56 PM
Tech Champion

The 454 is a good engine. What was NOT good on the Aftershocks was the pipe.

I can't see a link to it.

If it's an Aftershock/LST1, run it stock. Unless it has an Aftershock pipe and (carbon) clutch on it. If so, get the LST2/XXL clutch and pipe.

And keep an eye out for an LST2 upgrade kit. Will take time and patience and searching, but worth keeping an eye out for. Same with a New Era roll-bar.

I'm not sure what all is involved, but converting to 17mm, with for ex. MT4 G3 stock wheels/tires, would be a great idea. MT4 G3 tires are big but light. LST tires have always been very heavy. Going lighter makes everything better...

FYI, the Aftershock had a brash bushing in the 2-speed instead of a bearing. The LST2, XXL, and I assume XXL-2 have the bearing.

The LST2 had a hi/low switch for the tranmission. The XXL had +1 on the clutch bell, and higher internal gearing on the tranny output gear for more top speed.

I was never really convinced that it made sense to upgrade an Aftershock piece by piece to an LST2/XXL.. There are just too many things to change. Which is why the LST2 upgrade kit would be ideal...

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service